New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Speakers

Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Speakers

sup metro
Ok heres the question i wanna replace my componet speakers what speakers do you guys recomend i want a decent sound. right now everything is stock audio wise xcept the head unit. So what do you guys recommened?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I upgraded mine to some apline speakers and they sound way better.

Keep in mind that accustics is not a strength in the S. IMHO .. dont go to high quality. A descent set of components with a clear midrange should be nice. That way you can always ad a sub in the trunk if you want something a little stronger in the low notes.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im wondering the same thing.. mine came with Boston acoustics, but I havent taken off the door panel to verify. I got an alpine 4 channel amp that I need to hook up to them. If thats not enough I will get components.

The biggest problem with the speakers , at least on the '00 model, is location. My leg blocks half THE SOUND MOST of the time. Its like having a second volume knob hhaha
Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I got some infinity kappa components and I like the sound. Not a top of the line speaker really but pretty good. I have them powered by a 4 channel amp as well.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 PM

First, you deff need a good amp to power some components. I would go with JL amps, they are my favorite.

Every speaker is different and will reproduce the sound in a different way. Dynamat is your friend on the doors, as well as a small sub in the trunk. Don't try and have the component speakers try and reproduce large amounts of bass....it won't work out very well.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 PM

^^^ good advice. It just adds some pounds
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an amp, component type x speakers, a sub, and pioneer premier HU. The sound is good, but it's missing mid-range and that suround type sound that I'm used to from car's that have speakers in the rear. I would start with an amp and upgraded components, see how you like that. You can always add on to that. I'm thinking I may try to go with a 3 piece component set and buid a custom mount in the door or just get a 2nd amp and additional speakers for the back....oh yea and dynamat!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM

I just spent a couple weeks doing intensive research on upgrading the speakers in my car. If you plan to run an amp then one of the best sets of components you can get on any sort of budget are the PPI 356cs. They are pretty much rebranded a/d/s speakers which used to sell for much higher, but they have been getting rave reviews across the board. There is a thread here http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/hot-de...p-must-buy.html in which many people installed them and gave more than favorable reviews. One member even compared them to a set of $600 components he ran previously. The best part is they can be had for $120 shipped.

As far as amplifiers go there are many to choose from, it really depends on where you want to go with your setup.

If you want more info on trying to build a decent audio setup then I would recommend sending a PM to philbert. He is one of the more knowledgeable members in the Electronics forum, and on top of that he is one hell of a nice guy. He helped me out a ton.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah I really don't like the bass coming from the components. I set them to only give mid and treble from the tweets and all the bass from the sub in the trunk. Sounds much better that way. Otherwise the speakers just sound kinda sloppy and not crisp at all. Gotta really crank them up too to get loud sounding bass out of them.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 AM

If you don't want two amps (to keep weight down) a JL 450/4 can be used to power the front components, then bridge the rear channel to power the sub.

Also, IKEsound has some killer deals on components. I bought 4 sets of components there for two of my cars.

Quick Reply: Speakers