New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

tailgating

Old 05-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Even if you don't do a literal brake check, just tapping pedal enough to flash brake light a few times is enough to set off a tailgater into road rage. Somehow the hazard flashers don't push peoples buttons and they tend to back down calmly.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hand banana
my buddy used to have a 2000 acura integra that was slammed and loud, drew too much attention and people would always speed right up behind him

He took the rear wiper off and we found out if you flipped the rear window spray nozzle 180 degrees, it would shoot an arc of wiper fluid into the air and land perfectly on a tailgators windshield

It was hysterical, encountered some serious road rage on the garden state parkway heading back to ny one weekend, the other party wasnt a fan
Hmmm--- This story sounds awfully familiar.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
When I was younger, before anyone had cell phones, I had a gold Saturn tailgating me. I was driving my Chevy LUV pickup truck. Sped up, he stayed behind me. Moved over, stayed behind me. I even pulled over, he also did. At this point I knew he was looking for trouble. Got back out on the road, about 45mph. He was so close, almost touching cars. I kept my eyes on his eyes, waiting for him to look away. I saw him look to the side, and I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could. He smashed into me and under me, sending the back of the truck into the air. I landed, and continued to drive. The Saturn sat there totaled, with fluids gushing everywhere. He got out yelling, with his big mighty double middle fingers. I drove home happy, with nothing but gold paint on the heavy steel bumper, and the dif.

I gave him more than enough chances.

sooo, it was you that totaled my gold Saturn, you foker!!!

One time I still remember this years later. I was doing 75 Mph as if I wasn't going fast already. Middle lane, mind you. 2 other lanes clear. This dude keeps tailgating me. I pressed on brakes lightly to let him know to back off. Twice, that was. So he resumes tailgating again. So 3 times is a charm. I waited for him to get closer and I stomped on my brakes down to 30 Mph. I don't know how this dude managed to not hit my car. What I did see was the many faces he made trying to slow his car down. It was hilarious. He backed off and stayed back till I got off exit 10 min later.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I've been known to accidentally slip just off onto the shoulder where there's gravel and accidentally showering what's tail gating me with little stones. Seems to do the trick. Problem here in Virginia is there is no shoulder. Just the white line and the trees.

Had a 13 foot kayak in the back of my Expedition today. 8 feet inside, 5 feet outside. Yep they were tailgating the sharp rudder too.

-- Chuck
Old 05-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've been known to accidentally slip just off onto the shoulder where there's gravel and accidentally showering what's tail gating me with little stones. Seems to do the trick. Problem here in Virginia is there is no shoulder. Just the white line and the trees.

Had a 13 foot kayak in the back of my Expedition today. 8 feet inside, 5 feet outside. Yep they were tailgating the sharp rudder too.

-- Chuck
That's brilliant. I'm gonna try this
Old 05-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Having lived on both coasts, I've realized tailgating is a nationwide epidemic. I will just pull over if I'm not on the highway, let them get the ticket. I also like to wave at road raging tailgaters, this confuses and enrages them even more than giving the finger
Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

One thing we haven't mentioned is some of the root causes of tailgating.

Because there are so many clueless drivers that don't move over when they can and should, or egotistical drivers that feel no one should ever drive faster than they are, people resort to tailgating such ones in hopes they either speed up or move over.

Then that pattern repeats so often, tailgating becomes a habit. Becomes the norm. People stop realizing they are doing it, or realizing when it couldn't possibly provide a useful outcome (when the other driver has no where to go, etc).

A root cause of prolific tailgating isn't so much the reckless idiots, but rather the clueless idiots. The ones too stupid, or too stubborn, too prideful, to move over for faster traffic.

If everyone made it a priority to never be in others way, tailgating wouldn't be able to become a habit. The real fix isn't to try and stop tailgating behavior, its to stop roadblocking behavior.