New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners
View Poll Results: Do you use satelite radio?
YES: XM
39.13%
YES: Sirius
23.91%
NO: Vintage radio is good enough
36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Satelite radio users

Old 02-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satelite radio users

Myself, I am an XM user. I used to be one of the people who thought "why pay for radio when it is availible free". All this changed when I had to travel about an hour to work every morning for about 5 months. I got sick of all the BS talking in the morning on just about all the chanells. Then, if they did play a song or two in between the crap, they followed it up with 5 minutes of comercials

Plus, I got sick of the same 15-20 songs they play back to back. I wanted more music, and more variety. So, I decided to give it a try. I picked XM becuase I listen to major league baseball games and I don't listen to Howard Stern. Also, XM had a few more music channells that seemed to suit me. I am sure Sirius suits others taste just as well.

Best move I ever made. I can now listen to music every single second, with not one comercial. I can also listen to 80's music if I feel like it, and then when I get sick of that, switch to 90's or top 40. News, sports, stand up comedy, I got it all. It's nice to be able to hear Sam Kinneson going nuts without it being censored every other word. Also, not having to find good chanels when I go on a long trip is great. Local or at a meet in NH or VT, I will be listening to the same stations I like.

I now have a portable XM radio that I use in my work car, and I put a separate car cradle in my wifes car to swap in between easily. I also installed another unit in the S2000 that stays in there all the time. I find that I don't even listen to my MP3s too much anymore due to the variety of music on the XM. I have used XM since last March, and I just renewed for another year.

I bet this looks like an advertisment for XM, but I am jsut trying to find out how many NE people use sat radio and if not, WHY? Seriously, not to flame, just wondering why anyone wouldn't want it. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had xm since 02 -for the same reason as you.. hated all the blablabla on morning radio..

I love streaming xm at work however i now find myself listening to NPR on the ride into the office because i really like the content and in my never ending quest to be cheap (heck I don
Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM

The Ridgeline comes with XM so when I got mine preowned, I got XM to give me a free month to try it out. I liked it, but they want like $15 a month for it. If they had the NFL I might consider it during football season, but they dont.
There are other promotions you can use to get a better rate too. The best I know of is $77 for a year. I'm just cheap I guess. Money is tight these days.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:49 PM

Yeah, I think monthly it is $12.95 for the first radio. They give you a discount the longer you subscribe. I go year to year, and I save about $12per, so I guess I pay around $12 even a month. The second and subsequent units you own go on the family plane for $6.99/mo you can have up to five of them. I guess it's worth more to me when you consider that I am in the car for 8+ hrs a whack while at work.

Another way to look at it, is that it is less than $0.50 a day for the service. Cut out a candy bar or can of coke and there you are. But, if you're not listening to music much anyway, I can see why it would be a waste.

I do wish XM had the NASCAR in car radio stuff. I would like to hear the drivers talk to the crew cheifs about tire conditions, handling and whatnot, but that alone isn't enough to make me switch.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Between my two brothers and myself we share a Sirius account. 3 radios, 1 account = much cheaper. I also like to stream Howard over my laptop while I'm at work.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:23 PM

I've had Sirius for just over a year and love it. It was a toss up for me between Sirius with NFL and XM with baseball, but I just felt Sirius had more to offer and was just starting to thrive with Howard on the radio. With subscribers flocking to Sirius I figured more content to come. NASCARS not what I had in mind, but it's a start.
I went to Satellite for the same reason, couldn't stand the stupid commercials anymore. Yes there is commercials with talk shows, but they only last a minute or two, not for 10 minutes! And all the music stations are commercial free and uncencored. Nothing like listening to old Eddie Murphy or Sam or other commedians without the bleeps. It took a while, but most of the stations are streaming on the internet now. When I first joined, I didn't realize that none of the talk or comedy stations were streamed.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:41 PM

Yeah, the streaming is cool too. I usualy stream XM on my laptop inside the house, so it's like having another unit for the same price. Sirius is offering a streaming only subscription, but I haven't checked out for how much. If it's cheap, it may be worth it to me for the NASCAR channels.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:48 PM

I have both XM and Sirius because each has exclusive rights to NFL, NBA, MLB. Yes, I'm a sports nut and I need to listen to live play-by-plays or just check real time scores.

XM I would say is much more organized in their channel numbers and provide more display contents than Sirius.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:50 PM

is that your antenna right on top of the windshield?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

We thought about it, but tossed the idea. Our "commutes" are about 10 minutes each. We do spend a lot of time in the S, but it's only for a few months a year. We TRY to keep the CD's updated (No we don't have an Ipod) and bring plenty along on a long trip. I too hate all the yapping on the radio.

So we wouldn't mind the satellite radio, the fact is it's just something that doesn't seem worth the $. BTW we HATE paying the cable thieves too.

Quick Reply: Satelite radio users