New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Great article about Honda's motorsport withdrawl

Old 11-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Great article about Honda's motorsport withdrawl

Cypher09 forwarded me this....

Honda sends out a clear message: It's just not that into racing anymore.
October 24, 2009
by: Peter M. De Lorenzo

Honda CEO Takanobu Ito said last week that the decision to quit Formula One at the end of last year was essential for the company’s long-term survival. “[I have] no regrets,” he told the assembled media last week. “After our withdrawal, we’ve seen our team (Brawn GP) doing extremely well. The reason why I say this is because of all the efforts we put into the team prior to our withdrawal that led to this result,” Ito said.

Ito said the decision to quit F1 was made by his predecessor, Takeo Fukui, but that he agreed with it. “Just a year ago, Mr. Fakui made the decision to withdraw from Formula One racing and I think it was the correct decision,” Ito continued.

The company, according to Ito, will now devote all of its engineering talent and resources to coming up with advanced environmental solutions for its future production cars, a noble goal I might add, but certainly not the way the “old” Honda would have gone about its business. After all, this was the company that pioneered developing its young engineers through its racing programs, and then after seasoning them in some of the most fiercely competitive arenas in racing, would unleash them on developing future production cars. And it worked exceptionally well, with other car companies readily copying the Honda method as well.

But this is a different era now, as Ito explained, and his engineers will find plenty of challenges in trying to creatively execute its modern and environmentally efficient production cars of the future.

Wait a minute, is this the Honda Motor Company we’re talking about? The same company that went to the ends of the earth to prove its competitive mettle? The same company that lived for racing in all of its forms, from motorcycles to cars? The same company that would come up with brilliant solutions as a matter of course in its pursuit of victory?

No, it clearly isn’t. The combination of the global economic crisis and the fact that the Japanese government isn’t having nearly the success that it once enjoyed in its manipulation of the yen has decimated the Japanese manufacturers, more so Toyota than Honda, but you get the picture. And now Honda is going about justifying its existence in this new global economic order we’re living in by pulling back on the reins and turning inward for its technical inspiration.

And I have a huge problem with that rationale, because what Mr. Ito is describing suggests to me that Honda has actually turned away from the path of innovation and technical prowess, and that he actually believes that the challenges presented by the white-hot heat of competition can easily be duplicated in some sterile laboratory and that - not to worry - Honda will be just as successful in its business as ever.

We’ll see about that, because without racing - and without the attitude, talent and sheer will to win required to succeed in the sport - at what point does Honda cease being “Honda?” At what point does Honda - operating in Mr. Ito’s safe, “cocoon” mode - become that dreaded “me too” haven of mediocrity and horror of horrors, just another car company?

Let’s hope that Mr. Ito’s attitude about racing is indeed just a temporary phase for Honda, because if not, let’s just say that the forecast for the future direction - and success - of the company is mixed, at best.

(Peter M. De Lorenzo is a national columnist who founded Autoextremist.com, a highly-regarded website devoted to news, commentary and analysis of the auto industry. He is considered to be one of the most influential voices commenting on the business today.)
Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Soichiro is rolling over in his grave.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freq,Nov 11 2009, 03:13 PM

After all he said, "Without racing there is no Honda."

At least it looks like they're still in ALMS.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they killed their sportiest car to replace it with....

THIS.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freq,Nov 11 2009, 07:13 PM

At about 9k rpm. "Racing improves the breed" is truly dead.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gofast182,Nov 11 2009, 07:40 PM
At least it looks like they're still in ALMS.
Don't hold your breath on that one. HPD isn't going to provide any of the teams with factory level support next season. Duncan Dayton (Highcroft) wants to win Le Mans overall and the P1 Acura isn't capable of doing that. If you're going to pay customer prices & you already have Brabs on contract why not pick up a Pug (which according l'Equipe is doable) to and go to Le Mans with a shot at winning overall. on top of that rumor is Duncan is the North American buyer/collector of the Gulf liveried Lola Aston.

DeFerran is most likely going the IRL route, tho I'd love to be wrong about that one and Strakka already have Fernandez's old car at Misano testing 2010 spec Michelins

Most of the other P2 Acuras are headed to Europe to be raced by wealthy gentleman teams and Honda's official Italian tuner JAS with no further factory development and engine only lease deals. The P2 cars are going to be a hot commodity for independent teams when the 2011 rules come into play and Europe is were most of them are.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cypher09,Nov 12 2009, 03:52 PM
At about 9k rpm.
Beat me to it