New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

School me on a Subaru STI

Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default School me on a Subaru STI

Looking for an '06 and up. Possibly an '08 hatch.

What to look for when buying one? Any specific problem on a particular year?
Does anyone know a reputable Subaru salesman?

Any info is appreciated.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just IMO...

Do not get any '07+ STi. There is a high possiblity of ringland issues that can cauase piston #4 to pop. By far, the '08s are the worst year. Subaru even had a stop sale when all the '08 failures occured. I traded in my '11 STi becuase of fear of the ringland issue. I didn't want the engine to blow and denied warranty. Please note, the ringland issue happens to stock or modified '07+ STi. For whatever reason, the '04-'06 does not suffer the same fate.

I'd skip the STi and get the Evo. The Evo is superior in every performance category - phenomenal handling, faster steering, and responds better to power mods. Only downside is cargo room / trunk space is lacking.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a legacy GT instead! It's so pimP
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn Clyde I've been researching STIs for a bit now. I was only considering 06-07 or 11+ STIs and have never come upon such big issues. Also I've noticed how much of a better deal you can get on an evo IX or even new EvoX. Makes you think twice about subarus legendary reliability.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've personally had 4 friends who had STI's and once they started upgrading they popped. All were older like the 05 body style. I've also had a friend blow up an older style evo. If I had to choose one to get it would be the evo. I personally hate riding in STI's atleast the older ones because of the suspension, its loud and sounds broke to me.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Initially searched for the 06 STI but most of them are modded to death or overpriced as stock.

I opted for the 2011 STI hatch. Currently at 11k miles, bolt-ons and EFI Logics tune. No issues so far.
It appears proper break-in and tune is crucial to the 07+ STI blocks.

I agree with Clyde with his praise for the Evo in terms of the performance edge and response to power add-ons; however, there's something about the STI's imperfection that becomes part of the charm. Plus, cops don't mind the rumble coming out of a family car without an airplane wing.

Over a 3 year span, a bunch of friends and I have picked up our Subarus at Multi Subaru on RT22 West so I would recommend this dealer to you.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM

The best years, I think, are the 05-07.

The reason I say this is because the 04s did not come with immobilizer. In 05 they introduced the immobilizer and in 2006 they had the facelift. Even before the 08s, all STI motors are prone to ring land issues, yet the newer ones seem to suffer more for some reason. I still have had plenty of friends with STIs, including 05 and 06s that had ring land problems and either decided to get a new motor or build the one they had.

Also, the minute you start messing with the car, things such as intake and BOV, you run a high risk. What happens is that in between shifts, the car runs extremely rich. When the computer compensates for it, you will get a lean mixture. The Subaru always preach never to do these mods for "sound" purposes because it can decrease the life of your motor. Only until you need them, which is usually over 20psi. The boost pressure needed to switch to a bov will most likely exceed the limitations of the stock turbo anyway.

I personally love the 05s but the 06-07 can be had for almost the same money with probably the same amount or less amount of miles. Either way, those are the best years they came in.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM

So are the issues base on mods, and if the car to be left alone, maybe a tune, the motor should stay strong? Makes a huge difference when looked for a used one. If you see mods then run. Evo 9s are just so much cheaper than STIs it doesn't make sense.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obknockshoes
Initially searched for the 06 STI but most of them are modded to death or overpriced as stock.

I opted for the 2011 STI hatch. Currently at 11k miles, bolt-ons and EFI Logics tune. No issues so far.
It appears proper break-in and tune is crucial to the 07+ STI blocks.

I agree with Clyde with his praise for the Evo in terms of the performance edge and response to power add-ons; however, there's something about the STI's imperfection that becomes part of the charm. Plus, cops don't mind the rumble coming out of a family car without an airplane wing.

Over a 3 year span, a bunch of friends and I have picked up our Subarus at Multi Subaru on RT22 West so I would recommend this dealer to you.
The STi definitely has some charm. There are a lot of things I miss about the STi. Specifically the cup holders, big trunk w/ folding rear seats, integrated roof rack, and the boxer rumble.

Originally Posted by SvkBBS2k
So are the issues base on mods, and if the car to be left alone, maybe a tune, the motor should stay strong? Makes a huge difference when looked for a used one. If you see mods then run. Evo 9s are just so much cheaper than STIs it doesn't make sense.
It doesn't matter if it's stock, pro-tuned, or lightly/heavily modified STi, they all can have ringland failure. The STi does hold its value very well. For example, I traded my '11 STi sedan for $31k. That's a good price for a trade in!!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Oh man, coming from first hand experience. How's the evo been treating you? Any major/minor issues?

Quick Reply: School me on a Subaru STI