S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   New England S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/)
-   -   A question for Mikey C and other car gurus (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/question-mikey-c-other-car-gurus-417000/)

Lainey 08-27-2006 12:17 PM

A question for Mikey C and other car gurus

Any idea if anything can be done for a windshield which seems to be pitted/sandblasted, so to speak, from road crap hitting it?

All suggestions shy of smashing windshield to gain insurance coverage will be appreciated. ;)

djmatix 08-27-2006 12:53 PM

I had the same question not too long ago. I asked my local car guru because my civic had some invisible staining that I would only see when it would rain. He mentioned that glass is a porus material and in a sense could be buffed down (like a plastic headlight cover?)

I never tried it, but I did a quick google search and they do make "glass polishing compound".

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/glass.htm

Bass 08-27-2006 01:55 PM

in MA your insurance comany will give you one free windshield a year because the pitting is a safty issue - :)

call your agent and explain that your windshield is pitted and it WILL be covered

Lainey 08-27-2006 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bass,Aug 27 2006, 05:55 PM
in MA your insurance comany will give you one free windshield a year because the pitting is a safty issue - :)

call your agent and explain that your windshield is pitted and it WILL be covered

We thought of that, but Rick wasn't in a hurry to have it replaced, quite yet. Down the line I'm sure we will.

MikeyC 08-28-2006 07:00 AM

As was already mentioned your two options really are to polish the glass or to get a new windshield.

Personally, I would go with the new windshield as it's the easiest, least costly, and most effective fix. However, if you're set on polishing the windshield glass you can use whatever polish you use on your paint. I've also used dedicated glass polishes before and they work well too. My personal favorite glass polish is . . .

DP High Performance Glass Restorer

Polishing will make the pitting less noticeable but will not fix it.

Be sure to check out the glass polishing chapter in your Nor'Easter Detailing Hand Book!! ;)

Lainey 08-28-2006 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Aug 28 2006, 11:00 AM
As was already mentioned your two options really are to polish the glass or to get a new windshield.

Personally, I would go with the new windshield as it's the easiest, least costly, and most effective fix. However, if you're set on polishing the windshield glass you can use whatever polish you use on your paint. I've also used dedicated glass polishes before and they work well too. My personal favorite glass polish is . . .

DP High Performance Glass Restorer

Polishing will make the pitting less noticeable but will not fix it.

Be sure to check out the glass polishing chapter in your Nor'Easter Detailing Hand Book!! ;)

Hey,

Here were were stuffing all the bags, and we didn't even end up with a damn goodie bag. I got a magnet and Tshirt. Glenn let me have ONE bag of chips when I was starving to death on Thursday night. ;) No syrup, no taffy, no wax and no detailing CD for us........:cry:

Actually, I forgot to grab my detailing CD, but will next time I see Glenn.

Thanks for the tips, Mickey.

g-s2k 08-28-2006 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Aug 28 2006, 10:05 AM
... and we didn't even end up with a damn goodie bag. I got a magnet and Tshirt. Glenn let me have ONE bag of chips when I was starving to death on Thursday night. ;) No syrup, no taffy, no wax and no detailing CD for us........:cry:

You too? :(

I have a CD and more chips for you! :thumbup: :hello: :D

Are you sure you didn't eat more bags of chips that Thursday night? ;)

Lainey 08-28-2006 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by g-s2k,Aug 28 2006, 12:14 PM
You too? :(

I have a CD and more chips for you! :thumbup: :hello: :D

Are you sure you didn't eat more bags of chips that Thursday night? ;)

Not to worry, Glenn. As long as Cubby still has the two shirts I sent him a check for, I'll be OK. :D

g-s2k 08-28-2006 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Aug 28 2006, 11:22 AM
Not to worry, Glenn. As long as Cubby still has the two shirts I sent him a check for, I'll be OK. :D

You have a PM about this ;) :hello:

Lainey 08-28-2006 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by g-s2k,Aug 28 2006, 12:25 PM
You have a PM about this ;) :hello:

I read it. :LOL: