New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

You know what grinds my gears?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You know what grinds my gears?

Ok, Post your rants here - similar to random chat except have fun vent, regardless of how trivial.

I'll start...

People who say "Irregardless" - come on, not a word and a double negative.

People who say "All of a sudden" - there's no form of grammar that makes this phrase work. Besides, doesn't it just make more sense to say "Suddenly"??
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answer: A slippery clutch pedal!!

But seriously, my annoyances of late:

- People who put the dollar sign after the number. Sure, you may say "Twelve dollars" but you do NOT write "12$" in a sentence. It's like some new disease spreading on Craigslist and other classified forums.

- People who still can't be bothered to use the proper form of "your" and "you're." AOL instant messenger has been around for almost 15 years, it's about time people learned to communicate through electronic typing without looking like a middle school dipsh!t. I'm far from a language perfectionist, but there's a difference between making mistakes and being so lazy that you can't bother to learn basic English.

- Words like "orientate." You don't orientate anything to a given orientation, you orient it. But it's been used so much that it's become accepted. The next stupid word modification to be accepted through mass ignorance will be "conversate" rather than "converse" in a conversation. I've heard people say it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by CTMechE
it's about time people learned to communicate through electronic typing without looking like a middle school dipsh!t.
Totally LOL'd on that one!

BTW, thanks for the graphic - it's what i was going for
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for bringing up "orientate." I've heard "provocate" rather than "provoke."

"Proactive": you never make a list of "Proaction Items" or say "I'll proact on that." It's a mealy-mouthed business-speak made up word.

"I could care less." Well, duh, of course you could care less. No matter how unimportant something is, you could always care less.

Then there are those who can't handle "their, they're, there."

And a personal pet peeve: you should not be allowed to run for President of the United States if you cannot pronounce the word "nuclear." I shouldn't have to want to throw something through my TV screen every time the President speaks.

George Carlin once said, "Think about how dumb the average American is. Then reflect on the fact that 1/2 of them are dumber than that."

I'll surrender the soap box to someone else at this point.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM

What grinds my gears?

Calling my bank when I lost my debit card today.

Here is the sequence heard on the phone.

Phone: Hello, thank you for calling _________ Bank.
Phone: Press 1 for English.
Phone: Para español pulse el número dos.

Me: Presses 1.

Phone: How may I help you...?
Phone: You can say things like, Open account, Check balance, Report a lost or stolen debit card, or speak to agent.

Me: Report a lost debit card.

Phone: I'm sorry. I didn't get that.
Phone: You can say things like, Open account, Check balance, Report a lost or stolen debit card, or speak to agent.

Me: (Clears throat) Report a lost debit card.

Phone: I didn't quite get that.
Phone: You can say things like, Open account, Check balance, Report a missing or stolen debit card, or speak to agent.

Me: Speak to agent.

Phone: Did you say Speak to Agent?

Me: Yes

Phone: Ok, to get you to the right representative, please let me know why you are calling?
Phone: You can say things like, Open account, Check balance, Report a missing or stolen debit card, or speak to agent.

Me: LOST DEBIT CARD!!!!

Phone: For security purposes, please verify the last 4 digits of your social security number.

Me: Types in number.

Phone: Your call may be monitored for quality purposes. Please hold for the next available agent.

10 Minutes later...

Agent: Hello, thank you for calling ______ Bank debit card resolution center.
Agent: For security purposes, could I have the last 4 digits to your social security number?

Me: Says number.

Agent: Could you please verify your current address?

Me: Says address.

Agent: And how may I help you today Alexander?

Me: Lost my debit card.

Agent: I'm sorry to hear that. Let's go over the last 3 transactions to your account to see if you recognize them.

After the discussion...

Agent: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: Nope that's it. Thank you.

In this day and age of technology, why do our automated message systems suck so much? The entire process took 30 minutes and half of it was dealing with the message system. Ugh.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

since we're ranting....

two and a half years ago I bought my #2 son a high end dell laptop for high school graduation, specifically Studio XPS 1640.
bought extended warranty so machine is still under warranty"

worked fine for a year and he upgraded from vista to win 7 pro which worked fine for another 1.25 years.
in Sept get an update pushed down from the mountains in Redmond. WiFi stops working.
call dell just before thanksgiving. after futzing around with them for 2.5 hours "it's not a hardware problem, you need to buy a software maintainance contract for $250 a year.... "
actually they opened the conversation with the software contract pitch.
hmm what part of that does dell actually develop. intel does the wifi drivers and microsoft does the OS.
wtf do they think they are actually selling???

side note, the laptop does not recognize it's power supply. we'll have to replace your mother board....
they never called back for onsite support.

so happy end of story, over xmas break I bought a new updated WiFi card for 40 bucks and installed it in 20 minutes and had it working.
works like a champ. screw dell, i'll never do business with them again.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:47 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Red Sun, next time try repeated hits of "0" or the "#", that often bypasses the automatic system.

Any automated answering system grinds my gears. HATE them!

Condescending people annoy me, people who think I just fell off a turnip truck also grind my gears.

Example: We have some material that needs to be brought to Boston today. Yesterday a welder asks if he should work though lunch so he can get the material done on time. Mind you, the material does not need to leave our shop first thing in the AM.

Does he really think I'll believe his working through his half hour lunch is critical? Nope, I don't buy it. Through the grapevine I heard the real reason is that he wants to take an extended lunch a couple days this week, and didn't want to lose the time.

Ryan we had a friend who had a real pet peeve with the use of the non word irregardless.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

People who use the word "literally" instead of "figuratively"....... For instance in the latest presidential candidate Jon Huntsman TV ad: "....the country is literally falling apart".

But then again maybe I'm just getting old, grouchy and intolerant.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Call for Tech Support and with the thickest Indian accent......Hello how may I help you my name is DAVE.

Bull Cr@p your name is DAVE!

When did Indians stop being those people that were here before Christopher Columbus?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Call for Tech Support and with the thickest Indian accent......Hello how may I help you my name is DAVE.

Bull Cr@p your name is DAVE!

When did Indians stop being those people that were here before Christopher Columbus?
What grinds my gears? Ignorance.

You do know the difference between a Native American and someone from India, right? Ya know, India. The country.

Aside from that, "Could care less" really bothers me, thanks for covering that RedY

Oh yeah, and people jacking on their brakes (aka "breaks," another grinds my gears deal) from ~75mph to 50mph or less because a cop has someone pulled over. Not only is he out of his vehicle talking to the person he pulled over, but he is already busy. He's not going to say "Sorry, got to run, that car just went past us at 66mph."

Quick Reply: You know what grinds my gears?