New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Winter Storage Tips

Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage Tips

I know theres a huge thread on this in the other forums somewhere but since we all know what a Northeast winter is, I felt i'd rather hear it from you guys.

First off, my cars sitting outside during the winter

Should i disconnect the battery?
It has half a tank of gas? should i try to fill it up to avoid condensation in the tank?
Whats this i hear about mothballs in the interior to reduce the chances of mice getting in? (i never even thought this was a problem...?)
I have like almost brand new star specs, but i hear new tires now a days dont go flat from sitting for long...should i place some scrap carpet under the tires?
i have a car cover (breathable obviously)...

Any input would be great, thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How long are you planning to put it away? If just for the Winter, which is 3 months? I would throw a car cover on it and call it done.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I do, most of which comes from the winter storage thread in the other forums. I store from the last weekend in November until the second week in March. Not all may apply if your car is outside (like leaving the top unlatched).

-Tires inflated to 40psi to prevent flat spots.

-Wiper arms propped to keep the inserts from hardening in one position

-Remove EVERYTHING from interior of car so mice don't have anything to use for nesting material

-All applicable electrics turned off (dome light, stereo, HVAC, cruise) so when you start in the spring all available charge is concentrated on getting the engine started. Disconnecting the battery is not necessary.

-Gas tank filled to prevent condensation. Fuel stabilizer is NOT needed for storage less than 6 months.

-Park car on a tarp, if possible, to keep moisture from rising from the ground and condensing on the underside of the car.

-Intake and exhaust plugged with steel wool to keep mice out.

-Top left unlatched so rubber seals stay uncompressed.

-Transmission in reverse (forget why at the moment).

-Emergency brake off to prevent it rusting to rotors.

-Cover the car to protect the finish (make sure the car is clean first so the cover doesn't rub any grit on the finish).

*Do NOT start the car until you're ready to use it regularly. It's much easier on the engine to only do this one time.*
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the reason for keeping it in reverse?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the weight of snow accumlating on the softtop be a problem?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Added some explanations and a couple of additions. I forget the reason for keeping the car in reverse at the moment.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

keeping the car in reverse keeps pressure on the reversing flux capisitor diode, you've been warned.

god if it's in your garage just drive it once a month, i even had a few top down days last winter
The following 2 users liked this post by S2KNJ:
ExitSpeedPhoto (12-12-2023), freq (11-22-2016)
Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know in the state of NY, if I remove my insurance off the car, do I have to turn the plates into the DMV even though I plan to put the insurance back on in March. There is no lien or loan on the car. I spoke with Geico about garage insurance and the rep said they don't offer that, meanwhile last year another rep was offering me to put garage insurance so idk what's the deal with that.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

There's a sticky on this if I find it ill post it
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Turn in plates, take form to insurance agent and go to comp only.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Tips