New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

July 16 & 17 - S2000s at Watkins Glen with SCDA

Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

for more interest. If you're going to NYST with Brad or not, and you want to try a classic road course with 4 hours of track time over 2 days that will be flagged by SCCA trained corner workers and that will have instructors in the right seat at all times for Novice students and also make instructors available for Intermediate students (if they need one to get familiar with the track) - sign up and experience Watkins Glen.

The elevation changes and speeds are second to none and the only equivalent I'd draw is with Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium. There will be a photographer available and they also always have a data coach available for an extra fee for Int/Advanced drivers.

Some pictures to subliminally try and influence you guys of the great vistas at the track:

PGSS2k at Watkins Glen going down past the outer loop towards the Boot

Blueosprey90 going up the esses

NoDelta going around the off-camber Turn 9. Never lift here.

Brian headed to the Apex for Turn 1

Blueosprey90 being chased up the esses again

Getting some right seat feedback from S200059
Old 04-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

My *1 usually objects, but I tell her I'll be in the grave for a long time. Will be my 7th double track day with SCDA. Always a blast.

The Glen has a feel similar to VIR - which I don't think we can do in a stock S2000. Coming up the esses and blasting the corners in the bus stop is always thrilling.

A highlight film from when I took the MGA.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:46 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

^ Thanks for sharing that Jeff. Also those that will make it a weekend, will also get a chance to drive the old street course back when the racing happened on public streets and also get to hang out at the Seneca Lodge

Old 04-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be interested, but if PCA can do it for 350 for a 2 day event, why is this event almost double?

I don’t ever recall paying over 400 bucks for a 2 day event. VIR, Glen, Summit, etc.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
I would be interested, but if PCA can do it for 350 for a 2 day event, why is this event almost double?
I don’t ever recall paying over 400 bucks for a 2 day event. VIR, Glen, Summit, etc.
Am I missing something?
SCDA is a private organization that exists to make a profit. The clubs (PCA, BMWCCA & ACNA) are associations that comprise of volunteers, not paid employees. Their overheads are lower so they can price their events lower. What's more they'll even throw in free pizza.

I've never heard of a 2-day event at Watkins Glen costing $350 and I've been going there since 2009. I've never run with PCA and wasn't aware they were that cheap. If you are aware of a 2-day WGI event that only costs $350, please share that info with me. I'll sign up with you too.

Not sure if you're aware of the track repave at Watkins Glen. Since the repave last year, they've raised track rental fees to the point where some of the clubs I run with are actually breaking even or losing money. The SCDA events too went up in cost from costing around $500 to where they are now.

The only reason, I share this here is because SCDA is one of the S2000 friendly groups. It was started by Bill Prout who designed the curriculum for the Skip Barber school back when it started, eventually passing on to his son Ian and his sons partner, Elivan. Since the last 6 years, they have been encouraging of the group coming out there and have offered a discount. They run a great event that offers 2 hours of track time per day. The only other group that offers more, is Chin Motorsports and they are priced around the same as well.

I understand cost is a concern for many people and that's fair. With the popularity of the sport, there are plenty of options out there. However if you want to get plenty of seat time at Watkins Glen, learn the track like the back of your hand, get pro tips on the line from PWC champion, Elivan on the track walk, and drive in the company of some quick S2000 drivers, then this may be a good event for you.

if you have anymore questions let me know. Otherwise, I hope you can make it.

Last edited by A 2; 04-08-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I run with SCDA out of loyalty. They were the first group that welcomed me in a stock S2000 without a lot of hoopla - when everyone else seemed to have some reason not to let the S2000 run without a roll bar or OEM hardtop or a big deal over the broomstick test. Their response was essentially "Oh, sure!"

On top of all of that, I've stereotyped Porsche drivers in a negative way. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks not to run with them.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by A 2

SCDA is a private organization that exists to make a profit. The clubs (PCA, BMWCCA & ACNA) are associations that comprise of volunteers, not paid employees. Their overheads are lower so they can price their events lower. What's more they'll even throw in free pizza.

I've never heard of a 2-day event at Watkins Glen costing $350 and I've been going there since 2009. I've never run with PCA and wasn't aware they were that cheap. If you are aware of a 2-day WGI event that only costs $350, please share that info with me. I'll sign up with you too.

Not sure if you're aware of the track repave at Watkins Glen. Since the repave last year, they've raised track rental fees to the point where some of the clubs I run with are actually breaking even or losing money. The SCDA events too went up in cost from costing around $500 to where they are now.

The only reason, I share this here is because SCDA is one of the S2000 friendly groups. It was started by Bill Prout who designed the curriculum for the Skip Barber school back when it started, eventually passing on to his son Ian and his sons partner, Elivan. Since the last 6 years, they have been encouraging of the group coming out there and have offered a discount. They run a great event that offers 2 hours of track time per day. The only other group that offers more, is Chin Motorsports and they are priced around the same as well.

I understand cost is a concern for many people and that's fair. With the popularity of the sport, there are plenty of options out there. However if you want to get plenty of seat time at Watkins Glen, learn the track like the back of your hand, get pro tips on the line from PWC champion, Elivan on the track walk, and drive in the company of some quick S2000 drivers, then this may be a good event for you.

if you have anymore questions let me know. Otherwise, I hope you can make it.

Thanks for the clarification. Now it makes sense. I think you are correct on cost, it’s just so expensive.

A few of us decided to do the PCA event the Saturday and Sunday at the Glen after the NYST event since we are already up there. At $365 bucks, it was a no brainer! I have a buddy that’s a director for SCCA and he says that cost on a track event really makes or breaks a lot of sign ups.

On another note, it’s a shame you couldn’t sign up for NYST! It’s going to be a great time.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I run with SCDA out of loyalty. They were the first group that welcomed me in a stock S2000 without a lot of hoopla - when everyone else seemed to have some reason not to let the S2000 run without a roll bar or OEM hardtop or a big deal over the broomstick test. Their response was essentially "Oh, sure!"

On top of all of that, I've stereotyped Porsche drivers in a negative way. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks not to run with them.

Haha, I’m a Porsche guy... but also a Honda guy, Chevy guy, Dodge guy, etc. I don’t hold any stereo types concerning cars unless it a stance scene. Hahaha.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
Thanks for the clarification. Now it makes sense. I think you are correct on cost, it’s just so expensive.

A few of us decided to do the PCA event the Saturday and Sunday at the Glen after the NYST event since we are already up there. At $365 bucks, it was a no brainer! I have a buddy that’s a director for SCCA and he says that cost on a track event really makes or breaks a lot of sign ups.

On another note, it’s a shame you couldn’t sign up for NYST! It’s going to be a great time.
$365 for two days is a great deal and the PCA education is good too. I wouldn't walk away from that.

The advantage SCDA offers is fewer run groups and four 30 minute sessions on track per day. It's a much cosier and a familial type of environment and they make sure that anyone that shows up gets their moneys worth and leaves with a smile on their face. You are treated as a customer and do not have to deal with egos and personalities as can sometimes happen with clubs. This brings them a lot of repeat business and is part of the reason they run over 30 events a season, but I digress.

I've been to NYST a few times the year they opened. They're about the same distance for me as Lime Rock. With Palmer and Lime Rock close enough I haven't had the desire to drive NYST and with plans to run with SCDA, BMWCCA and EMRA this season, I just don't have the time to commit to taking a day off for this. I am sure you guys will have a grand time, but if any of you want a crack at the Glen, definitely keep the July SCDA event in mind. I guarantee you will like it.

Last edited by A 2; 04-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:21 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Any more takers? We are about two months away from the event.

Quick Reply: July 16 & 17 - S2000s at Watkins Glen with SCDA