S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   New England S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/)
-   -   First Annual S2000 Takeover @ NYST 5/18/2018 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/first-annual-s2000-takeover-%40-nyst-5-18-2018-a-1181574/)

Tdoolin18 02-02-2018 05:24 AM

First Annual S2000 Takeover @ NYST 5/18/2018

I didn't see this posed up here and just wanted to spread the word a bit. I'm sure a lot of you guys have probably seen this but, anyway.

NO ROLL BAR REQUIRED!!! This is a great opportunity to meet other drivers and get a taste of track driving in a great environment. You will get 6-7 20 minute sessions for a total of 2+ hours of track time. If you're on the fence I urge you to get out there and try it! You wont find a better environment to have your first track experience or if you're already experienced, it's a great opportunity to impart some wisdom and have a great day of driving with like minded people.

Sign-up Soon!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york...-nyst-1179917/

blueosprey90 02-02-2018 10:35 AM

I'm signed up. The main thread is on the Metro forum and it looks like more that 20 have already signed up. There is also a thread on the Upstate forum with pictures and maybe video, all of which seems to have gotten lost on Metro. I'm not sure that this is the best track layout in the world, but what the hey! It's a track.

Oneloveknk 02-02-2018 10:57 AM

Ok well now that I know some of the OS (Original S2000 owners) are going, Id love to meet most of you guys and gals! And if my wife has that day off as well, some know how hospital schedules are. If she does sign up for the event is she able to bring a plus one? Also what’s the spectator fee as I don’t think you guys want a blind guy ( only in one eye but never the less still blind) on the track with you lol?

blueosprey90 02-02-2018 01:18 PM

I don't think the New York Safety Track is all that spectator friendly, but a +1 can surely come. Just bring one of those cheap folding chairs.

If that date is not an option, SCDA and NASA-NE are both S2000 friendly. Both more expensive, but SCDA has any number of events at Lime Rock and Palmer. https://www.scdareg.com/calendar/ Of the "local" tracks, Lime Rock is the most friendly to spectators.

Palmer is on the east side of Springfield. I anticipate they will have some Track Night in America events. Check their website.

If you or your wife are nervous about going to the track for the first time, pick a date and post up. I'm always looking for an excuse not to come to work and perhaps I can join you.

Oneloveknk 02-02-2018 04:06 PM

I really appreciate all the information you have provided us Blueosprey90, I will keep you in mind when she does go out on her first track day we would love to pick your brain on do’s and don’t at the track before she actually drives with other people at the same time. As she’s only been a passenger at Lime Rock Track, and the only solo events she has done has been autocrossing.

blueosprey90 02-02-2018 06:40 PM

Oh, I drive so well that my brain is really worth picking. :)

Totally avoidable!

Tdoolin18 02-05-2018 07:11 AM

I dont believe there are Fees associated with spectators at NYST IIRC. Only viewing area's are on the front straight, but in the past they have been pretty lenient with ride-alongs. Message Bradthemachine he can give you the best information.

Hope to see you there!

BradtheMachine 02-08-2018 09:08 AM

Glad to see some buzz on here! Thanks for posting guys. As far as spectators it is not that friendly but ride alongs are fine as long as they have a helmet at tech.

Any questions please PM or text me and I will gladly help out!

Thank you,
Brad

BradtheMachine 02-09-2018 07:07 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...ec054975f4.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...7b73cd67f.jpeg
I am please to announce some of our sponsors for the event! If you need anything prior to the track day from SAKEBOMB GARAGE LLC
or High Performance Auto Racing Parts - Specializing in Porsche Racing Parts - StableEnergies.com let them know that you are attending this event and that BradtheMachine sent you!

Oneloveknk 02-09-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 (Post 24415477)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Hq6wGlb14

Totally avoidable!

Oh, you can’t just tease us with a clip? Full run please!!

blueosprey90 02-11-2018 10:11 AM

I don't think I have any other video posted from that event. But here's one of me chasing Aashish as we test the new pavement at Club Motorsports in the fall of 2016. Jump to about 1:00

rpg51 02-12-2018 02:58 AM

Man, seeing that track so close to my home makes me want to learn to drive on track. Looks like a blast.

blueosprey90 02-12-2018 03:59 AM

SCDA is having an event there this summer, possibly two days. Very S2000 friendly and if you are a noob, they will put an instructor in the car with you. I don't think I can make the event, but I'm sure it is on everyone's radar. So sign up early. Also consider joining us at Watkins Glen in July. Aashish has arranged a slight discount. If you come across the Champlain Bridge, the drive through the Adirondacks is almost better than the track experience. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas on the ride home.

https://www.scda1.com/

NNY S2k 02-12-2018 06:13 AM

Jeff, do you mean the Rouses Point or the Crown Point bridge ?:)
Levi

blueosprey90 02-12-2018 12:41 PM

I meant Crown Point - but he's a hardy Vermonter. He could also take a ferry. :)

BradtheMachine 02-18-2018 03:47 AM

27 s2000’s signed up so far!

blueosprey90 02-19-2018 05:04 AM

I don't fully understand the reluctance that most S2000 drivers have to taking their cars out on track. We own a nice, competent performance vehicle. Why not take it out and experience it's performance? Gunning it up the entrance ramp on the Interstate for a short VTEC pop and then running at say 70 mph in traffic isn't exactly all that memorable. Even blasting around on back mountain roads at 55 mph, although fun, still doesn't bring the car up to its potential. It's like owning a potential Triple Crown race horse winner and either never taking him out of the paddock.

When I bought my car, I was quite happy to learn that I could take it out on track. A track day isn't racing, but it sure is stimulating. We are all going as fast as we want (can) and all in one direction without fear of any pesky cops and traffic tickets. Passing is by point by. I'd guess that about half of the miles on my S2000 are associated with track days.

I've never run this track or with this Metro group, but I am looking forward to a paddock full of S2000s.

You only live once. Try it. You'll like it.

And if you need someone to walk you through a track day, let me know. It' not that complicated.

rpg51 02-20-2018 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 (Post 24422017)
I don't fully understand the reluctance that most S2000 drivers have to taking their cars out on track. ...

You only live once. Try it. You'll like it.

And if you need someone to walk you through a track day, let me know. It' not that complicated.

Very nice offer. I suspect the source of any reluctance is fear of the unknown. For me, I think it may boil down to fear about damaging my S.

Here is a question that maybe you can help answer and set my mind at ease. If you are a rank beginner, never been on track, and you want to take it real slow and build up to high er speeds very gradually, will you be getting in the way and making yourself a PIA for others? Also, could bring a buddy with a stock 2016 Miata - also a beginner.

The comment "you only live once" is persuasive.

blueosprey90 02-20-2018 04:19 AM

Here is a question that maybe you can help answer and set my mind at ease. If you are a rank beginner, never been on track, and you want to take it real slow and build up to higher speeds very gradually, will you be getting in the way and making yourself a PIA for others? Also, could bring a buddy with a stock 2016 Miata - also a beginner.
I suppose Bradthemachine should really answer, but since I offered, I'll weigh in. (I'm not sure about your Miata friend since Brad is trying to make this an all S2000 event.)

Everybody who is signed up for that track day is or was a rank beginner at one point. I suppose how you define "real slow" might be a factor, but if you are capable of, and enjoy, driving your car in a spirited manner on the highway you will most likely enjoy driving it in a spirited manner on the track.

I suspect that the run groups will be divided up so that those with little to no prior experience (and hence slower speeds) will be grouped together, while those with much more experience (and hence faster speeds) will also be grouped together. I think he said he was limited to 45 cars and with 3 run groups that translates to about 15 cars on the track at any one time. Usually the run groups are novice, intermediate and advanced.

I'm also pretty certain that passing will be limited to the straights and will be by point by. That means that you have to watch your mirrors and when you reach the straight(s) designated for passing, you put your arm out of the car and point the car behind by, indicating by your point where you want it to go. He may or may not take the point, his choice.

Obviously, we will all be slower in the morning than in the afternoon as we learn the track or otherwise shake off the cobwebs. For me, it will most likely be my first time out in the S and I will be flummoxed as I try to deal with six gears and finding third instead of fifth when I want third. Plus, I've never been to this track, so my learning curve will be slower.

I don't know exactly what rules Brad will have, but you should be able to snag a ride along with a more experienced driver to see the layout of the track. You might also be able to get someone to ride with you and to help you with your technique through the curved sections. Normally the corners will be marked with cones to show turn in, apex and track out points, the trick being to make the corner have as wide an arc as possible. With decent tires and a decent alignment, our cars have plenty of corner grip for a novice driver.

I suppose you are (and should be) concerned about car control. I suggest that you watch this video - It discusses every thing you need to know and is worth the cost of a three day driving school - or about $4,600 when I took it. My only admonition is "don't lift in the corners!"

A 2 02-20-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 (Post 24415477)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Hq6wGlb14

Totally avoidable!

El Jefe, this is the full run spectator view :D

Also, you guys viewing this thread should totally go to NYST with Brad. Once you get a taste of the track, come to Watkins Glen. This is the holy grail of road courses in the United States and it is right here in our backyard (especially if you live Springfield or east of it). Thread on Upstate NY is here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york...-scda-1182107/

Oneloveknk - at most HPDE events, spectators are welcome. You need to have a proper helmet if you want to go out on track. Other than that I've never heard of a DE organizer charging for spectators. You and your plus one should sign up for Watkins Glen. It will be a great experience for both. Also the area is known for its vineyards and sight seeing. So make it a weekend, then do the track day on Monday and Tuesday and head home.

BradtheMachine 02-20-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 (Post 24422409)
I suppose Bradthemachine should really answer, but since I offered, I'll weigh in. (I'm not sure about your Miata friend since Brad is trying to make this an all S2000 event.)

Everybody who is signed up for that track day is or was a rank beginner at one point. I suppose how you define "real slow" might be a factor, but if you are capable of, and enjoy, driving your car in a spirited manner on the highway you will most likely enjoy driving it in a spirited manner on the track.

I suspect that the run groups will be divided up so that those with little to no prior experience (and hence slower speeds) will be grouped together, while those with much more experience (and hence faster speeds) will also be grouped together. I think he said he was limited to 45 cars and with 3 run groups that translates to about 15 cars on the track at any one time. Usually the run groups are novice, intermediate and advanced.

I'm also pretty certain that passing will be limited to the straights and will be by point by. That means that you have to watch your mirrors and when you reach the straight(s) designated for passing, you put your arm out of the car and point the car behind by, indicating by your point where you want it to go. He may or may not take the point, his choice.

Obviously, we will all be slower in the morning than in the afternoon as we learn the track or otherwise shake off the cobwebs. For me, it will most likely be my first time out in the S and I will be flummoxed as I try to deal with six gears and finding third instead of fifth when I want third. Plus, I've never been to this track, so my learning curve will be slower.

I don't know exactly what rules Brad will have, but you should be able to snag a ride along with a more experienced driver to see the layout of the track. You might also be able to get someone to ride with you and to help you with your technique through the curved sections. Normally the corners will be marked with cones to show turn in, apex and track out points, the trick being to make the corner have as wide an arc as possible. With decent tires and a decent alignment, our cars have plenty of corner grip for a novice driver.

I suppose you are (and should be) concerned about car control. I suggest that you watch this video - It discusses every thing you need to know and is worth the cost of a three day driving school - or about $4,600 when I took it. My only admonition is "don't lift in the corners!"

http://youtu.be/xQRmYMlmdqM

Hi!

Yes, as of now this is an S2000 only event and hopefully we sell it out as such. If we are getting close to the deadline it is possible that it opens up to other types of vehicles but I will advise of this on the main thread.

Run groups will be just as stated above. One we have our total number I will reach out to anyone I need clarification on experience/driving level.

Ride alongs are most certainly welcome! We will be having some an awesome day as a community of enthusiasts so by all means take advantage of the day!

I will be helping all newcomers in any way I can. Just ask! Hopefully see you there.

blueosprey90 02-21-2018 04:34 AM

Aashish posted that video of me spinning in Turn 1 at Lime Rock. Don't let that get you nervous. I was doing about 55 to 60 mph when the spin started and you'll notice that I didn't get too far off the track. The trick is to put both feet in (clutch & brake) if you lose the car. You will spin more or less in a straight line.

I was driving quite poorly that day, keeping on the gas until deep in the corner, braking and downshifting very late. I should have been braking earlier, shifting and then taking the corner more smoothly, with acceleration as I was tracking out. The spin itself was an example of poor footwork during a heal/toe shift. I was downshifting, had blipped the engine to match the engine speed to the lower gearing, but was so slow making the shift that the engine had slowed down by the time I threw it into gear. It's called downshift oversteer. One of my examples of boneheaded driving.

You'll hear lots of talk about heal & toeing Don't worry about it. You don't have to do it. On my vintage racecar I never heal & toe. It just means that I have to finish my braking before making the shift - just like in everyday life.

Here's an in-car view of the same spin.

Enjoy. Stay safe. And whatever you do, don't lift in the corner!

Oneloveknk 02-21-2018 05:43 PM

:wine:

Originally Posted by A 2 (Post 24422800)
El Jefe, this is the full run spectator view :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJejeLK2IsE

Also, you guys viewing this thread should totally go to NYST with Brad. Once you get a taste of the track, come to Watkins Glen. This is the holy grail of road courses in the United States and it is right here in our backyard (especially if you live Springfield or east of it). Thread on Upstate NY is here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york...-scda-1182107/

Oneloveknk - at most HPDE events, spectators are welcome. You need to have a proper helmet if you want to go out on track. Other than that I've never heard of a DE organizer charging for spectators. You and your plus one should sign up for Watkins Glen. It will be a great experience for both. Also the area is known for its vineyards and sight seeing. So make it a weekend, then do the track day on Monday and Tuesday and head home.

Thank you for the info A 2, I will definitely have her look into the Watkins Glen! Ps as for me did someone say vineyards :wine:

Car Analogy 02-22-2018 11:26 AM

What if you're tall. As in, you can't wear a baseball cap with the top up because that little button on top is thicker than your clearance to the softtop metal brace, and even your unhelmeted head would fail a broomstick test by several inches?

Also no possible way to even attempt to wear helmet under closed roof.

BradtheMachine 02-22-2018 01:12 PM

Only 9 spots left! Sign up soon!

BradtheMachine 02-25-2018 02:59 AM

Only 9 spots left! Sign up soon!

Oneloveknk 03-05-2018 04:00 AM

To the top and beyond! :bump: :cheer:

BradtheMachine 03-05-2018 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Oneloveknk (Post 24428212)
To the top and beyond! :bump: :cheer:

Only 8 spots left now. Sign up soon!

BradtheMachine 03-07-2018 11:04 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...8ce71c99c.jpeg
Pleased to announce NY Meto’s own Billman250 as a sponsor for the event!

Oneloveknk 03-17-2018 08:59 AM

How many spots left?
Dont mind me , the better half likes to cut things close? Don’t ask me why, I’m still trying to figure out if she has the time off?

BradtheMachine 03-17-2018 09:12 AM

As of today there are only 5 spots left!

Oneloveknk 03-17-2018 11:01 AM

She just told me she wanted to be the last one to sign up lol! Told her only 5 spots left so we just emailed you Sir

blueosprey90 03-17-2018 12:47 PM

That was a dumb move. It's like the Publisher's Clearinghouse. Those of us who signed up early have the best chance of winning a free lunch!

Oneloveknk 03-18-2018 02:36 AM

LOL

SakeBomb Garage 03-18-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by BradtheMachine (Post 24418327)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...ec054975f4.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...7b73cd67f.jpeg
I am please to announce some of our sponsors for the event! If you need anything prior to the track day from SAKEBOMB GARAGE LLC
or High Performance Auto Racing Parts - Specializing in Porsche Racing Parts - StableEnergies.com let them know that you are attending this event and that BradtheMachine sent you!

Goodies for the raffle, in preparation! Really excited for this coming together, and thrilled to be a part of it. Keep the signups coming you guys!!

Oneloveknk 03-19-2018 03:17 PM

Quick question, how many New England ‘rs are attending this event?

blueosprey90 03-23-2018 06:23 PM

:hello:

I'm in that no-mans land between New England, Upstate & Metro, but consider myself Upstate. But it's OK if you consider me New England - in which case, I'm going. :)

Well, technically I'm signed up. But if I can get an engine back in my MGA, I might have to go to Summit Point that same weekend.

But, although three or four days of racing at Summit is a major attraction, no free lunch or raffle prizes, so maybe Bradthemachine's event will be too much of a pull ...,.,

But I still have to try to get the S2000 started and out of winter storage ...

And the guy that I rent the garage from says that a red squirrel is living under the car - mean and evil squirrel that refuses to be trapped all winter.

But theoretically, I'm coming - assuming I'm considered New England - and can get the car started - and don't go to Summit. :)

Have I made myself clear? Any questions?

I'm known to be very decisive!

Oneloveknk 03-23-2018 06:58 PM

Wait I was counting on meeting you, and now you tell me? If you don’t go I hope I get your free lunch lol
Ps hope you do make it!

BradtheMachine 04-01-2018 04:12 AM

Follow us on Instagram @s2ktakeover and be sure to tag all of your track prep and S2000 pics with #s2ktakeover.

blueosprey90 05-17-2018 05:09 AM

Car's out of storage
brakes pads swapped out
oil - check
brake fluid - check
cameras charging

Need to buy a small tarp today, pack my tools
Plan to leaving tomorrow at about 5:00 a.m.

Note to self: remember your helmet!

Oneloveknk 05-17-2018 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 (Post 24460032)
Car's out of storage
brakes pads swapped out
oil - check
brake fluid - check
cameras charging

Need to buy a small tarp today, pack my tools
Plan to leaving tomorrow at about 5:00 a.m.

Note to self: remember your helmet!

Good morning Blueosprey90 , well all the prep work for nothing? Looks like we have to use the back up S2. Hope she doesn’t decide to take this one off me too?

blueosprey90 05-17-2018 10:56 AM

*#%^ Holy Batman Triple Cross! *#%^

Oneloveknk 05-19-2018 04:52 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...4043c17d4.jpeg

Thank you so much Brad! It was unreal being able to make this event! Ps love the Sakebomb Garage antenna
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...e5bab01f5.jpeg

Thank you Billman for being one of the sponsors and making time to answer all our questions!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...46d64846d.jpeg

Thank you Ludeboy for sharing your prizes! Ps love your S!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...06e4e69c4.jpeg

Thank you Justin, for all the help you were able to give my better half!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...769ba7282.jpeg

Thank you all for making us feel welcome! Ps and nice meeting you Blueosprey90 it was a pleasure hope to see you in June

BradtheMachine 05-19-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oneloveknk (Post 24461182)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...4043c17d4.jpeg

Thank you so much Brad! It was unreal being able to make this event! Ps love the Sakebomb Garage antenna
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...e5bab01f5.jpeg

Thank you Billman for being one of the sponsors and making time to answer all our questions!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...46d64846d.jpeg

Thank you Ludeboy for sharing your prizes! Ps love your S!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...06e4e69c4.jpeg

Thank you Justin, for all the help you were able to give my better half!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...769ba7282.jpeg

Thank you all for making us feel welcome! Ps and nice meeting you Blueosprey90 it was a pleasure hope to see you in June

great to meet you both! I am glad you had a great day and got to meet some great people! There is an official picture and video thread in the metro section.

Hope to see you back in the fall!