New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

decision time is coming

Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default decision time is coming

Hi folks,

Just wanted to say "hi." It's sure been a while, but I have many fond memories of spending time with NE owners and the rest of the s2ki community.

185K mi, year-round, daily driving, two cross country trips, NE winters are finally catching up with Nebuchadnezzar, my Suzuka Blue MY02 S2000. Right now, the car's in the shop for the first really major repair ever... a new rear wheel hub assembly. We thought it was only the wheel bearing, but the damage is pretty significant and the whole hub is a rusty, broken mess. The last few years, I've shrugged off a few minor things, but I also know my rear struts are leaking, and most importantly Neb is showing rust in a number of body panels. Some of you that know me know that I've been pretty hard-core about convertible driving with my S. I wouldn't trade those great (sometimes very cold) moments for anything. Life is short; live it!

So, with respect to Neb, I know what's coming. I'm not equipped to do restoration myself, and all the moving parts are going to eventually need work. The body is a problem I don't even know how to solve except months off the road in someone's body shop. But, of all things, what's particularly upsetting to me is that Honda doesn't have a next gen car for me to move to!!! I really feel they lost their way with us. I was so proud with the S... I mean the '90s NSX followed by the ought-years S2000... Honda rocked! But, they've left us stranded for nearly a decade now. And, with no S replacement on the horizon, there's no sports car in the lineup! Oh, and you can forget about a new NSX; that's not the car for me.

I just want to say this... The S2000 has been my driving soul mate for 15 years. I never had a car that was most perfectly "me" than Neb. The ownership experience this whole time has wildly exceeded all my expectations ever since I took my first ride in my friend's S and got hooked all those years ago! And, while I haven't been around here much these past few years, the s2ki community has been simply fabulous. I've owned and driven sports cars my entire adult life, and my 15 years with the S... well, I couldn't be happier. I mean 15 years in the perfect car for me that has been reliable beyond all conceivable expectations!

I'm seriously considering a new Miata. Mazda's taken a few lessons from the S, styling-wise, and they've stayed true to the original sports-car formula for an impressively long time. My family also has a 2010 Miata that I might buy, although I know that'd be a short-lived step because I like the new Miata a whole lot better. For the record, I owned a '90 Miata for 10 years before I bought the S. Great cars, but the S was in a different league. I think the Miata's caught up for the most part, but it was in Honda's wake with the S2000.

Well, those are my thoughts, folks. I thought I'd drive Neb until the wheels fell off, but as a matter of fact that's essentially what's happening. Because the S is so great, I am still passionate about driving and will likely have to replace it soon.

My best wishes. -- Charlie
The following users liked this post:
tacocat (08-10-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Hondas suppossibly releasing a 2 seater front engine RWD sportscar in 2018 rumors have it and a prototype of a 2 seater blueprint was added to the euro honda database few weeks ago. I too am looking for honda to release a new sports car more affordable for the average person as wish i could of brought my s2000 brand new back in the day.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:12 AM

I hope that's true, Dwayne. I have to admit that I don't really believe it. Honda broke their own "don't advertise until it's ready" rules when they started baiting everyone with the new NSX years (literally) before it shipped. That was just ridiculous. It's been seven long years since they discontinued the S, so I'm just not sure there's any reason to believe they'll replace it.

Anyway, there's a possibility that I'll try to hold on to Neb for a while before making a decision. The new Miata is calling though. That red color is pretty luscious.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

WIll have to wait and see with next year being hondas 70th anniversary
Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Either wait for the new S, or by a really good used current S.

For reasons that escape me, most people don't share our view of drive it while you can. Instead of realizing one the S' greatest attributes is, that for all its superior sportscar abilities, its still as relaible and long lasting as any other Honda, they treat it as if its some delicate exotic that must be parked away and driven only on perfect weekend days. Like there are only so many good miles the car can go, so preserve them and cherish them.

So their foolishness is your bounty. There are a disproportionate number of low mile well preserved S' out there. The only trick is finding one for sale. Seek, and ye shall find.

Drive yours till you find the right low miles perfect one for sale to replace it with. Then move the old one on to someone who can make use of it.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^^Good advice. And it was good to see you post Charlie!
Levi

Last edited by NNY S2k; 08-03-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:56 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I would say the new Miata is the only car other than the S that would interest me. My friend owns one. Its more civilized than the S. I prefer the styling of the S. I love the NA high rev engine which the Miata lacks. So, if its me, I'd be searching for a low miles ap1 S.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:01 AM

Great thoughts, guys. Much appreciated.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Chazmo buy another S. You're clearly in love with the car. Unfortunately rust is cancer, you can spend a shit ton of money cutting it out and fixing it only for it to come back.

Your car has served you well.
While I do like the new Miata, doesn't stand a chance next to the S in my books.

Don't give up hope on Honda just yet. They did after all just release a type R here
Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 AM

It's true, krypt. My Neb has served me well and well as far as the Miata is concerned, that was certainly true putting my '90 Miata up against my '02 S2000... no comparison. But, compared to an ND (latest model) Miata? I'll have to go see.

Quick Reply: decision time is coming