New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

*** IMPORTANT ***Final Plans for the Dragon Caravan

Old 03-19-2004, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be at the dragon in only a few weeks. As I write this the dragon event will include 73 cars and over 100 participants !!! Final plans are as follows:

There will be two meeting places for all those traveling together from (or through) the Metro area:

1) 5:45 p.m. in Western Nassau County : This meeting location shall be in the parking lot of the Kitchen Kabaret ( http://www.kitchenkabaret.com/ ) which is about 500 feet north of the Long Island Expressway Exit 39 - Glen Cove Road .

2) 7:45 p.m. Basking Ridge, NJ : This meeting location shall be in the parking lot of The Inn at Somerset HIlls, NJ ( see directions here: http://www.theinnatsomersethills.com/directions.html ) . This location is a little north of exit 33 of I-78 .

IF YOU ARE JOINING THE CARAVAN FROM MANHATTAN AND DON'T WANT TO GO EAST TO LONG ISLAND TO MEET US I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU PLAN ON MEETING US AT THE N.J. RENDEVOUS POINT -- WE WILL NOT DEFINITELY BE PASSING THROUGH MANHATTAN SO A HOOK UP IN THE CITY MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE !!! AS WE LEAVE THE WESTERN NASSAU LOCATION WE WILL LISTEN TO TRAFFIC REPORTS AND IF TRAFFIC IS BAD THROUGH MANHATTAN THEN WE MAY TAKE THE G.W. BRIDGE.

Please arrive, with at least 3/4 a tank of gas, on time at both locations. If you do plan to meet at either location you should send me a PM and include your cell phone number (I in turn will send you mine) and which rendevouz point you will be at. If we have your cell phone number and you are not at the meeting place we will call you before we depart. If we do not have your cell phone number or can not reach you by phone, and if all others that have given cell phone numbers have arrived, then we will depart without you.

I have alotted approximately two hours for the western Nassau group to travel the 60 miles to the meeting place in New Jersey. Our actual arrival there should be between 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. . Once there we will follow the same proceedure regarding calls to those who have given a cell phone number and have not arrived at the rendevous location on time.

I urge all participants in the Dragon event to bring an FRS radio and extra batteries. The radio station we will use for this drive is channel five. Please set your radio so it DOES NOT send an annoying tone or ding dong every time you transmit .

I have been in touch with a hotel in Winchester, Va. that appears to be decent and will give us a 10% discount if we indicate the we were told we can have the corporate rate. The room will cost approximately $60.00 plus tax for the night. Here is the link to the hotel information:

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=191744

Please make your own reservations and communicate between one another if you wish to arrange to share rooms. If someone wants to share a room please post this in this thread.

As long as we depart from the N.J. rendevous place by 8:30 p.m. on Thursday eve. we should make the 250 mile trip to the hotel in Winchester, Va. by 12:30 a.m. at the very latest.

On Friday morning we should be on the road by approximately 8:00 a.m. (breakfast is included in the hotel room rate); this will enable a somewhat leisurely pace for Friday's 500 mile trip to the event hotel in Knoxville. We may even be able to stop for lunch !!! The goal is to arrive in Knoxville between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. on Friday.

Please PM me to discuss anything or if you have specific questions.

Eliot
Old 03-19-2004, 07:49 PM

I made my reservations at the Hotel for the night of 4/15/04 so I'm all
Set and Eliot you already have my cell number so I'll meet you guys at the
NJ meeting spot can't wait Waaahoooo!!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:08 AM

Received 1,236 Likes on 756 Posts

Eliot, you've got PM....finally getting off my ass and signing up, anybody want to split a room in VA or Knoxville, hit me up via PM....I've already reserved a room at the Signature/Jameson in Knoxville, I'll wait it out a few days for the hotel res. in VA to see if anyone wants to pair up and save some ching...CAN'T WAIT
Old 03-22-2004, 05:27 PM

Just an update -- I have been contacted by the Virginia contingency and they have expressed an interest in joining us yankees for the drive down on Friday morning. The plan is to meet them at 8:30 a.m. on Friday at an exit a little south of where we will be bedding down on Thursday night. There should be about 6 of them and I am figuring on nearly 10 of us -- so we should be a nice sized group !!!

To meet them at 8:30 we will have to depart from the hotel by 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning.

Here is a link to the Va/NY Metro caravan organizational thread:

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=193242

See you all soon.

Eliot
Old 03-22-2004, 07:08 PM

Thats kwl the more the better, See you Virginian's soon
Old 03-22-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Eliot,

Thanks for the update.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:11 PM

Hey Elliot I cant I totaled my S2000 I have a 2004 acura TL now I dont think that would be a good car for the dragon. Thanks for the invite...
Old 03-23-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 1,236 Likes on 756 Posts

Just a little info on the FRS radio. FRS (Family Radio Service) radios, which resemble walkie talkies, can be purchased at many places, including Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Target, etc. Best Buy seems to have a good selection and the best prices. They range from 15 bucks for a single unit with a MAX 2 mile range, up to 100 bucks for two 7 mile units with rechargeable batteries and a charging station. I would recommend any of the 5 mile units, because the mileage factor is based on straight-line, unobstructed reception. Audiovox and Cobra(:EDIT: AS PER ELIOT) appear to be the better ones. I'll prolly get a pair because I KNOW there will be some FRS delinquents...
Old 03-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Bill - Costco has two sets of Motorolas -one for 49.99 & one for 59.99- both have NiCads and a charging station - the 59.99 adds in weather and and additional range of privacy channels. I just picked up a set - I'll bring them out when I come into the shop.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:46 PM

My overall experience has been that the newer Motorola units have NOT been that good . I have had and seen many Motorola units, as well as Cobra and Audiovox. I have been happiest with the Cobra and Audiovox. If I were to buy one today it would probably be an audiovox.

Quick Reply: *** IMPORTANT ***Final Plans for the Dragon Caravan