New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Cruise Night to the Drive-In?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cruise Night to the Drive-In?

Believe it or not, there are still a couple of Drive-In Movie Theaters left on the east coast. I'm sure some of you know that there is a really nice one located upstate in Warwick NY.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with the area of Warwick, but simply getting to the drive-in is part of the fun. It consists mostly of nothing but twisty back-roads up & down through the mountains.

A couple of years ago, when the movie industry started making the switch to "digital", there were lots of drive-ins that had to call it quits, simply because they could not afford to spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars it was going to cost to upgrade from 35mm film to digital projection.

From what I've heard, even though the owners of the Warwick Drive-In were able to make the switch, keeping the drive-in alive, has become more of a "labor of love" than anything else. On top of that- all of the rainy weather we've had, has been really hard on them (no one wants to watch a movie with the windshield wipers on). If this place was to close down, it would really SUCK.

Anyways...my point is- Now that the summer weather is finally here, I was wondering if some of you guys would be down to attend a cruise out there? Maybe plan it for a weekend that has a really good movie playing?

Think about it...watching a movie under the stars, up in the mountains, in a little convertible roadster...that's a car-related event your significant other would actually want to attend with you!

Here's the link- http://warwickdrivein.com/
Old 05-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Being from the area and having been to this drive in plenty of times I'd say it's defiantly worth the trip but a few things to check on before you go:

-Make sure it hasn't rained for a few days at the least. There is always standing water and lots of mud to deal with.

-Call and ask if they cut the grass before you go. It can be wild sometimes lol

And last, bring cash to pay for everything.

A friend of mine made a documentary about drive-in movies on the east coast about 10 years ago and used them as his primary one. I'll see if I can dig it up
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by BradtheMachine
Being from the area and having been to this drive in plenty of times I'd say it's defiantly worth the trip but a few things to check on before you go:

-Make sure it hasn't rained for a few days at the least. There is always standing water and lots of mud to deal with.

-Call and ask if they cut the grass before you go. It can be wild sometimes lol

And last, bring cash to pay for everything.

A friend of mine made a documentary about drive-in movies on the east coast about 10 years ago and used them as his primary one. I'll see if I can dig it up
Thanks for chiming in.

It seems like some people are concerned with lowered cars being an issue. I've been going there for years and never had any problems. I used to go there in my '03 VW GTI which was basically on the ground and never had a problem.

Can you confirm that it shouldn't be an issue?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went on their Facebook page and all I could see were trucks and SUVs in the photos

If we could reserve the front row, that would be great. (Edit: maybe not...due to low sight lines)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Grilla
I went on their Facebook page and all I could see were trucks and SUVs in the photos

If we could reserve the front row, that would be great. (Edit: maybe not...due to low sight lines)
My guess is the reason you see mostly SUV's & Trucks, on their FB page, is probably beause they're trying to show that this is a place to take the entire family. LOL

SUV's & Trucks are required to park in the back row due to their size. If not, it would be like you sitting in a movie theater behind someone sporting an afro. It would suck. Also, people with SUV's like to park backwards, pop the hatch and sit in the bed. Can't do that parked in the front.

As far as reserving a row- that's not allowed. This is straight-up 1st come 1st serve.

Trust me, though...like I said- I've been going there for years and never had a problem. If my old "in-the-weeds" 69 firebird rolling on tiny 16" cragars didn't have an issue there, nor did my vw GTI that was slammed on it's belly, any lowered car should be perfectly fine.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Tim-
Trust me, though...like I said- I've been going there for years and never had a problem. If my old "in-the-weeds" 69 firebird rolling on tiny 16" cragars didn't have an issue there, nor did my vw GTI that was slammed on it's belly, any lowered car should be perfectly fine.
Sounds good. Something to talk about/plan on the Humpday meets

Old 05-20-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for sure.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like an awesome event. I wish I wasn't 2.5hrs away from Warwick...
Old 05-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Tim, make a thread with date and time and all the details. I'll go, I'm kinda far to, it's like an hour for me.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by -Tim-
Believe it or not, there are still a couple of Drive-In Movie Theaters left on the east coast. I'm sure some of you know that there is a really nice one located upstate in Warwick NY.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with the area of Warwick, but simply getting to the drive-in is part of the fun. It consists mostly of nothing but twisty back-roads up & down through the mountains.

A couple of years ago, when the movie industry started making the switch to "digital", there were lots of drive-ins that had to call it quits, simply because they could not afford to spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars it was going to cost to upgrade from 35mm film to digital projection.

From what I've heard, even though the owners of the Warwick Drive-In were able to make the switch, keeping the drive-in alive, has become more of a "labor of love" than anything else. On top of that- all of the rainy weather we've had, has been really hard on them (no one wants to watch a movie with the windshield wipers on). If this place was to close down, it would really SUCK.

Anyways...my point is- Now that the summer weather is finally here, I was wondering if some of you guys would be down to attend a cruise out there? Maybe plan it for a weekend that has a really good movie playing?

Think about it...watching a movie under the stars, up in the mountains, in a little convertible roadster...that's a car-related event your significant other would actually want to attend with you!

Here's the link- http://warwickdrivein.com/
I did this drive a bit modified with a couple of people last year (since I visit this area regularly since I live near) I have a route planned not going into the Warwick drive-in but driving towards it with a lot of twist and turns no cops etc etc. I do it every year with friends ending at the Winery (very good food/cider/wine). I'll post a picture of that event.

The Warwick drive-in I have done it numerouse times (a couple with my s) it is first come first serve and your S is more than adequate for the movie but a bit uncomfortable (in my opinion).

They also host some car events at the Warwick drive-in ive passed by one last summer.

And last but not least across the street on the corner is a Farmers market with an outdoor bar they made 2 years ago that should be open at night looked pretty cool in the day.

Quick Reply: Cruise Night to the Drive-In?