New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Front Licenses Plate

Old 11-04-2001, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derrick,

Instead of PM-ing you I figured I would post for all to read: I have the Mugen headers so I wouldn't worry if you don't have stock headers. I also don't think the exhaust systems matters a bit: I have a ton of engine/exhaust modifications that I thought would increase my SCed HP but did not. I have about the same HP as the rest of the "stock+SC" cars that are out there. If I had to do it again, I would NOT extrude/hone the intake manifold, ProFlow-bore the TB, no Mugen Headers, and no BYS cat straight pipe... which would have saved me $2300. The exhaust sounds good but I argue that it does nothing over stock... others say it adds 5-10 hp... whatever.

As for difficulties: my MAP sensor check/blow-off valve always sticks the first 3-4 times you drive over 4500rpm when the car is cold. Very annoying. I have gone between the check-valve and the "electronic Ghostbooster" sever times with the electronic solution MUCH more reliable. I also have a major 5000rpm resonance vibration from the plastic/CF airfilter box. I tried to isolate the bok from the body with rubber sheeting and rubber grommets on the hardware but it still makes noise. I also am on my second alternator bracket because the first one cracked. The second bracket has started to crack as well... Wait for the Vortech kit to come out and see if it has as much trouble before you get a Comptech kit.

Yes, I installed everything myself... SC, headers, exhaust, coilovers, stereo, etc... I did everything except for mouting the tires on the rims. The only special thing you need is a pulley-holder for the main crankshaft pulley... basically to hold the pully from turning the crank while you untorque the main bolt on the pulley. It is a long bar (for leverage) with a hexagonal key that fits into the main pulley to stabilize it. Casually installing it last winter took a week or two because most nights were cold in the garage (even with the heater) and I only worked an hour or two per evening. For an "experienced-amateur-backyard-mechanic" it should take one long Saturday to install.

I hope I haven't bored you!
Old 11-04-2001, 04:25 PM

OH!! Thank you so much Shaner, I think I will wait for the kit you just mentioned, I want it to be perfect... !! so, I will wait (actually, don't have money now, so I have to wait) and, I may sell my spoon header to get the DC header... since it won't help much after SCed, then, DC may be the one I want cuz it is lighter..!! so, you have to take out the airbox in case to install the SC...right?? so, after SC, what about the weight balance?? will the engine to be too heavy?
Old 11-04-2001, 04:34 PM

Are the "photo controled traffic lights" popping up in NY? In Southern California, the vile things seem to be popping up everywhere. I've heard rumors that police are cracking down on them more because of them (no license to photo). I have mine on so not affected.