Muppets The corner of the UK & Ireland where muppetry happens. Totally off topic, word association, useless stuff and general messing about.

ATTN: Muppets

Old 06-23-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,

Some time soon this evening, my feathered co-CO will be posting a new thread in the "main" forum dealing with some slightly revised guidelines dealing with what gets posted where.

Please take the time to read the AdministrativeSkylark's missive. However, the gist of it will be that the board has become much more active in the past few months, and that as a result we are seeing more material in the "main" forum which arguably lives in here.

As things stand, we only have a hard core of "muppet" posters in here, partly because we're seen (rightly or wrongly) as being rather frivolous. We're hoping we can encourage more people to visit OT and to post in here rather than in the main forum unless the thread is purely S2000-related.

To get the UK s2ki populace at large to do that, we're going to have to tone things down a bit in here. No-one is suggesting that muppeteering should stop. Far from it. Rather, it is plea for moderation (if you'll pardon the pun) - if/when people start threads in here which are off topic but which are "serious" (for instance, motoring threads which aren't S2000 specific), can we please not all pile in and turn it into a muppets free for all? I don't for a moment think that that would happen, but I do wonder if maybe the reason more people don't post here is because they assume that is what will happen.

So, away to your heart's content on the old mainstays - WA, James, Knotted Hanky etc etc will always be the spiritual home of the UK muppets. Please just bear in mind the new guidelines when we (hopefully) get a wider audience posting here in OT.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 06-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

One question for everyone - do we want a separate section within off topic for all the real muppetry threads - the ones where we just mess about and post whore - like the USA corner, a proper UK corner ?

Very interested in your thoughts on that....
Old 06-23-2003, 02:23 PM

It might be a better idea that mixing them up in the one Off Topic section, depends what majority wants tho and how easy/difficult it is to set up.

At least that way muppets can make a "tit" of themselves without the whole of S2k being aware of it. Some of us do have some image to uphold you know

Sorry if this drifted off topic, i have no idea what is or isn't allowed in what section anymore
Old 06-23-2003, 02:39 PM

CORNER ?
Old 06-23-2003, 02:41 PM

Christopher, this is serious and only serious imput is required right now.

Is that a yes you like the idea
or no you don't
or you're not bothered?
Old 06-23-2003, 02:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jenny
[B]Christopher, this is serious and only serious imput is required right now.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:53 PM

I think Ian and I both recognise that there is something of a grey area in the middle - and things like the Road Pilot thread and motoring threads more generally are going to be harder to readily categorise into on topic or off topic.

Ian explained in his reply on the Road Pilot thread that it's all something of a trial, which is precisely why we're looking for feedback. We're trying to strike a balance between avoiding the main board becoming a bit cluttered with OT or marginally on topic stuff and finding that too much stuff is being moved to OT, whilst not treading on anyones toes.

AE and I are really only members with a few administrative powers - we don't have any clout and certainly don't have the right to impose our views on you lot if they're not accepted by a majority.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

It's difficult being us

It is difficult defining what on and whats off. But with trial and error we will get there, and after all the forum is everyones - so it is important everyone voices their opinions

No hard and fast rules. The objective is to make the forum easy and enjoyable to use for everyone
Old 06-23-2003, 03:01 PM

If the intention is to reduce the thread rollover on the main page, are you not simply going to move the problem elsewhere ? What %s of the first 200 threads are FS / Meets / General Motoring / Cleaning / G/B etc

As I indicated before, whatever you guys come up with is fine by me - I think that some new sub-forums may be useful tho' - provided that they don't too obviously duplicate the stuff on the main board.

CTR
Old 06-23-2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Chris Type R
Swings & round-abouts though - too many forums, and too difficult to follow / search. I'll defer to the Lurker, and the Pidgeon on this one.
I guess i will too but that doesn't mean i agree with you

Quick Reply: ATTN: Muppets