New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

SCDA Lime Rock HPDE Day - Noise Question

Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

SCDA is very stock S2000 friendly and I've run my car with them at Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Palmer, Thompson and New Hampshire. I probably don't pass the broomstick test, but I run with the top up and the broomstick has not been an issue for me. When I've seen the issue come up, it has been someone from the track, not SCDA, that raised the issue on a driver running an open car.

I don't think VIR will allow a stock S2000 even if the event is sponsored by SCDA, but you should contact Elivan at SCDA for confirmation. I'm also unsure about the tracks at New Jersey Motor Sports Park.

You might try to contact Jake at jsenclosure on the Upstate Boards to see if he might have a stock exhaust. Look in the buy/sell thread for his contact info.

The sound issue at Lime Rock is a conundrum. When they test for sound, it can be anywhere. The back (No Name) straight has been used. My MGA runs at 95dB at fifty feet with a side pipe pointing out the driver's side. I've never been pulled in for sound. But by the same token, I have also seen people who have been pulled in. They will usually give you one chance to fix.
The following users liked this post:
RAP1D (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 146 Likes on 133 Posts

The noise restrictions at LRP are because of the damn neighbors, the track wouldn't put these type of restrictions on themselves if they didn't have to.

LRP only gets so many days "unmuffled" and therefore those days carry a premium price.

Think IMSA......

Last edited by freq; 02-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.
RAP1D (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
SCDA is very stock S2000 friendly and I've run my car with them at Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Palmer, Thompson and New Hampshire. I probably don't pass the broomstick test, but I run with the top up and the broomstick has not been an issue for me. When I've seen the issue come up, it has been someone from the track, not SCDA, that raised the issue on a driver running an open car.

I don't think VIR will allow a stock S2000 even if the event is sponsored by SCDA, but you should contact Elivan at SCDA for confirmation. I'm also unsure about the tracks at New Jersey Motor Sports Park.

You might try to contact Jake at jsenclosure on the Upstate Boards to see if he might have a stock exhaust. Look in the buy/sell thread for his contact info.

The sound issue at Lime Rock is a conundrum. When they test for sound, it can be anywhere. The back (No Name) straight has been used. My MGA runs at 95dB at fifty feet with a side pipe pointing out the driver's side. I've never been pulled in for sound. But by the same token, I have also seen people who have been pulled in. They will usually give you one chance to fix.
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed response! I intend on running all of the tracks you listed with SCDA this year.

I emailed Elivan last week and I got the ok to run with my hardtop, provided I pass the broomstick test. Wether that test actually occurs or not is another story. I also believe he was referring specifically to Lime Rock, I'll have to ask again about VIR and NJMP.

As for the exhaust, I reached out to the previous owner this morning, and he retained the stock exhaust and wheels after he sold the car to me. I went to his house this afternoon, and picked up a great stock exhaust, and a very clean set of AP1 wheels for free!

My girlfriend will be coming up to Lime Rock to spectate with some friends, so I plan on sticking the stock exhaust in their SUV (it fits, just barely), and swapping it out between sessions if I get flagged.

Originally Posted by freq View Post
The noise restrictions at LRP are because of the damn neighbors, the track wouldn't put these type of restrictions on themselves if they didn't have to.

LRP only gets so many days "unmuffled" and therefore those days carry a premium price.

Think IMSA......
It's such a bummer. While I understand the track is ancient and people have lived nearby forever... I can't imagine moving near a race track and getting upset about the sound. To each their own I guess.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:33 AM

Received 261 Likes on 205 Posts

I was there with a guy with a bmw who woundnt pass, he wired soda cans to the muffler and passed.
RAP1D (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250 View Post
I was there with a guy with a bmw who woundnt pass, he wired soda cans to the muffler and passed.
I saw something similar! Except they JB welded the can into their exhaust tip.

By the way, for anyone interested I found a day with Hooked On Driving that is unrestricted. Link below!

https://www.hookedondriving.com/even...STRICTIONS_!!!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 146 Likes on 133 Posts

Here is a link to a NASA NE event at Lime Rock Park that will also be unmuffled.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/3015
Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by freq View Post
Here is a link to a NASA NE event at Lime Rock Park that will also be unmuffled.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/3015
Fantastic! Thank you
Old 02-27-2019, 01:04 PM
A 2

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

Lime Rock doesn't announce from where they'll measure noise or from what distance. Your best bet is the stock exhaust or choosing an unmuffled day. Your decibel level will depend on where you are on track, what speed you are at, what gear you are in, weather and a whole host of other factors. A lot of other tracks in the northeast have noise restrictions as well which is why I've decided to just stay stock with the exhaust. I am not racing the car, I'm just a DE driver. So, I like the convenience of running without worrying about getting black flagged for noise. YMMV.

Another point to keep in mind. Decibel level varies based on the day. An SCDA event on a Monday could have an 87dbl limit, but a BMW CCA event the Saturday prior may be restricted to just 83dbl. A majority of the unmuffled days are set aside for the sanctioning orgs like the SCCA and NASA.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 PM

I went to an event at Lime Rock about 5 years ago and I couldn't believe all of the devices people had on their cars to avoid the sound police. I've never seen anything like it since. Unfortunately, I can't remember who was sponsoring the event. Lots of people had curved tips to direct the exhaust down. Some had dual tips (on one pipe) to split the direction of the exhaust. One guy had bolted an extra muffler to the rear of the car above the bumper but below the trunk lid.

Some people had devices like this. This is described by the British guy as a large dogfood tin, wire wool wadding and a jubilee clip, but you get the idea. He claims that it reduced his dB level from 99 dB to 94 dB and did not seem to diminish horsepower.

You might want to bolt this on or safety wire it to the car so it doesn't blow off into the car behind.

For my MGA, I do bring two different devices to the track in case I get nabbed. But both reduce power substantially. Fortunately, I've never had to use them except in testing.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:48 PM

Here's another not so practical option.

Quick Reply: SCDA Lime Rock HPDE Day - Noise Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands