New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Question on registering your car

Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on registering your car

My lien holder has my title right now. My name is under my registeration. If i want to register the car under my mom's name do i have to change the title to her too or do i just go to the rmv and do it? Can somebody chime in? I'm doing this because all state insurance wont let me combine policy with my mom unless all cars are registered to hers, pretty stupid policy..
Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bank owns the car / title until the debt is paid.

Your best bet is to call your bank and ask if it can be done however I don’t think they will allow this because as the debt holder, you are required to carry full insurance for their lose.. ie if something were to happen to the car they would either collect the money or get the car fixed – again they own it and you signed loan documents that you will maintain insurance - maybe they would want your mom to take over the loan

what are you trying to do anyway? Have your mom own the car and list you as a driver? If you live at the same address you’ll still need to be listed as a driver on all her cars - you will still get wacked with surcharges and everything else
Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 PM

actually my mom co-signed it to get the loan. What i am trying to do is switch insurance because progressive Doubled my insurance. I'm trying to switch over to all state because they have a better quote. I'm trying to get my car registered under her name so it would be cheaper for insurance.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM

If you live in the same house as her, make sure your name is on the policy too. Otherwise they can refuse to cover it if you crash.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup that's what i was trying to say -

mom will still have to list you as a driver and you'll still have to pay all the surcharges

your best bet is to call your bank and ask them as they would know better than us (except for maybe cubs because that's his business)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also why did your INS double ?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM

speeding violation =/ from last year. 5 years and i get busted, there goes my long term good driving record. Right now i have progressive. They allow me to have it on the same policy as my mom. We live in the same house but my car is registered under my name and her car is registered to hers. All state however, even though we live on the same house hold we cant have the same names on the same policy unless all the cars are registered under the same name. So that applies to me. Since my car is not registered under her name. They require me to have my own policy.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think any Ins company will still ding you for the violation
Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Mass auto insurance companies are now more competitive, BUT if you are listed on Mom's policy, with others, your driving history will likely add to the premium, even if the car is in her name.

It's like adding an underage driver on the parents' policy. Ask Jerry/bolton blue what he pays for insurance.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM

but i would expect it to be cheaper than having my own policy and also it gives a multi car discount?

Quick Reply: Question on registering your car