New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Which car to get dilemma

Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car to get dilemma

Good morning Metro,

I'm having a hard time deciding which car to purchase next. I originally wanted a $1000 car and was looking at the 3rd generation Prelude and 80s BMWs. Ended up spending 6x that amount the first time around.

In May I purchased a first generation Honda Insight because I put a lot of miles on my car everyday to commute to work. It saved me (at the time) $6-7 daily in fuel costs ($120-140 a month). In reality it saved me maybe $20-30 total as I barely drove it. I continued to take the S2000. Even though I averaged 65mpg driving it normally and not hypermiling, the car was a little scary at 80mph (sways back and forth due to wind, it's lightweight aluminum body, and very slim tires). Not to mention I felt like a huge dork in the car. Anyway, I sold it after owning it for a total of 3 weeks.

So then I went back to searching. Thought about the $1000 cars again. Then I really started to like the 04/05 Civic Si. Was very close to purchasing one until I found a great deal on a '06 Civic Si Coupe with HFP kit, HFP sport muffler, HFP suspension. I really like this car. I now understand what all the reviews said about the car. It doesn't have to be fast to have fun. It's plenty for the highway. The car is so well maintained, my mileage is quite a bit higher than what the EPA rates it. This is with the AC on all the time and driving normally, not slow. I put just over 3000 miles in one month since I also drove to Ohio with it. Very comfortable.

Anyway, I now want to sell it after 5 weeks. I sold the Insight to get a more practical vehicle and this car is more practical. Just not as practical as I thought. I feel like a highschool kid driving the car with people in the backseat. So I am now considering a 4-door Civic Si. I always liked the 4-door more but this deal was perfect for me at the time as I had cash burning a hole in my pocket then. I will just roll over what I get from this car into the next car. I will take out a loan to pay the difference but that is not an issue. I will not be modding the car more than a set of wheels and if available, a factory lip kit.

Now I am stuck with a few choices. While I don't plan to do this commute forever, I do plan to drive for many years to come. Whether it's for pleasure or for errands, I will still be driving something. If I go for a new car, I will not be selling it after a month or even year. I will be keeping it for 5+ years the very least.

-2009/2010/2011 cpo or new leftover Civic Si Sedan. Wait for the new 2012 Civic Si Sedan with it's 2.4l. I personally don't care about the engine difference, I just prefer it because it's a new bodystyle and will look newer in several years.

-2011 new Insight. Or wait for 2012 Insight to see if there are any changes (refreshed bumpers/interior/anything). Considering this because of it's gas mileage and it is Civic sized. It's a comfortable vehicle for around town. I would purchase the EX with NAV or EX and add in an aftermarket navigation for the same/similar cost but come out ahead since Honda's oem navigation looks like it belongs in the early-mid 2000s.

-E46 M3. Just because I always wanted it and now that I can afford it as a 2nd vehicle, I am shying away from it because it would put me in the same position I am in now. I would only go this route if I sell my S2000 as well and get another sub16k 4 door to replace it.

What is the best choice?

S2000+Civic Si Sedan (09-11)
S2000+Civic Si Sedan (2012)
S2000+Insight(2011/2012)
E46 M3+Civic LX/EX (2006ish) or similar 4 door compact car
other .. if you can think of another 4 door besides the Civic Si that gets 30mpg highway, please say so. I

If it makes any difference, my S2000 is very well maintained with no issues. I purchased it with 9000 miles on it and now it has just over 50,000.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 AM

I read through your thread, but my daughter has been yelling at me, so if I understand correctly, my advise: Wait for the 2012 civic si to come out. Drive it and see if there's a big difference between the 09-11 model. If not try making a deal on the older model. The insight will have the best MPG's, but most boring to drive. The E46 is a great car, but will end up running big $$$ when things break and they WILL break. Other realistic alternatives would be an Altima, or the upcoming Subaru Impreza. The 2012 Impreza is said to get 30mpg and awd to boot.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Anuj, since you still have your S I think the best route might be to get the Civic EX which you mentioned above. It will give you ~38MPG on the highway (using regular unleaded) while maintaining the driveability of a petrol engine. The Si would be more fun, surely, but it sounds like you're after a greater degree of efficiency and the EX would slot you right between both attributes while using regular unleaded and possibly a lower cost to insure. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

anuj is the new davizzle, but with cars, not parts.

whatever you buy next you are just going to sell in 6 weeks anyway. you have car a.d.d.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 AM

I'd suggest a base model (lx or ex) civic, It'll be cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, cheaper insurance, better gas mileage than any of those cars you listed. Granted it's not much of a "fun" vehicle but it will be saving you money in the long run. I have a stock 05 civic, I pop the hood once every 5000 miles to change the oil and thats it, just fill it up and drive.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 AM

Dude don't sell the S. The e46 m3 is bad ass but I don't think its worth getting rid of your S for it. Keep the S get a civic or a cr-z if you want something fuel efficient.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Changed my mind. Sell the S and sell me your wheels.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say Mazda 3 S- Sport in a 6 speed manual. Very fun car to drive and own. Plus the incentives on the new ones are great. PM me with any questions as I do sell them.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 AM

SI's require premium gas. take that into consideration
Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Minis are a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Which car to get dilemma