Muppets The corner of the UK & Ireland where muppetry happens. Totally off topic, word association, useless stuff and general messing about.

DIYers - need some help/inspiration

Old 01-09-2010, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIYers - need some help/inspiration

I have an area between the kitchen and backdoor which previously had shelves and books on it but looked a mess. I've taken all this down and want to leave it clean looking but create a small storage space (storage in my house is at a minimum ).

This is what it looks like at the moment:

It looks quite clean from the pic but the backwall is in a right state and would need replastering which is why I want to do something with it but also provide the storage.

I have a mini plan below:

The left hand side is narrow at 12cm depth but I think would be enough to put in the ironing board, broom and some small shelves at the top for cleaning products.

The shelves above the bin I would leave open for cookering books etc.

The problem I've got is the door I think . If I use fabric I obviously won't lose much of the depth but I'm worried it will look naff. I've searched the web for some ideas but because I don't know what to look for it's not helping

Anyone got any creative ideas????

This needs to be low cost but look good - I'm not planning on being here much longer so it's not an investment for me but hopefully will just make the house look a bit more sellable

Forgot to add - the door would be the same height as the back door so above that it would be open up to the ceiling.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 AM

Roller blind.

Get it made to measure.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 AM

Good call, Gas. I did that in my old Victorian terrace. Not a lot of room in the 2nd bedroom, had some shelves built into an old alcove and covered it with roller blind. Doesn't take up much space, easy to install and you get your choice of colour & material.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 AM

Ooo - good call Pode - hadn't thought of that one
Old 01-09-2010, 05:30 AM

I liked the bookshelf. Sorry, that doesn't help.