New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

S2000 track day thoughts, NJMP Lightning with NASANE

Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S2000 track day thoughts, NJMP Lightning with NASANE

*Important caveat to what follows: by no means am I a great driver as this is all relative to the group I was in*

After running NJMP with NASANE yesterday I was reminded of why our cars are special and why every owner should experience them on the track.
I've had track experience at the Pocono North Course and am fairly quick around it *for a novice* but I was nervous going to an unfamiliar, faster, more technical track with a group that wasn't centered around the S2000; in fact my instructor had never driven or even ridden in an S2000 before. Despite being nervous, after the first two sessions I learned the line and my instructor gave me the pointers needed to really start gaining speed. He began to comment on how awesome the S2000 engine sounds and how he was impressed by the car in general. So as we gained speed, me and my S2000, whose only mod. is Carbotech track pads, were getting point-bys from a fellow S2000, an EVO, a STI, a C5 Vette, and a CTS-V, among several others (refer to caveat). What a great feeling it is to pass these machines and to think that it's being done in a seemingly modest, 95% stock, open-top car that's 7 years old and down on horsepower to many on the previous list. What's more is there are no typical mechanical failures to worry about, maintenance is easy, and I drove it 110 miles each way to and from the track.
All of this speaks volumes to the passion and precision that Honda put into the engineering of our cars; how well the engine, trans, and chassis all work together as one to make this unlikely star still gain respect in 2013 and so gratifying on the track for its driver.

If that wasn't enough my buddy John (jfo) won the main race of the day in his S2000 racecar after a great battle with a BMW.

So because of this I'm reminded why our cars are special and hope more owners will participate in track events which puts all of these virtues on display within our community and for others who aren't aware of the S2000.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was great running with you and the other s2ks this past weekend...I couldn't agree more about the s2k; my instructor was very impressed with the car as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

damnit i missed out. def in for the next one, the car should be ready for a track day. i just recently started to get into racing the s2000 and man its exhilarating. i started auto cross last month and have been to 2 events. man what an amazing feeling, although the speeds being reached is not as high as you would get in a bigger track like that, the skills i learned from the 2 events was life altering. our cars stock is plenty fast, my friend showed up with me and we were both blown away. just a few years back the sport was dominated by miatas, now its S2000's. if you havent given it a go, i suggest you do so. everyone there is very helpful, i dont know what skill level you have in driving but this will def teach you quite a bit.

please keep me posted on the next event you attend. you got my word ill be in the next one.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

s2ks are definitely great track cars! There are not too many cars out there that you can run hard all day & drive home without issue.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
s2ks are definitely great track cars! There are not too many cars out there that you can run hard all day & drive home without issue.
And Lightning is a great track for this car, too!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by gofast182
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup' timestamp='1366654203' post='22490698
And Lightning is a great track for this car, too!

Yeah it is.

Your first post was well put.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts