New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Clutch Problems (Slave Cylinder?)

Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems (Slave Cylinder?)

So I took my car to class yesterday and the clutch was perfectly fine. About 6 hours later after work and the gym (located next door to my job) I came out and started my car. I immediately noticed the clutch had A LOT of play at the top of it. I drove it home and the clutch engaged perfectly fine, didn't slip out of gear at all. This leads me to believe the slave cylinder is the culprit. Oh I checked the fluid as well it seemed fine. Also i should note that it seemed like the clutch was engaging a little closer to the floor then usual. What do you guys think could be the issue?

Thanks for any and all input.

-John
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of clutch and other mods do you have? do you experience any rev dropping when you push the clutch in at idle?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Stock clutch all I have done to the car is exhaust and intake. The revs don't drop when I push the clutch in, they do drop when I start it and its all ready warm, but that's a different problem. I'm gonna try bleeding the fluid after class unfortunetly I have to drive it there. Hopefully I don't encounter any issues.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM

It's the CMC

Name:  Clutch.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  56.4 KB

It's leaking fluid
Guess i have new plans for Sunday
Old 02-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same issue over a year ago, Billman said its a common issue with our cars. He recommended I take the fluid out clean up the reservoir of any dirt and replace it with fresh fluid. Have been doing this on my and dads s2k for some time now every other oil change or so and it's been fine. Don't drop a ton of money now if you don't need to just for it to happen again. Keep your fluid fresh and clean and it should be good to go. PS mine does still drip a bit of fluid on the floor, but outside of replacing the cylinder I don't think there is a fix for it, it's never enough to do any damage though. Good luck man
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the input I did some searching and I'm gonna replace the fluid in an hour and see how it is. It's better then dropping money on a cmc if its not actually the issue.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 PM

I just flushed the fluid till it was clear then did a bleed I now have only about an inch of play at the top I'm assuming that's normal also the cmc didn't drip at all... Gonna take it for a drive and see if it drips but it seems like its all.good...how mug play do you guys typically have at the top
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM

I just flushed the fluid till it was clear then did a bleed I now have only about an inch of play at the top I'm assuming that's normal also the cmc didn't drip at all... Gonna take it for a drive and see if it drips but it seems like its all.good...how mug play do you guys typically have at the top
Old 02-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Took it for a drive clutch is awesome just catches a lot higher then it was so its gonna take a little bit of getting used to
Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the engagement point is adjustable to a certain degree.

there is a 12mm lock nut at the pedal and a rotating shaft. if you unlock the nut and rotate the shaft you can easily change the pedal height where engagement occurs. just make sure you still have play at the top of the pedal, or the clutch will never fully engage. also make sure it doesn't engage too low, of the clutch might not fully disengage.

there is a blurb about it in the service manual.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems (Slave Cylinder?)