New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

Winter in Albuquerque

Old 09-01-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Winter in Albuquerque

Hey all, My wife and I will be in Albuquerque for 4 months from mid December through the 2nd week of April. I am trying to decide if it is worth it to bring my S2k out there during that time or not. So I have a few questions:

1) is there enough decent weather to be worth bringing it

2) are there any fun roads to drive that have good enough conditions during that time of year to be worth bringing the car

3) Given my situation, would you bring it out in addition to our other car (a dodge durango) or just leave it home (car would probably be trailered behind the Durango)

thanks in advance!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends what the winter will be like. I got my car last year, and it snowed a lot last winter, it's the only car I have and I was drifting around like crazy! it was fun, but I was worried for the safety of myself and my car, so I spent a lot of the winter driving my moms car.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM

It all depends on the winter like Raven said. From what I've heard it's supposed to be el niño winter and colder/more moisture than last year.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 PM

We have great mountain roads to drive on but with the snow and ice brings rocks and sand. In the lower elevation we get less snow but still and lots of rocks for chipped paint and cracked windshields. I don't drive my car in those months. But the weather here is great in the winter, where are you from?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM

Grew up in New York state, lived in New Jersey when I bought the car, and drove it (on proper tires) through one north eastern winter (did really well, no real traction issues with proper throttle control and proper tires). So I am very familiar with what a real winter is. Basically we are trying to decide if we would be able to enjoy the car enough to warrant the extra expense of trailering it our there. We will be driving from Pensacola Florida.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM

I'd drive mine from FL. See if those Louisiana State troopers can catch ya, boy. ABQ is perfect for the S all year, but Jasons right, I need paint and a windshield.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Im noot too worried about minor paint chips and such, the car made it through a north east winter, and over 3.5 seasons of regular autocross and all the cone marks to go with it, not to mention the dings of being a 127k mile DD. I'm pretty torn still at this point LOL.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i Daily mine all year for the past 4 years. Bring it and have fun. Just keep in mind that if it snows the morning are rough with the other drivers, but by noon its melted and the other drivers are still out here. This year she might be parked and getting work done, but if she is out then my girlfirend and i can show you two the fun roads.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM

I daily drive mine as well. I vote to bring it, like Doug said of it snows usually it's already melted by the afternoon of the next day.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for bringing it here! I drive mine all year round... and the snowfall here is pitiful! It rarely snows enough here in the ABQ valley to worry about getting the car around. I rock summer tires all year! lol

Quick Reply: Winter in Albuquerque