New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

EPS/ABQ - Gila Triangle Drive! 03/31!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 AM
R_W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS/ABQ - Gila Triangle Drive! 03/31!

It is time we unite the West Texas / Southern New Mexico crew and the Northern New Mexico crew for a get together + drive. Since we've been talking about this for weeks amongst ourselves, I think now would be a perfect time to set this up. It is also a good time to say farewell to a buddy who is deploying to Japan in May: Clint (RaikouS2K)

DATE: Saturday, March 31st

Meeting Location: We will aim to meet in San Antonio, NM for lunch at 11:00AM / 11:15AMish at the Owl Cafe or the Buckhorn Tavern for a Green Chille Cheese burger or two.

We will depart from San Antonio at 1pm, and we will proceed south on I-25 to NM HWY 152.
(Gas stop in Truth or Consequences at the Chevron)
Drive time: about 1h

From there, we will drive 2/3rds of the "Gila Triangle" to Silver City.
There will be a bathroom break at the visitors center at Emory Pass and one at the Gila Ruins visitors center.
Drive time: about 3h 30min

Once in Silver City, there are a few places to stop for dinner. I'm sure we can all vote and pick something once we arrive.
Helpful: http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/234/2691...ty-restaurants

That should be a fantastic drive for one day
Remember to bring your cameras! Some good scenery will be available, as well some some great cars, roads, and friends.

Hope to see you all there!

ATTENDING:
El Paso:
1) R_W - Roy
2) raikouS2K - Clint
3) S2KMyth - Ken
4) RaulChavez - Raul
5) Murdoc86 - Carson
6) PatriotSix - Matt
7)

Albuquerque (I'll let someone else fill in first names here)
1) Sharkbite- Jason
2) CroftonCustoms- Doug
3) cadams05nfr
4) KillerB- Phil
5) Surf183- Cody
6) BrandonJay_1983 (maybe)
7) BoostedHonda
8) Coop - Bruce (Maybe)
9)

Note: This post will be edited accordingly as new developments arise. The date is set, the route is set, but the times may be changed somewhat to be more accommidating to others.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 AM
R_W

EL PASO INSTRUCTIONS

We will be having a little pre-drive drive after we meet Clint.

El Paso crew will meet at the Shell Station / Dairy Queen on Transmountain West x I-10 at 7:00AM to gas up. We will leave there at 7:30AM. (Yeah, I know... it is kinda early for a Saturday... BUT it will be worth it! ) If you do not make it to meet us there in time, call one of us for a location, -OR- just meet us in San Antonio. PM me for my Cell ###

CLINT:, we will meet you at the rest stop / scenic overlook just West of the Aguirre Springs Road (which is west of the White Sands Missile Range) at 815AM / 830AM-ish. You can't miss the rest stop / scenic overlook, since it has a HUGE missile there to take pictures in front of.

From there, we shall do our little quickie warm-up drive:

*NOTE* I still need to make sure this park is open at 8am. Stay tuned for info on that.
EDIT: The park opens at 8AM. Checked 03/29/12

It is 2h 15m from the Springs Road to San Antonio, so we will need to vacate the area by 9:00AM and be in San Antonio ready for some chow by 11ish.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:05 AM

Can't wait!
I don't think either of the burger places are open on the weekends tho?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM
R_W

Legit point. I'll look into it.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!!! Sounds like a great plan.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
R_W

Originally Posted by sharkbite
Can't wait!
I don't think either of the burger places are open on the weekends tho?

Originally Posted by R_W
Legit point. I'll look into it.
Both are open on Saturdays, however we may run into a delay. Apparently both places get REALLY busy on the weekends. I think we'll still be fine, though.
I am thinking ahead to the drive back and 152, downhill, in the dark... Quite the experience. The sooner we get up to Silver, the sooner we can get back down in the daylight, or at least with the sun setting behind us.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM

Woo, cant wait! Ill have a fresh oil change, and ill be good to goooooooo! everyone better go this is gonna be badass!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:55 PM

Roy, nice route plotted out. Couple of points to think about.

1. By the time we get back to I-25, us ABQ folks will still have a 2 1/2 hour drive back north. Some of us may opt to stay in Silver for the night and then head back on 180 north the next day.

2. Long time between potty breaks from T or C to the other end of 152, especially for the fairest amongst us (LOL). In a pinch, there are several camp grounds along the way. I would also recommend a stop at the Emory pass lookout, which also has facilities and great views!

3. In March and April the weather can turn dogshit with sandstorms and all. With that in mind, we may want to think about keeping a couple of weekends open for the drive.

4. Finally, how about a quick dry run with everyone just staying on I 25? We could meet for a burger at San Antionio and everyone could be back home later that afternoon. We could do this in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting.

Whats'ya think?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 PM

I'm gonna go if my friend can come, if I can find a place to stay that night, and if I can afford it all.... but most likely I will be joining everyone.

Quick Reply: EPS/ABQ - Gila Triangle Drive! 03/31!