S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york-metro-new-york-s2000-owners-61/)
-   -   Winter tires? what do you guys like? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york-metro-new-york-s2000-owners-61/winter-tires-what-do-you-guys-like-1166483/)

S2KNJ 11-27-2016 06:48 AM

Winter tires? what do you guys like?

My S4 came with winters tires mounted on winter rims, the tires are continental extream contacts. I never really had them in the snow, as it only snowed once big time last year and i missed a drive so i'm not sure how well they would do. The extreams are noisy compared to the silent summer tires that came off the car so i'm looking for something quiet. I haven't had serious snow tires on a car for a long time, used to get buy with all seasons and since this car is all wheel drive i'm not sure what the point of a crazy aggressive snow tire is to drive back and forth to work occasionally.

So anyhow since i have the rims i'll likely go back and forth to summer and winter tires, mt extreams are about tapped out. What do you all like in a winter tire that's quiet? next stop tire rack...

Thanks!!

S2KNJ 11-27-2016 04:59 PM

So, some more info. The noisy winter tires are Extreme Contact DWS which are described as ultra high performance all season tires by Tire Rack. With the noise they make and winter rims I thought they were a dedicated winter tire. not sure why previous owner would buy a package of all season tires, seems like a lot of expense.

In short i'd like less noise and maybe a little less traction in a winter tire.

MrCouch 11-28-2016 06:06 AM

I ran DWS on my e92 M3 and F80 M3 with no issues in NJ, They are fine in snow if you take it easy and don't fly around anywhere. They are a pretty good alternative instead of buying dedicated tires for seasons..

Langelo DeMysterioso 11-28-2016 07:18 AM

I ran the Conti DWS on wifey's Z while she was stationed in D.C. No problem. Thinking about getting a set for my S this year for the winter.
I loved my Dunlop WinterSports when they came in S2000 size
Everyone's knows that Blizzaks are the sh...but they are noisy
Note:WInter tires are inherently noisy from the start so don't know how to cut down on your noise issue

yitznewton 11-28-2016 08:04 AM

Based on recommendations here, I run General Altimax Arctic square setup (front spec all around I think). Cheap(er) and effective.

NNY S2k 12-01-2016 09:53 AM

^^^That's what I run on the Si in the winter.
Levi

Billman250 12-01-2016 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by yitznewton (Post 24111054)
Based on recommendations here, I run General Altimax Arctic square setup (front spec all around I think). Cheap(er) and effective.

Had them for years in the wagon and they are phenomenal in snow.

S2KNJ 12-07-2016 05:38 AM

Looks like i'm going with these: MICHELIN PILOT ALPIN PA4

best performance in dry
low noise
Good performance in the snow for this area with a min amount of snow days.

gotta love TireRack and their reviews. Cant wait to get my the DWS off the car - way too much noise.