New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

New to the area... need some advice

Old 12-24-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the area... need some advice

Here's the short story...

I've been in MA for a two weeks now and my wife and I have been sharing her car. My 04S2K was delivered today from Florida. Yes I said Florida... It's the perfect car for FL, but now I'm in MA... I'll explain later.

So after driving in the snow last week, I know that I'm in trouble. I do not own snow tires.

TireRack doesn't have a complete 17" set and if I decide to go with 16" the wheels are backordered.

Since this is my only car and I can't afford another, I need to know of a reputable tire dealer in the area. The "For Sale" forum looks to be sold out for the moment.

I'm looking for fair prices and a joint that won't scuff up your wheels. I've already seen a view bad storys about a place called Town Fair Tires?

I'm currently in the Waltham area until a more permanent house is purchased.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Mass.

I will keep my eyes open and let you know if there is any good tires deal out there. In this time of the year it is extremely difficult to find a good deal for snow tires.

Scott (Twistid) is located in NH and he can mount tires for you. He does good work and just about everybody from this forum can vouch for him. Just get a set of snow tires as soon as you can and then find someone like Scott to mount them for you.

I tried several reputable tire dealers in the Boston area, my experience with them are just not too good. I would not let any one of them touching my S again. So becareful!

Merry Christmas to you and your wife. Looks like we might have a white Christmas! Yay!
Old 12-24-2004, 02:15 PM

LargeCaliber

Welcome to MA! You've made a very difficult move!

You're in Waltham! Not very far from me!

I've had very positive experience of a local Town Fair Tire and Direct Tire in the Framingham area.

Another location that I've had Excellent Experience is Rim and Wheel Works in Newton, MA.

If you want to take a ride up to Manchester, NH... Scott (Twizted) can definitly take care of you.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Shoot me a PM or email if you wish.

Again... to New England!

Glenn
g-s2k@nes2ko.com
Old 12-24-2004, 03:54 PM

The best Tire Rack installer and overall excellent guy is Chang at Funhondas in Maynard, a short ride from Waltham. I have nothing but praise for his work ethic and his attention to detail when mounting and balancing S02s on my S2000. He's also a nationally ranked AutoXr.

Funhondas
20 MAIN STREET REAR
MAYNARD, MA 01754
(978) 897-6649
Old 12-24-2004, 04:49 PM

Welcome to New England
Now go buy yourself a cheap winter beater car !
Old 12-24-2004, 08:24 PM

I only get my tires mounted at FunHondas in Maynard by Chang himself now ...

Let me know if you need an extra set of 16" OEM wheels... (BTW, I'm in Waltham too).

Also, you should use some of the BoeShield stuff to protect the steel/iron parts under the car before it gets too much salt...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=PortugueseS2K,Dec 24 2004, 08:49 PM]Welcome to New England
Old 12-24-2004, 10:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome... it's a little colder up here than I'm used to brrr!

And thanks so far for the installer advice... it's very much appreciated. Chang may be getting a call in a few days.

S2KTaxi... you've got OEM 16's??? That just might fit the bill... I'll let you know in a couple of days as well.

BoeShield??? Never heard of it... what exactly is it and where would I find it?

Also, any special treatment for the soft top?

Any opinions on the Block Heater I've heard about?

Thanks again, you guys are great!
Old 12-25-2004, 09:16 AM
mas

Welcome to NE!

I have also been using Direct Tire for years with no problems.

I use stock wheels for snow tires and they do the change-over free every season.

I have never felt the need for a block heater. The soft top can handle snow pretty well, I'm not aware of any special treatment maybe someone else does?

PS: You will need a lot of luck getting good service from Town Fair.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Hey Large,
welcome to new england.
It's sounds like your new to this whole cold weather thing.
If I may be so bold I'll throw a few ideas your way.

1.) get the snows and soon. The S02's will bite you in the cold.
2.) the first time you get some snow, pick a big parking lot and go play.
the lessons you learn about stopping distance and catching the rear when it goes out may save your skin if not your life.
3.) windshield washer fluid. buy a case. keep it at home, and keep your car filled.
some days your gas mileage will be better than your washer mileage.

4.) same goes for your wiper blades. make sure you have a good set. you don't want crappy blades that won't get the job done.

5.) make sure you have a good ice scraper and trouble shovel in the car. A well sealed bag of sand can be worthy although it will make a mess if your not careful.

6.) give the cold a little while. you'll get used to it. if you try skiing or baording you may learn to look forward to it.

Quick Reply: New to the area... need some advice