New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Best route around George Washington Brindge

Old 10-27-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best route around George Washington Brindge

Came down through NYC this morning using the Gearge Washington Bridge (I-95) what a mess. I was in a parkinglot for almost an hour and a half. What is the best route to avoid that area? I use to plan the George Washington Bride (I-95) route the same way, but the construction is just got the area in a mess.

What are some thought about the Tapensee Bridge?

Any input would be appreciated, I will be heading back on 10/30 planning the trip so that I am in NYC area after the morning rush hour.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:16 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are you coming down from? I95 from CT? im not exactly sure how to do it, but figure out a way to head towards the henry hudson southbound right onto the GWB (its kinda complicated and i get there sometimes by luck). that'll bypass the mess on the cross bronx coming in from 95 south. also, try to head towards the lower level too cuz they are diverting all commercial traffic to the upper level for a checkpoint.

the tappan zee is a nightmare to get to.. theres some serious construction right before the bridge in westchester.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:01 AM
Former Moderator

Rowland, give us a point A and a point B. I can tell you a million ways in and out of Manhattan. Just need to know where you want to go.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:41 AM

Sorry about that, it normally does helps to let you know where one is going.

I will be driving from Wilmington, DE going to Nashua, NH. I would normally take NJT to George Washington bridge then up through CT using I-91 to I-84 to I-90... Nashua.

I had been using the old way for years, I always just planned to hit NYC outside of the rush hour traffic patter. I could make the run in 4 to 4.5 hours. Saturdays trip down took me 6.5 hours.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:12 AM
Former Moderator

Hmm, actually now that I know where you are going that might be the best way (GWB).

The only other way would be going all the way north (which you have to do anyway but it is taking you more west, then cutting across the Tappan Zee Bridge. Which depending on the time of day isn't always the greatest, especially now with all the construction they are doing around there.

I assume you don't want to cut through Manhattan that will probably only add time.

Of course, you could always go NJTP through Staten Island into Brooklyn/Queens then shoot up one of the bridges there to go through Connecticut.

I think either way will be about the same.

bkw - he is going from south to north.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:19 AM

Tappan Zee is probably the best way to go if GWB is congested. Although you have to take a big loop around to get back onto I95. If you have online access on the road you may want to try www.metrocommute.com and click on NYC. It gives you the latest traffic conditions plus live pictures for certain locations.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:16 AM

Unfortunately the GWB is still you're best route if you ask me.

there are backroads you can take to make your wait getting onto the GWB easier but you'd have to know the area pretty well

PMSG me if you'd like to know those side roads...should save you 15-30mins depending on the traffic onto the bridge
Old 10-29-2001, 12:45 PM

Received 564 Likes on 507 Posts

Rowland,

This way is a tad long but it will avoid the GWB.

Take the Turnpike to the end but instead of heading for the GWB shoot for Route 80 West and get off on either Route 17 North to I-87 South/I-287 East to the Tappan Zee Bridge or the Garden State Parkway North to I-87 South/I-287 East.

After crossing the bridge stay right and stay on 287 East Cross Westchester Expressway.

Stay on 287 East unitl you get to I-684/Westchester Ave.

Take I-684 North to I-84 East.

Stay on I-84 East past Waterbury, Hartford, etc. unitl you get to I-90 East, Mass. Pike.

I-90 East, Mass. Pike to 128/I-95 North.

I just made this trip this past weekend as I was up in Boston and Peterborough this past weekend visiting some friends.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:40 PM

Thanks everyone! I am going to give S2ko's a try. All your input is greatly appreciated.

Rowland
Old 10-30-2001, 12:33 PM

S2ko,
Great directions! It turned out to be 27 miles longer than using the GWB, but it was definately less time, 5 hours. I am sure coming back it probably would have taking me 7 hours using I-95. It was a nice change to doing the same old thing, I will keep a copy of the directions with my maps so that I have it just incase I need them again.

I saw a Silver S2000 on the Tappan Zee Bridge. Was that one of you? I think we were lucky because we were both moving pretty good (80-85)and the dark blue chevy infront of us turned out to be an unmarked police car. There were two officers inside the car, I did not realize it until I saw them go thru the toll booth.

Originally posted by s2ko
Rowland,

This way is a tad long but it will avoid the GWB.

Take the Turnpike to the end but instead of heading for the GWB shoot for Route 80 West and get off on either Route 17 North to I-87 South/I-287 East to the Tappan Zee Bridge or the Garden State Parkway North to I-87 South/I-287 East.

After crossing the bridge stay right and stay on 287 East Cross Westchester Expressway.

Stay on 287 East unitl you get to I-684/Westchester Ave.

Take I-684 North to I-84 East.

Stay on I-84 East past Waterbury, Hartford, etc. unitl you get to I-90 East, Mass. Pike.

I-90 East, Mass. Pike to 128/I-95 North.

I just made this trip this past weekend as I was up in Boston and Peterborough this past weekend visiting some friends.

Quick Reply: Best route around George Washington Brindge