New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

NNJ Inspection Station?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default NNJ Inspection Station?

Whats up, everyone. This past weekend, at the Bear Mtn Run, one of you (sorry, dude..i'm bad with names!), pointed out that I was missing something on my windshield.

Somehow, I had completely forgotten that I never got my car inspected! I've been driving around since November without an inspection sticker on my car.

Rather than waste an entire day at a DMV Inspection Station, I was wondering if any of you can recommend a shop that performs inspections?

I am in NNJ...Nutley, to be exact. But I don't mind driving if I know my car will be treated right. Don't want some Joe Schmoe putting my car on a lift.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tim,

Any reason you don't want to have it done at the MVC? I go to the one in Wayne (46-W) and it's been pretty painless. They just check for codes and drive through, no need to lift the car. Best of all it's free!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Grilla
Hey Tim,

Any reason you don't want to have it done at the MVC? I go to the one in Wayne (46-W) and it's been pretty painless. They just check for codes and drive through, no need to lift the car. Best of all it's free!

Really? I guess in NY (Im new to NJ) its done differently. Every time I've had a car inspected in the past, they put it on a lift. I always assumed they wanted to look to see if I had a cat or something.

Perfect. Thanks for the info. That one in Wayne is really close to me. Thanks again...I guess I'll just go there.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah man, they have floor cameras for that. The signage sucks so it's a little confusing on your first visit, but go through the gate with a ticket dispenser. Give the ticket along with your NJ license and registration to the tech...you should be out in about 5 mins (if the guy knows where to find the OBDII port haha)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

is the car bone stock?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grilla
Yeah man, they have floor cameras for that. The signage sucks so it's a little confusing on your first visit, but go through the gate with a ticket dispenser. Give the ticket along with your NJ license and registration to the tech...you should be out in about 5 mins (if the guy knows where to find the OBDII port haha)
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Going to head over there Saturday morning, nice & early.

@dedonderosa...yup, bone-stock. Plans are a c.a.i, (simply because I love the induction-sound these cars make) and a good set up tires. Other than that, try to keep it as is.

Of course I've said that about every car I've ever owned and doesn't quite happen.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

You have to be a junior high school gymnast to access the OBD2 port on my '06!

Fortunately we only have this check in a few counties in Ohio and there are self service Kiosks where it can be done 24 hours a day. If you can plug in! I don't need it where I'm registered but it's a good test of the system.

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tim,
I live in fort lee and have had pretty good luck just going to the Secaucus inspection center. It takes literally 15-20 mins in NJ cause they don't actually do an inspection. All they do is roll you car over an in ground camera to make sure have a cat and then plug into your ecu to make sure you don't have any CEL's on. That's it. NY does full inspections and will fail you for everything. My girl lives in the Bronx and they failed her for worn wipers lol Jersey doesn't give too shits if your car doesn't have brake lights or brakes at that lol as long as you have a cat and no cel's your good but best of all its freeeee lol I believe there's one in lodi as well but never been there

Best Regards
Rosario717
Old 05-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
Hey Tim,
I live in fort lee and have had pretty good luck just going to the Secaucus inspection center. It takes literally 15-20 mins in NJ cause they don't actually do an inspection. All they do is roll you car over an in ground camera to make sure have a cat and then plug into your ecu to make sure you don't have any CEL's on. That's it. NY does full inspections and will fail you for everything. My girl lives in the Bronx and they failed her for worn wipers lol Jersey doesn't give too shits if your car doesn't have brake lights or brakes at that lol as long as you have a cat and no cel's your good but best of all its freeeee lol I believe there's one in lodi as well but never been there

Best Regards
Rosario717
Yea the one MVC in Lodi has one. I just go to the one in Paramus. It even has a 24/7 camera that lets you see if there is a long line. Not sure if all have that.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Location/Essex.htm

OP here are the list on MVC locations in NJ based on the county you live in. You have to make sure there is an inspection station. Each location has a a list of services they provide. In this case the Newark location can do the inspection for you.

As previously stated. NJ inspections are free. NEVER pay at a random shop.