New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Respray front bumper

Old 05-10-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000sccaracer
Not sure what color your car is, but color match may be an issue. Had a silverstone front bumper cover resprayed a few years ago with paint that I supplied from a local auto body supply store. The shop did a nice job, but the color was off a little and it was noticeable. The shop wanted me to bring the whole car and spray the fenders and hood to blend in the same paint as the bumper. I found another cover with OEM paint that was a better match and put that on the car.
That concerns me. My car is Suzuka blue. It has been garaged its whole life, with the exception of spending some of the summer out in the driveway three or four years.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have Suzuka blue and had a bunch of work done. The color IS an issue but I had them do my bumper and lip and they look GREAT.

Advanced Auto Body
116 Kersey Rd.
Peacedale, RI 02879
Office (401) 783-0015

Not sure if that's too far for you, but if you call tell them ask for Sean and say Mike with the s2000 sent you
Old 05-11-2016, 03:23 AM

Thanks Mike!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Hollis Autobody.

http://www.hollisautobody.com

230 Eliot Street
Ashland, MA

They repaired my TSX. I've been thinking of bringing the s2000 to them but what I would like to do is over my budget. I have tons of scratches and hail damage.

Oh and I will be rocking the dirty s2000 this weekend. I don't have time to do the first detail of the year.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

My experience over the years has been somewhat rough, with multiple bodyshops attempting to match my S2K's Silverstone front and rear bumpers 6+ times over past 10+ years. Once you start respraying bumpers, be prepared to see a slight difference under some angles, especially with our colors. Because bumpers are plastic, even with OEM paint there is already a slight difference in metal painted parts and plastics. It is also very important for them to layer the flake in a similar pattern/direction as the OEM paint, which I'm pretty darn sure is impossible to do without having the car there. Even if you pay them extra to do a few test sprays on test panels, it'll be much better but they still won't "mimic" a layering technique that a HONDA robot did at the factory.

Sure, you can have bumpers blended with metal parts like hood and fenders which is what I chose to do. I never should have. Once you do that, you'll start to notice other things wrong with their work and start chasing those issues. For example, they didn't level the paint right, or remove as much orange peel in one spot or the other, etc. Overall it's a nightmare if you are as picky as I am, it's a slippery slope that's extremely frustrating and expensive. To me a car with OEM paint is that much more desirable, and to others probably as well.

If I ever had to do it all over again i'd give them the car, tell them to do their best to get the match as close as possible to the OEM, DO NOT blend into panels and be prepared for it to look SLIGHTLY off under some angles. Keeping paint OEM all around and sticking to only painting the bumper covers is what I'll do with my future vehicles.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded answer. As you can tell I am very picky so I do not have a favorite bodyshop yet, if ever, because it's never good enough for me.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 PM

That was very good information. Thank you very much!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Bill are you going to paint it on or off the car?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

I might also be interested in a "two-for... "
My lower front bumper clipped something and has a 1" hole punched in it.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:15 AM

Jerry, my plan was to remove it myself and take it to a body shop for the prep and paint and then reinstall it myself. Dmitry's post has me second guessing myself. I'm now wondering if I should take it to the Boch collision center as they do all the work for Boch Honda? I understand that the match may not be perfect, but I want to work with someone who can get it close as possible. I called them on the phone and they were very comfortable with me taking it off and bringing it to them. I may bring the car for them to look at and give me an estimate. I'll let you know what I learn.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

places that don't mix their own place usually send out a piece to the paint supplier so they can match the paint. since its your front bumper they will more then likely send the tow hook cover to match the paint

paint matching shouldn't be that big of an issue for any shop unless its like some 3 stage pearl paint or something crazy

Quick Reply: Respray front bumper