New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Honda CR-Z

Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda CR-Z

I have yet to swing by the dealer to see the CR-Z in person. I saw it at the NY auto show back in March, but it was roped off.

My opinion is similar to many other cars out there... "I kinda like it, but I wouldn't buy it. And I don't know anyone who would, or who even asked for that kind of car."

Firstly, has anyone test driven one?

Looking at the specs, it's base is Honda's 1.5 liter 4-cyl engine. So it's essentially a Fit Hybrid, but with a more sporty and less practical body.
And on that thought, I imagine the only reason they don't actually make a Fit Hybrid is because it'd compete against the Insight.

And to top it off, a hybrid won't be nearly as easy to modify. I realize the bulk of Civic owners just want a reliable, economical car... but the CR-Z is trying to woo sports-minded people. Most of those types like to customize and modify their cars... doing that to a hybrid will be more difficult and expensive, so you'd turn off some people.

So yeah. I find myself pondering who would get one. As I said, I kinda like it... I could see myself enjoying it if I had it... but "kinda" doesn't sell cars.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I def wouldn't buy it even if I were in the market for such a car.

I am intrigued and would like to test drive one just to see what it's like, but not enough to want to dick a salesman around over.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Yeah. I kinda want to go test drive it just for fun, and so I can ask the salesman who they think will buy it.

I was kind of thinking in the back of my mind that I might be getting older, because I just don't "get it" when it comes to that car. It looks snappy, but if it's going after the demographic I think it's trying to go after, it's gotta compete with hot hatches like the GTI, or even the Golf.

Unless, of course, they think the young 20-somethings will pay more for a hybrid because they're more conscious of their eco-image. But then again, if people don't get instant recognition as a Hybrid driver, most of the appeal is gone. Honda already took their lumps on the Accord Hybrid of the previous generation... it didn't have the Hybrid look, and it didn't get 45 MPG, so very few people bought it. Only "car people" realized it was the fastest Accord ever made, but still managed Civic MPG levels.

Honestly, I think it's too bad it's a hybrid. It'd be nice if it was just a rebirth of the CR-X for cheap.

But I guess with Congress expecting 60 MPG from cars, this is what we'll be forced to get in the coming years.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Apparently even the project leader realizes that social image and guilt might be why people get a Hybrid.

Norio Tomobe, CR-Z project leader, believes the hybrid element of the CR-Z will make it a guilt-free sports car.

“We carried out extensive research on our prospective customers and we believe that these customers feel proud of possessing a car with values you can talk about with others,” he said.
From: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...a-CR-Z/246730/
Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best motoring did an episode on the cr-z but it's not released yet.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Good thread topic and I agree with the comments. I like the styling, but I really don't get the concept. It is a sporty looking car that is relatively slow and gets good mileage. I might think about it if it was real cheap and I decided to get something to just run around town. But it isn't real cheap, so I am not interested.

I have to wonder is a two liter pure gas power train is coming.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

This may also interest you

https://www.s2ki.com/home/2010/09/28/airgat...new-honda-cr-z/
Old 10-08-2010, 04:20 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by CTMechE,Oct 7 2010, 05:12 PM
Honestly, I think it's too bad it's a hybrid. It'd be nice if it was just a rebirth of the CR-X for cheap.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:29 AM

I like the styling but not the price. Although, I might look into one 5 years from now when someone has taken the brunt of the depreciation. They really need to come out with an "Si" version. Then it would be worth it.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by kenta,Oct 8 2010, 08:29 AM
I like the styling but not the price. Although, I might look into one 5 years from now when someone has taken the brunt of the depreciation. They really need to come out with an "Si" version. Then it would be worth it.
Right, it seems like the appeal to me is the size and body style, not the hybrid. Especially since they got rid of the Civic hatches.

Quick Reply: Honda CR-Z