Nevada S2000 Owners Las Vegas, Nevada and area

Getting stationed in Vegas!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting stationed in Vegas!

well I just got my assignment to Nellis AFB today, should be there sometime in July! 27 here in April,I'm originally from New Orleans and I've be stationed in Okinawa Japan for almost 4 years now! This is very different from Tokyo/mainland, very country like, so it's not what you envision when you think Japan lol, so I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the states since my wife and I just had a baby a month ago, we wanted to be somewhat closer to family! If you notice I've been a member on here since 04 and have yet to own an s2k. LOL! I've went through crxs,del sols,is250,then out here I had an r33,s15,and an evo V.

Long story short when I could afford an s2k life/priorities steered me to different cars hence the is250, and then when I joined the military/got stationed over here I just couldn't find one. I've seen about 3 all together on island since I've been here. Everything here is boosted, chasers,skylines,evos/wrxs/fds/s15s...not complaining but it killed me not being able to ever get my hands on one. Of course all of my buddies back home have them so I've been around/driven them, just haven't owned one. Hopefully my luck will turn soon here, I was lucky enough to get a warm place where I can actually go top down, I was worried when I had places Montana/North Dakota open for me lol.

With all that being said what should I know about vegas? What areas are good to look for houses/apartments that are good for families,preferably with a garage? Seems like it's a pretty big/solid community? Anyone got any beaters they'll be looking to get rid of in a few months here too? I plan on getting a beater for family duties/just to have a car initially so I can get around and then searching out an S after!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody here in vegas is in the s2ki las vegas Facebook page. If u Facebook look us up. Youll get faster responses.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 AM

Appreciate it, will do!

I was for sure this section would be live/active haha
Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM

Me too when I joined but soon realized that the Vegas guys didnt like when they re-did the whole site. Heres the link to the facebook page :
http://www.facebook.com/groups/151688008209051/
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 AM

This will always be the s2k stronghold though. The FB page is great, but there is 50000 times the info on here that there is on there.
I would suggest the south portion of the valley for a clean place to live with a kid. Need any help pickin out an S, just Pm. i dont mind advising.
Welcome to the vegas group.

Dave
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome. I keep hearing going west/northwest is best too, summerlinne or something like that? The wife will be working at Creech while I'm at nellis so I guess that'd be a good half way point for us both from what I saw on google maps.

Is there a local car forum by any chance? like in general/not s2k specific? I couldn't find anything but the region seems too big for it not to have one?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:46 PM

http://www.lvracingscene.com/forum/

I work on Nellis but don't have an s2k yet.. hopefully soon though.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 PM

nice! been out here for a while or what?

random question but anyone here have kids in a daycare? I'm trying to gauge just an average of how much off base daycare costs compared to on base
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Yeah I have been on Nellis for almost 12 years. I did 6 years active and the rest as a civi. Now as far as daycare it is not cheap here, I was looking for my 2 kids and most places wanted about 250-300 per week. On base it is cheaper.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM

What do you do? I have been stationed here for about 2 1/2 years but Kadena was my last base. I have a kid on the way and with two incomes in the same household off-base is ridiculous, but there is a waiting list for on base child care. Go to mcyfirst.com and create a account and get yourself on the waiting list now. I would live in Northwest Vegas(alot of Creech guys live there), look up Centennial Hills for really nice houses or Providence. You can buy houses out here for a great price, also cheaper to rent a house then a apartment. Im on the FB page but sometimes to much drama on there.

Quick Reply: Getting stationed in Vegas!