New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Classic Mini w/ Honda Engine

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Mini w/ Honda Engine

So yesterday my dad and I had some bonding time going to a car show and of course we talked a lot about cars. He's thinking of picking up another toy. He'd be interested in getting a classic mini with a honda engine. My searches have come up empty, meaning only kits for sale not completed cars. Does anyone know of any US companies that specialize in this? He's not looking for a DIY, just purchasing a completed classic mini with a Honda engine. It's just an idea he's bouncing around, depending on cost of course.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a honda powered mini in MA that showed up at the Jordan's meet-ups a few years back. You can find details at http://www.car47.com. I don't think anyone makes a kit to stuff a honda engine in a mini. Maybe the guy there can help you out if you drop him a line. I'm pretty sure everything was custom so it would probably be expensive.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by JSWhaler
So yesterday my dad and I had some bonding time going to a car show and of course we talked a lot about cars. He's thinking of picking up another toy. He'd be interested in getting a classic mini with a honda engine. My searches have come up empty, meaning only kits for sale not completed cars. Does anyone know of any US companies that specialize in this? He's not looking for a DIY, just purchasing a completed classic mini with a Honda engine. It's just an idea he's bouncing around, depending on cost of course.

Tell your dad fabrication has no rules. He can make it and not rely on kit.
I did put a Hayabusa (bike engine) to my car, that's even rare to do.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Kits are available, which I have found two companies in the US, but not a company that sells the car as well. One of the companies also has an awd conversion package. It's just an idea he thought would be fun to drive.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 AM

I don't think you're going to find a company that does the swap (although you may). I know there is a customer at my buddy's shop that has an ITR swapped original mini. Dude has a lot of toys, maybe I can get the guys contact info for you.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by kenta
There was a honda powered mini in MA that showed up at the Jordan's meet-ups a few years back. You can find details at http://www.car47.com. I don't think anyone makes a kit to stuff a honda engine in a mini. Maybe the guy there can help you out if you drop him a line. I'm pretty sure everything was custom so it would probably be expensive.
That car was for sale a few months back on 6speedonline. I believe it was built by dentsport in Norwood, which may be a good place to call if your dads looking for something to be built. I've heard good and bad things about the shop and don't want to turn it into that kind of thread. 6 speed link
Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen that Mini through most of the build stages at DSG. The guys down there are very good mechanics and I will vouch for them. Unfortunately I've heard some bad things about them as well, but then I go down to the shop and hear the other side. Always funny to see how twisted the stories get, and how they get blamed for things out of their control. Its a tough business to be in, but they are very fair and honest.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=6068.new#new
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 AM

There's actually one for sale on North American Motoring: 63 Mini w/B18
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Ya, I saw that one, but it's right hand drive and my dad won't consider one unless it's left hand drive (much safer for driving around New England).

Quick Reply: Classic Mini w/ Honda Engine