New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

E-ZPass - do you even need the tag, or am I missing something ?

Old 04-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question E-ZPass - do you even need the tag, or am I missing something ?

Many toll areas I pass through on my way to CT from LI now have cameras with flash. I don't think these systems even have the tag sensors as they just take a pic of your plate, cross-reference your number with your E-ZPass account, and just bill you.

Now I've heard that even with the traditional E-Pass toll booths, if the sensor for some reason can't pick up your tag, it takes a photo of your plate, cross-references your number with your E-ZPass account and they bill you.

So then why would you need to have the tag with you in the car? First, it looks pretty tacky with that white thing attached to the inside of your windshield. And second, if I ever wanted to bring the tag along with me in another car (rental car, road trip in friend's car, etc), I don't have to worry about applying new adhesives when I reattach it to my windshield again.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:09 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Technically you don't need to have the tag in your car. I switched the tag out to my beater and forgot and drove the S through the midtown tunnel. It showed up on my bill anyway. So yes they will cross ref your plate number with the photo they take.
The following users liked this post:
s2kdriver80 (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a side-note - if you don't like the tacky EZ-Pass tag - just paint it black and change over to the hard, black velcro. It then blends in nicely with the surrounding area.
s2kdriver80 (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso
Technically you don't need to have the tag in your car. I switched the tag out to my beater and forgot and drove the S through the midtown tunnel. It showed up on my bill anyway. So yes they will cross ref your plate number with the photo they take.
Did you have to actually pass through an E-ZPass booth or was it just cameras flashing as you passed? If the latter, then I don't think they even have sensors that read your tag. They take photos, cross ref, then bill you. If the former, then I think your case suggests that indeed we don't need to have the tag in the car as the booth takes photos anyway. On a related note... then what's to stop a non-E-ZPass customer to drive through an E-ZPass booth if he wasn't in the mood to wait in the long cash line?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by RexRacerX
On a side-note - if you don't like the tacky EZ-Pass tag - just paint it black and change over to the hard, black velcro. It then blends in nicely with the surrounding area.
Good idea. When I first registered for E-ZPass, the packing slip that came with the tag stated "ivory" for the color of the tag, so I thought it implied there were other available colors.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can keep the tag in the secret compartment, the sensors they have on slow toll lanes never had a problem reading mine when it was in there.
JoePhotographer (04-15-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Did you have to actually pass through an E-ZPass booth or was it just cameras flashing as you passed? If the latter, then I don't think they even have sensors that read your tag. They take photos, cross ref, then bill you. If the former, then I think your case suggests that indeed we don't need to have the tag in the car as the booth takes photos anyway. On a related note... then what's to stop a non-E-ZPass customer to drive through an E-ZPass booth if he wasn't in the mood to wait in the long cash line?
It costs EZ pass money every time they have to cross reference plates. They have to hire people to perform this check. If you do it enough times, you'll get a letter in the mail saying you need to change out your EZ pass because it's not getting read properly. If not, they'll charge you X amount of dollars. This happened to me many years back. I'm guessing that policy is still in place.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

E-Zpass transponder can be painted or covered. Ours all came with a foil bag in case we had to transport them and not want the tolls to get charged. If I had all 4 of ours in one car the system would think all 4 cars made the trip! Security barriers do not spring up on the E-Zpass lanes if they don't detect a transponder. Not that I know of. Your tag will be photographed and you'll get a bill in the mail. Not at the E-Zpass discounted rate, however. Don't skip stopping at the checkpoint entering many Army bases, however.

Years ago there was (still is?) a toll road around Toronto (ON) that had no transponders and everyone got bills in the mail. System was flawed and I had one time I got an entry time but no exit detection. I know my car ain't still there.

My wife and daughter drive into downtown Richmond every work day with E-Zpass courtesy of "Daddy." Only one of the old booths on their route with the drop down arms. But these are typically smashed off early in the morning and even these can be rolled.

-- Chuck
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 285 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by coldfyre
You can keep the tag in the secret compartment, the sensors they have on slow toll lanes never had a problem reading mine when it was in there.
I've hit EZ Pass gates from OH to MA (specifically, OH, WV, PA, VA, NY and MA) and never had a problem with reading it while sitting in the secret compartment.

For me, it only gets occasionally use in VA (Richmond), the PA turnpike and the MA turnpike.