New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

The Thanksgiving Kingdom

Old 11-23-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default The Thanksgiving Kingdom

Turkey is the King of the Thanksgiving Kingdom. Large and majestic, it reigns supreme over the other lesser foods of the table. The side dishes are drawn to the Turkey and seem to radiate out from it. Even sliced, the Turkey platter draws all eyes to its magnificence. All hail the Turkey King!
Old 11-23-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

to the turkey.

The lowly side dishes will just be "supporting actors."

Speaking of side dishes, do any of you "mess with tradition" when it comes to what you serve?

Our menu doesn't vary from year to year. In our house, the Turkey Day menu is not to be messed with.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stolen from Emeril

this should go well with the bird

bourbon mashed....

6 roasted whole sweet potatoes, about 2 pounds, skin left on, warm
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup MARKERS MARK - ( i think i have a cup left )
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper

the potatoes should be roasted for 40 minutes at 425 degrees F. Remove the skin from the roasted sweet potatoes and place in a sauce pot.

Over low heat, partially mash the sweet potatoes. Add the cream, bourbon and butter, continue to mash until all the ingredients are incorporated and the potatoes are smooth but with small lumps. Season with salt end pepper.

na lainey it's always the same - bird normal sides - prime rib
Old 11-23-2006, 06:58 AM

^
Always the same? But you're cooking bourbon mashed sweet pototoes?

You cook a prime rib too?

I think we should be heading to your house instead.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:04 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Mashed potatos are the Church of the Thanksgiving Kingdom. Smooth and uniform, all are equal in the mashed potato bowl. It's plain color and texture gives us simple sustanance and satisfaction. The occasional lump reminds us that even those who are rough around the edges are still members of the heavenly kingdom. The sweet butter melted on top reminds us of the reward of the afterlife, or the benefits you receive from your god, by whatever name you worship. Enjoy your mashed potatos with respect and reverence.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, have you been hitting the Egg Nog early this year???

The bird's almost done at our house. Smelling and looking good. Yummy!!
Old 11-23-2006, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 23 2006, 11:04 AM
Mashed potatos are the Church of the Thanksgiving Kingdom. Smooth and uniform, all are equal in the mashed potato bowl. It's plain color and texture gives us simple sustanance and satisfaction. The occasional lump reminds us that even those who are rough around the edges are still members of the heavenly kingdom. The sweet butter melted on top reminds us of the reward of the afterlife, or the benefits you receive from your god, by whatever name you worship. Enjoy your mashed potatos with respect and reverence.
Mashed potatoes are on the menu, with gravy. It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without mashed pototoes. As a kid, mashed potatoes were on the menu just about every day. Got a bit sick of them over the years and we seldom have them here at home.

However, when a turkey or a roasted chicken is on the menu, gotta have potatoes and gravy. I do prefer that the gravy used on the mashed potatoes stay away from the vegetables on my plate. I'm calling that a quirk. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ummm let me try......

Gravy represents the people of Thanksgiving Kingdom, for without Gravy, who would the king rule, and who would go to church? The gravy ties everything in the kingdom together. The ingredience of gravy remind us of the fabric of kingdom society, the flour of the masses and the fat of the king. For sure...the kingdom would be at a great loss without gravy.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna know what Bill and Cubs are putting in their gravy.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:33 AM

Obviously I don't know how to play this game.

I thought it was just about food.

Quick Reply: The Thanksgiving Kingdom