New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

cars of the driving impaired

Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts
Default cars of the driving impaired

Ok so as mark suggexsted here is the other thread.

over the years I have observed there is always certain vehicles that exemplify a marked lack of driving skill by those residing in the drivers seat, the driving impaired but without requiring the benefit of alcohol or drugs in achieving their ineptitude.
A unique characteristic of almost all of these drivers, they feel the obligation to reside in the left lane for some reason.

Early examples of this were the Volvo 240 and 244 wagons.
Driven by early soccer moms who were afraid of any and all risks in life.

The saturn coupe: perhaps it is that these drivers are terrified of anything which remotely resembles conflict they flocked to the fixed price of the saturn thereby avoiding the risk of negotiating and telling the sales guy to "F'off I'm not paying that."
This anti-confrontational behavior spills over into their driving skills as they never want to put any pressure on the driver in front of them.

recently the Prius has displaced the Volvo for those who wants to save the world, one mile at a time.

And my wife's personal favorite is the panel van. They get out in the left lane but are terrified to move back since they can't see crap out their passenger side. So rather than make a mistake they sit there as cars finally blow by on the right. of course this action makes them even more afraid because" all of these crazy people keep cutting them off"
They are the rock in the proverbial river a life.

Finally the worst of all, the RV. while usually not a bane of the highway they reserve their best for wonderful twisties on back roads. I can only conclude they lurk in wait. With the help of spotters, they pull out their hiding place known as a campground directly in front of a pack of sports cars on the entrance of a single lane 20 mile stretch of heaven. This frequently occurs on rt 100 in VT and I'd bet you find them hiding ready to pounce into traffic all over the dragon.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you find RV'ers in VT you're driving the wrong roads!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

And those HUGE RV's are never driven by young people with good reflexes.

They always seem to be 900 years old and driving a vehicle that's bigger
than anything they have ever driven in their lives!

One other, it seems that people in the TOYOTA PREVIA have NO clue!
You know, that egg-shaped SUV that the aforementioned soccer moms
seemed to have to have when it first came out?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Do Previas come factory equipped with the passenger side rear bumper pushed in or is that aftermarket?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to corrupt the thread (although it is New England) I personally like to guess the gender of the driver by observing their moves. I call 'em out, and then when I pass 'em I look to see. Even my wife will admit, I'm right far more often than not.

Usually women make the more clueless moves, and unconfident parking or reversing skills. Inching out of a parking space and doing an 11-point turn when there's still 6 feet of clearance behind them. Typically, men make the more aggressive a*hole moves, or the "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of moves.

Of course, it's easier when you guess the gender based on bad moves... you certainly can't guess behavior based on gender (which is why insurance annoys me.)
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff, Jerry
Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buicks. All Buicks.

Buicks with religious bumper stickers. (They're convinced they are going to be raptured any minute and don't care. If that doesn't happen, they want to get to heaven ASAP and are willing to send you to your reward to get theirs sooner)

Buicks with religious sticlkers whose drivers are holding on to the mirror. (Makes controlling the vehicle that much more of a challenge to speed up the visit with St. Peter.)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drivers of the vintage.

Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and towncars, crown vics. man when i see these cars pass at all oportunities! Minus the crown vic when its the fuzz
Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Add Toyota Avalon to the list.

Route 6 west today at lunch. Guy poking along in left lane....really, really slow, totally annoyed the guy who was in back of him....I was in the other lane and passed on the right. The guy ended up behind me, and once we had cleared the Avalon passed him, (on the right) changed lanes again, and passed and a few other cars too. Some nice lane weaving going on. . The annoyed guy drove like an idiot though. At the stop light he was beeping his horn at another guy who was not making a right turn on red. Could be because there is a sign that says NO RIGHT TURN ON RED.

The idiot guy was driving a Pontiac Grand Am. Add that one to the list too.

Quick Reply: cars of the driving impaired