NES2KO Marketplace For Sale section for New England - Members Only

A serious thought for a moment.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts
Default A serious thought for a moment.

As a small child I became enthralled with the promise of America.
We had a leader who we could believe in, in the form of President Kennedy.
On a warm November afternoon that dream was struck down in front of this six year old.
I had watched the parade in Dallas on TV moments before but school had ended and I was walking home when another student came running down the path from the school.
I couldn't and wouldn't believe it. And then I got home and found my mother crying.

Four and half years later I found and lost that dream once again through Bobby Kennedy.

I have searched for that dream since.

Yesterday 45 years later, I found that hope and leadership is once again returning to the White House.
Many have exclaimed that the lack of specifics render that hope an empty bag of promises. I beg to differ, hope is the reason that tomorrow will be better than today.

Michelle Obama took a tremendous amount of grief for saying that for the first time she was proud of her country. I finally found that deep emotional commitment that has been gone for 45 years.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From some of the talk I heard today a lot did the same comparison and are hoping the end isnt the same.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a shame and it sickens me that the only thing that could make someone proud of his/her country is a certain person being elected.

I have seen some of the best men and women give their entire lives to this country because they are proud of it and proud to be able to serve. I have been there when men and women from this country have gone out of their way to help people around the world. I have friends who leave their families and everything they have because they are proud and believe in this country. Hard working folks that came here from other countries for a better life, worked hard and relish the fact that they are citizens now. This country is the people, not who is elected to power. I have ALWAYS been proud of this country and ALWAYS will, no matter who is president.

And, I have been around the world to see how GREAT we have it here compared to everyone else no matter who is president.

If Mrs. Obama didn't love her country before her husband got elected, she never will. But she will pretend.

If you don't like the country, GTFO

Forgive me for being blunt. But this is one of the worst posts I have ever read. Sad that you would not love your country because your "guys" aren't in power. Really sad.

My guy certainly wasn't Clinton when I served in the Navy. but, he was my commander in chief. I was proud to serve and would have went anywhere and done anything he deemed necessary. I feel bad for people like you who sit behind a computer their whole lives bitching about the way things are and never go out to do anything about it. But to say you arent proud or committed to your country unless your political party is in power is a crying shame.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Jeff,

Until either of us has the opportunity to grow up as a black person in America we won't understand how she feels. She obviously feels differently about the US. You as a former member of the military also have a unique view point but I'm sure You and Michelle, Jerry, me...all have something in common...... we all LOVE our country. I think it can sometimes be easy to to confuse Proud and Love when we talk about the USA.

Pride and Love are not interchangeable.

I'm not proud of America in the way we take care our our troops coming home.

I'm not proud of the CIA/intellegence gathered and used as a basis for operations in Iraq,

I'm not proud of this country's policies on cellular and genetic research.

Foreign policy....not proud of late

but I still love my country.....

I am proud that there are people in politics and the military that dedicate their lives and life to public service.

I am proud that there was so much interest in this election.

I'm proud that race didn't play a factor.....

I love my country
Old 11-06-2008, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said cubs!!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 AM

That's one of the other problems in this country. EVERYONE is "oppressed" and due some type of special consideration and help. I'm not buying it. She comes off as selfish and hateful to me.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right.. she's a Harvard Law School Grad. a very very smart woman.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=Bass,Nov 6 2008, 08:53 AM] right.. she's a Harvard Law School Grad.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 6 2008, 09:01 AM
I hope people will continue to challenge Obama as they so eagerly challenged Bush, Clinton, and other presidents before them.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 AM

I don;t think it will happen. I think guys like Steve would say he is doing the right thing even if he announced something crazy like all books will be burned starting right after his inauguration. He's for the people after all!

Quick Reply: A serious thought for a moment.