New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Sernio's Autobody-A bunch of crooks

Old 12-13-2007, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sernio's Autobody-A bunch of crooks

Well as some of you know my car was vandalized in Union city on Thanksgiving week.Due to my situation I was forced to give my car to a shop that looked decent at the time.So after a couple of weeks of working on my car they(Sernio's autobody Jersey city) called me to come pick it up so my aunt went to pick it up as I am at school in Ann Arbor,MI.
She goes there and sees that they have put completely worn out seats(worth<$500) and charged $3000 for them . Also the gauge cluster they put in has 40000 miles on it and my car has 14771 miles.This pissed my aunt off so she starts shouting at them.After a lot of arguing(At one point they told her these were the only seats available in the whole county ) they tell her the next day that they have ordered a new gauge cluster and that they will waive the deductible if she takes the car with the current seats.She told them that they can take their offer and do you know what with it and told them that she wants seats in good conditions which fit the mileage of the car.OH! and when I called them I was not offered this deal.I then called the insurance people and their guy is going over today to have a look at the seats.Lets see what happens next.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to warn you guys.
I wish the situation had allowed me to take the car to Ulrich's.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

damn that sux. shady bodyshops ftl.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt the insurance company just supposed to cut you a check and you decide where you take the car????

i know in the past i have gotten checks for accidents and i took my car to my body shop of choice
Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think certain insurance companies deal with certain shops, but to my past experience i was able to take my car anywhere and the insurance company took it from there. sorry to hear man, hopefully everything works out for the best for you. good luck
Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 AM

Well I am not the title holder so I will not get the check in hand and since I am not from this area so I just took it to the option that looked the best to me at the time.They are a listed shop for all the major insurance companies.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 AM

I am an appraiser and you have the option to bring the vehicle wherever you want, or not fix it at all. No one has the right to force you to bring the car anywhere. As far as the odometer goes, they owe you one that has your mileage on it.. The adjuster should make an allowance for additonal labor to have the new odometer programmed to refelct your actual mileage. They also owe you seats that are either in comparable condition or newer than what was in the car. If they cannot find decent used seats, they must replace them with new ones. Remember, this is why you have insurance. Hope this helps

Joe
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM

Even though you arent the title holder (lien on vehicle), you can still ge the check in your name, but the lien holder will be on the check as a co-payee, so you'll have to get it double endorsed, and the lienholder, will want to see that repairs were completed, because your car is an insurable interest to them. You must have signed a direction of payment to allow the check to be paid directly to the shop for convienence purposes.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay yO,Dec 13 2007, 11:58 AM
i think certain insurance companies deal with certain shops, but to my past experience i was able to take my car anywhere and the insurance company took it from there.
That is true but....
U CAN GET UR CAR FIXED IN ANY REPAIR SHOP THAT U LIKE. ......NYS law

Your insurance company is supposed to check with you if you are satisfied before they cut the shop a check for his work. If you're not satisfied then guess what he doesn't get paid!
If insurance cut you a check you should never pay in full until the work is done to your satisfaction. Paying for just the parts up front is a good offer to a reputable shop.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

People remember the situation. He was visiting from out of town. I'm sure not being local, with his normal resources available to him and not knowing anything about anything around here played roles in the decision making factor. I don't know that he's covered by NYS law since the incident happened in NJ, and I'm guessing his car is registered in Michigan.

GTR - It's truly unfortunate what's happened. Hopefully your insurance company and their inspector will go to bat for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 AM

damn i am sorry to hear that...i like what talontid said i think you should use his advice

Quick Reply: Sernio's Autobody-A bunch of crooks