S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   New England S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/)
-   -   The Future of the New England Forum (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/future-new-england-forum-805643/)

PuFF 07-27-2010 03:02 PM

lol

joes sled 2000 07-27-2010 03:16 PM

Well , im hardly a newbee . I just built a house and moved in mid March . I do plan on having a meet/mini tech day at my place as i do have a nice Rotary lift :D . I do not however want to steal anyones thunder ... hint erick :LOL: . I think that people need to step it up around here as things are somewhat boring in these parts lately . We need to do a nice drive and then some lunch /dinner . I need to think of a good day in August to have a shindig at my place .

Bass 07-27-2010 03:22 PM

IN!!

Lainey 07-27-2010 04:19 PM

I used to say "If you plan it they will come." Unfortunately that's not the case anymore. The turnout for Erick's last meet was the same few folks, my cookout on 8/14 doesn't exactly have a long list of attendees. :(

I think times have changed for many. Cars sold, weddings, babies made, all of which contribute to either lack of interest or lack of time. I'm sure some folks tired of the :argue: and :melodramatic: but I don't believe new people were not made to feel welcome. We were new once too, and we were welcomed and jumped right in with both feet, attending AND planning meets.

I know there were/are personality clashes, and I guess that's to be expected, and it is unfortunate. There likely should be more :ignore:

The car is not new and the novelty has worn off for many, even a bit for us. We no longer drive 1 1/2 hours just to get to a meet/drive. We've had other commitments that have interfered with attending some meets.

All that said, we were/are here for the socializing, and we got a LOT out of it. We have made what I hope are life long friends. Some of the younger crowd that may now find an S2000 more affordable, do not seem to be as interested in the social aspect or maybe don't care to hang with :vintage:

I miss the constant activity/socializing we had here in the first few years, just as Jeff misses the wrenching days. We've had a ball!

A group drive sounds like fun. We have a few routes in the mothballs. We'll see if we can dust one of them off for later in the season. September is beautiful around here.

S2000 or not, this group can be a lot of fun. We have learned it does not have to be only about the car. Let's breathe some life back into this place and get some meets planned. I promise you will get a lot out of it.

We hope to see you at our place on 8/14.

PS I don't think the "old timers" control the place. The "old timers" were the ones doing most of the meet planning and I think it was clear than anyone was welcome to plan a meet. In fact, it was often encouraged!

PuFF 07-27-2010 05:07 PM

maybe i should start leaving s2ki NE cards on random s2000's i see like i used to awhile ago. :shrug:

Legal Bill 07-27-2010 05:30 PM

I think we can learn a lot from the poll answers and some of the responses posted above. Look at how many of us "old timers" said that the car isn't new and offers nothing to talk or meet about. But at the same time, we all note that a lot of younger people are buying them for the first time. Well, the car is probably pretty new to those new people. Some of them might like to meet to discuss the basics, etc. As for welcoming new people, it used to be like a party here when a new person showed up. Now a new person might get three or five posts with luke-warm "yeah, hi" kind of greeting

Lainey 07-27-2010 05:35 PM

^
True, but do they want to hang with us old timers? :p I have to admit we never had an issue about he fact that you were younger than us Bill, :LOL: but some young folks might feel a generation gap.

Puff, sure toss some cards out there, can't hurt.

HARDtoTOP 07-27-2010 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jul 27 2010, 09:30 PM
I think we can learn a lot from the poll answers and some of the responses posted above. Look at how many of us "old timers" said that the car isn't new and offers nothing to talk or meet about. But at the same time, we all note that a lot of younger people are buying them for the first time. Well, the car is probably pretty new to those new people. Some of them might like to meet to discuss the basics, etc. As for welcoming new people, it used to be like a party here when a new person showed up. Now a new person might get three or five posts with luke-warm "yeah, hi" kind of greeting

That's a very good point I hadn't considered, Bill. But, Lainey brings up a good counter point that there is a generation gap with most of us "old timers".

Maybe being around the excitement that a new owner has would breath some life into things.

FitzyS2k 07-27-2010 06:08 PM

I've given cards to new owners and never saw them again. I'm the one who puts up car shows and cruise nights to see if anyone would be up to meet. I get nothing.

HARDtoTOP 07-27-2010 06:17 PM

Fitz, I would definitely come to the cruise nights but your a bit far for me. I tried the car show scene once and didn't like it.

I wish there were more cruise nights around here. I still think about those Garden City meets back in the day. That was fun!