New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Would You Still Buy this S2000?

Old 10-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Car has almost no miles and too many mystery problems. Don't get hung up on original panels and body tags. If the car is not mechanically sound it's not a good deal. Especially if they can't diagnose the problem. You could end up with a roller. Car may have accumulated 4000 miles going from hand to hand trying to diagnose a problem that's still not apparent. May have low miles cause it's not dependable.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Are we supposed to know who " Herb Chambers" is? Other than appearing to be a sketchy car retailer? Used cars?

Wait! You're borrowing money on this car early car with a plastic rear window and crap tires? Run, don't walk away.

-- Chuck
Your name should be Richard Chuck.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso
Car has almost no miles and too many mystery problems. Don't get hung up on original panels and body tags. If the car is not mechanically sound it's not a good deal. Especially if they can't diagnose the problem. You could end up with a roller. Car may have accumulated 4000 miles going from hand to hand trying to diagnose a problem that's still not apparent. May have low miles cause it's not dependable.
Interesting take. However, the dealership has said that the engine is good mechanically. 220's across the board for compression, no bent valves, they did a valve adjustment, performed a leak down test. Since this is a major Honda dealer, I'm assuming they performed those test properly/are not lying about the numbers.

I feel like if they've already eliminated many of the major problems that could cause a misfire, isn't my risk greatly reduced in figuring out what is causing the problem? I feel like the remaining fixes are most of the "easy" or relatively inexpensive options. And for $13,700 with low miles, isn't it worth the gamble (in what I feel like could be a favorable gamble)?

Would also like to hear from anyone that might take this deal or if anyone has thoughts as to what a worse case scenario would be. I mean, let's say it does have problems and I have to spend $4k to fix it all, I'd be in at $17.7k; is that so bad for a 55k mile AP1?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Hmm I would tend to agree....

Herb Chambers has been around a long time. Is the CEL still on? Can a vehicle with a CEL pass MASS inspection? The car has to be "stickerable" as far as I know.

Personally, we'd walk away from that deal and keep looking. There are other S2000's out there. Too much unknown on this one.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Hmm I would tend to agree....and I think I've said so previously.

Is the CEL still on? Can a vehicle with a CEL pass MASS inspection? The car has to be "stickerable" as far as I know.

Personally, we'd walk away from that deal and keep looking. There are other S2000's out there. Too much unknown on this one.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Are we supposed to know who " Herb Chambers" is? Other than appearing to be a sketchy car retailer? Used cars?

Wait! You're borrowing money on this car early car with a plastic rear window and crap tires? Run, don't walk away.

-- Chuck
LMGTFY

Old 10-31-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

As Kenny Rogers put it, " you got to know when to walk away and know when to run.

He can't sell it in mass if it won;t pass inspection including emissions testing.
The vehicle also has to be driven 100 miles after the CEL is cleared before testing can occur.
I would ask then how they anticipate it will pass emissions?
If they believe you really want the car they can ask if you want to pay for it.
After all what do they have to lose?
Go git your money there son.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:55 PM

Wait, you mean it's a Honda dealer? And they can't diagnose or fix the car? But they told you the engine is good mechanically. Nah!
Engine is no good to me if it has a problem that no one can find, especially the Factory Trained mechanic.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 PM

I just googled Herb Chambers. A big ass place like that can't fix your car! It's a problem.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little surprised by the responses. As shown in the first post from the misfire thread (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...thread-659930/), there are many things that could cause a misfire and you have to test each one and it's a bit of trail and error. I feel the dealer has already tested most of the big areas (compression, valves, leak-down, ECU, etc.) and those all checked out.

They're saying the next logical replacement would be the fuel injectors. However, because the fuel injectors will cost $1,300 to replace, they don't want to do that only to find that it didn't fix the problem. So, they're offering to just write me a check for $1,300 and I can have them replaced there or go somewhere else to fix it.

My thinking is that they've already eliminated many of the potential issues and that there are only a few left, and those are the smaller ones. Given the $1,300 extra, I feel I have a good chance of being able to get the issue fixed and probably for less than the 1.3k. Therefore, coming ahead on the deal...and on a deal I thought was already good ($15k) for the car.

But with all the "run" responses, I'm starting to second guess my line of thinking.

Quick Reply: Would You Still Buy this S2000?