New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Driving Roads

Old 04-09-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Driving Roads

Just in case any of you are interested- Most of the roads in & around Harriman State Park are now open after being closed all winter. (Route 106, Lake Kanawauke / Lake Stahahe / Sterling Forest areas), and they are all in great shape.

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with those roads. If not- they're some of the curviest, fun, scenic roads around. Especially right now, since the trees are still bare, you can see around almost all corners and check for oncoming traffic, cyclists, hikers, etc.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know. What's the smokey bear situation like there? Is there a reasonable expectation of 'driving enjoyment' or will it be just another case of "driving while paranoid"?
--Enquiring minds...
Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by RexRacerX View Post
Good to know. What's the smokey bear situation like there? Is there a reasonable expectation of 'driving enjoyment' or will it be just another case of "driving while paranoid"?
--Enquiring minds...
Hmmm...not sure if by "smokey bear", you mean actual bears, or if that's slang for cops...so I guess I will comment on both. LOL

On the roads in the Harriman State Park area- you mostly have to keep an eye out for hikers and cyclists. I'm guessing early in the morning and late at night, is when you'd have to worry about hitting any deers or bears. I usually run the route once or twice just to make sure the roads are clear. Even then- I only tend to have a little fun with some spirited-driving....I don't go bat-shit crazy.

On Route 17 is where you have to worry about cops. The speed limit on that route can change from 55mph down to 30mph as your constantly entering & exiting towns. The cops seem to love to hang out right at the edge of town hoping to catch people who haven't slowed down yet. At night, I have seen actual bears on Route 17. I once came around a turn and had to slam on the brakes as a bear ran past the front of my car standing upright on its hind legs. Was a very weird thing to see.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 AM
bbp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

set up a drive
Old 04-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bbp View Post
set up a drive
I'm no good at that. My drives are spare of the moment things if I happen to somehow find a free couple hours to myself.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - good to know! That's crazy about the bear. While I am used to seeing deer (I live in Dutchess County - deer (and deer tick) capital of the country) I've never seen an actual bear on the road. A moose once - but no bears. Not that I am hoping to see one, either. Thanks for the reply.