New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Track Days 2017

Old 12-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track Days 2017

Hey Guys! Im pretty new to the forums here and the S2000, I have done plenty of track days in other cars but wanted to get a nice build together for this coming year to have some fun.. i had a couple questions for us tri state guys.
1. What groups do you guys run in? (i will have a slightly modified s2000)
-Ohlin DFV
-Wheels/Tires
-Exhaust / TP / flashpro / Tune
-Some upgraded bushings / Ball joints

I wanted to go light on the modding this coming season to learn this car a bit better before going all out.

2. Seems like the popular options are Nasa and SCDA? is there any others you guys recommend?

3. Haven't grabbed my helmet out of storage yet, but i have not raced with a Vert yet so i don't know if i pass the broomstick test (5'11)
- Will i need a hardtop?
-Will i need a Rollbar?
-Can i run stock?

i know some of these questions might be answered already but just figured id ask in one bunch, get to know some of you guys, and hopefully get some good advice about driving the s2k on the track

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should checkout Englishtown Raceway Park's road course. I'm a regular there and have been going for many years. It's a real grassroots track with a lot of novice track enthusiasts starting out. It's a short track, low speed, technical, and focuses on weight transfers and being smooth so it'll teach some good habits. It's affordable and relaxed compared to other strict and very structured organizers.

You can run an S2000 without hardtop and without a rollbar. Try to pass the broomstick test for your own safety but the organizers won't make a fuss regardless. They'll black flag you if you're driving like an idiot and not adhering to the rules but otherwise I've seen many stock S2k's go out without a problem.

Here's a video from one of my sessions:
The following users liked this post:
MrCouch (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Pocono is a good one. Not too strict
MrCouch (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't worry about what group everyone else is in. It's not based on speed, or how much your cars worth, or even mods. What it is based on is skill and track awareness.

I'd sign up for a hod (hooked on driving) track day, they have great instructors and go from there. Most novice run groups aren't that strict about roll bars, harness and what not, it's more of a C group and above. Also, remember whatever safety precautions you take on the drivers side, the passenger side must mimic. I.e. You have a harness the passenger side must have a harness. You have stock belts, and seats, the passenger side must have stock seats and belts.

i'd skip the etown track, for now. I personally feel that it's more important for novices to go out there with a qualified instructor and let them tell you what bad habits you have and go from there. Just because you can take an off ramp and X speed doesn't qualify you as a racing line expert. Nor does driving a sports car make you an expert on track safety, let the guy with 10 years of seat time guide you in to the right habits.

Also, when your there, remember to have fun, if you find your mind wandering on track, come off. You won't be used to the levels of concentration it takes to drive a car at or close to the limit for at least 3 track days. It's normal. Come off, talk to seasoned drivers about how their days are going, soak in the atmosphere. Another point is if you find yourself getting hooked, try sitting in other people's cars to see how comfortable their seats are. Not many other places where you'll find as many bucket seats, and contrary to popular belief bucket seats are extremely comfortable. I have to keep myself from falling asleep in them. I'd look for a halo seat, roll bar with a proper seatbelt attachment point, and a hans
MrCouch (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Go with the guys to the NYST days they set up. Also NASA, PCA and BMWCCA run lots of track days. And of course I would always suggest come play with in autocross at the meadowlands =)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpl
Go with the guys to the NYST days they set up. Also NASA, PCA and BMWCCA run lots of track days. And of course I would always suggest come play with in autocross at the meadowlands =)
Defiantly! I will be setting up an S2000 event at NYST this coming season. More details to follow...
Old 12-06-2016, 04:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
I wouldn't worry about what group everyone else is in. It's not based on speed, or how much your cars worth, or even mods. What it is based on is skill and track awareness.

I'd sign up for a hod (hooked on driving) track day, they have great instructors and go from there. Most novice run groups aren't that strict about roll bars, harness and what not, it's more of a C group and above. Also, remember whatever safety precautions you take on the drivers side, the passenger side must mimic. I.e. You have a harness the passenger side must have a harness. You have stock belts, and seats, the passenger side must have stock seats and belts.

i'd skip the etown track, for now. I personally feel that it's more important for novices to go out there with a qualified instructor and let them tell you what bad habits you have and go from there. Just because you can take an off ramp and X speed doesn't qualify you as a racing line expert. Nor does driving a sports car make you an expert on track safety, let the guy with 10 years of seat time guide you in to the right habits.

Also, when your there, remember to have fun, if you find your mind wandering on track, come off. You won't be used to the levels of concentration it takes to drive a car at or close to the limit for at least 3 track days. It's normal. Come off, talk to seasoned drivers about how their days are going, soak in the atmosphere. Another point is if you find yourself getting hooked, try sitting in other people's cars to see how comfortable their seats are. Not many other places where you'll find as many bucket seats, and contrary to popular belief bucket seats are extremely comfortable. I have to keep myself from falling asleep in them. I'd look for a halo seat, roll bar with a proper seatbelt attachment point, and a hans

Yep, well said. Adding to that, Englishtown has 2 run groups, a "school" for novices and an "open track" group for returning students. Their school is very reasonably priced and gives you plenty of seat time with an instructor. Most of the instructors at etown, like myself, have plenty of experience around that track amongst others so you'll be in good hands. We generally look and instruct on being smooth with your inputs, looking ahead, and track awareness since safety is always #1 priority. "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast", focus on understanding the car and building a strong foundation of skills, the speed will come later.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 AM

I apologize guys, I have over 100 days on the track just with other cars. Englishtown is a great track for learning basics. I do like pocono alot as well. NJMP is great for locals.

I geuss i was just asking about s2000 specific requirements and your own experiences with this specific car at some of the tri-state tracks.

Also, Brake wise, Stoptech slotted stainless and some rbf660?

Last few cars
15 f80 m3 (never tracked)
13 e93 m3 ( never tracked)
11 e92 m3 (30+ days)
08 e90 m3 (30+ days)
04 e46 m3 (never tracked)
01 e46 m3 ( too many days to count)

geuss i had an issue with bmw
Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto

Interesting, so even if im solo in my own car i need to mimic safety on pass side? or is that for any time another is in the vehicle with you?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by iamxpl
The NYST days are set up by our own guys here? and Meadowlands is a great time!!!

Quick Reply: Track Days 2017