New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Track Days for Beginners?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Track Days for Beginners?

so i know we have a couple dedicated track/auto x guys here in metro, and with the season approaching i want to get involved this year!

I've owned my car for 2 years and love spirited driving, but around here you cant really do all that much without getting in trouble/endangering the lives of others which i dont want to do, so i would like to get some track time in, but gotta say im nervous as hell!

#1 i have never done it before, and i dont wanna look like a jackass
#2 i dont want to send my beautiful car sailing into a wall cause ill cry
#3 i dont have a hardtop/roll bar

So im reaching out to you metro trackies!!! take me under your wing so i can soar with the eagles!!!!!....man that was gay, but seriously i wanna get on the track this year!!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Pocono even is probably the best place to start. Get to that thread and get a reg. form in pronto! The track is flat, not too technical, and the club who hosts doesn't have a ton of M3's GT3's or other barn-burners coming up on you every lap like an Audi Club event will. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106...ease-check-in/

If that doesn't work out get to one of the NASA Northeast events and sign up for the HPDE 1 group. They'll assign you an instructor and probably a very good one at that. http://nasane.com/

Most of these organizations will count the integrated roll protection in the S2000 as sufficient to run HPDE. NASA, DVMC, ACNA, PCA, etc. all do. Some will require you to pass a broomstick test where they place a "stick" on the top of the A-pillar to the top of the roll hoop, if you're head hits the stick, no go. My personal experience is most places are pretty lenient with this as long as it's close.

Any organization you run with will require beginners to have an instructor in-car and classroom time thus greatly decreasing the chances of jackassery. Further, any track that is worth anything will have sufficient run off area around turns so even if you do put four off, you really have to be trying in order to hit something.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i know nothing of track days, but if you want to autocross =) im a noobie too but i can help ya get started.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
i know nothing of track days, but if you want to autocross =) im a noobie too but i can help ya get started.
You should fix that! You'd have a blast and be good at it...not to mention you'd get to use 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll need a helmet.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by plankfarm
You'll need a helmet.
Not gonna lie, I laughed at that.

Hand Banana, that link in your sig is ... well..... odd?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Originally Posted by plankfarm' timestamp='1393195315' post='23030221
You'll need a helmet.
Not gonna lie, I laughed at that.

Hand Banana, that link in your sig is ... well..... odd?
its from a a show called aqua teen hunger force, odd....yes but always good for a few laughs
Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
What a lier, Noobie? LOL. You got a lot of autocross events under your belt and have a few trophy's to prove it. But in series note, I have to join you for a few events this year.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by gofast182
The Pocono even is probably the best place to start. Get to that thread and get a reg. form in pronto! The track is flat, not too technical, and the club who hosts doesn't have a ton of M3's GT3's or other barn-burners coming up on you every lap like an Audi Club event will. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106...ease-check-in/

If that doesn't work out get to one of the NASA Northeast events and sign up for the HPDE 1 group. They'll assign you an instructor and probably a very good one at that. http://nasane.com/

Most of these organizations will count the integrated roll protection in the S2000 as sufficient to run HPDE. NASA, DVMC, ACNA, PCA, etc. all do. Some will require you to pass a broomstick test where they place a "stick" on the top of the A-pillar to the top of the roll hoop, if you're head hits the stick, no go. My personal experience is most places are pretty lenient with this as long as it's close.

Any organization you run with will require beginners to have an instructor in-car and classroom time thus greatly decreasing the chances of jackassery. Further, any track that is worth anything will have sufficient run off area around turns so even if you do put four off, you really have to be trying in order to hit something.

the idea of having an instructor for my 1st time out sounds re-assuring, thanks for the info, do you go to the NASA events?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hand banana - I believe you wont have the issue with the roll bar. It's tall people like me that have those issues. You can also try a hyperdrive for 50 bucks at one of the tracks like NJ Motorsport park or lime rock (I have done them at both). Its 20 minutes in class and 20 minutes on the track.

I'm going to try HPDE 1 this year if they allow me in since I'm so tall.

Pocono is a sick event, it was so much fun when I went last year. Just like gofast182 said, great place to start. Its a little hard to get in, I was on the waiting list last year.

For the track events, you drive for yourself, the instructor will help you and guide you around the track. You will know when you can really start pushing it. At Pocono's, the first day I was learning the track and trying to get the lines correct. By the second day, I was flying around the track, I had those star specs screaming for mercy. But at the end of the day, I push the car to where I felt comfortable. Its all about have fun and being safe. You can't do both on the street.

Quick Reply: Track Days for Beginners?