New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

2 1/2 car garages

Old 12-20-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2 1/2 car garages

I'm doing some on-line browsing for houses. I'm not immediately looking to buy a house, but thinking about a few years down the road. Some of the houses I saw have attached 2 1/2 car garages. I've seen those kinds of garages and they are quite spacious for 2 cars. But, can you squeeze 3 cars in there?

Say I have 3 cars. In the summers, I keep one outside, 2 inside. But in the winter, I don't want to store it in a storage unit... I've seen these auto dollies where you can lift the car up and put each wheel on these rolling dollies, allowing you to slowly push the car around within tight spaces... So, what I'm getting at is during the winter, I can get the S all the way in the corner for it's hibernation... Do I still have useable room to drive 2 cars in and out?

I'm planning for the day where I'll be married and eventually having a 3rd car (for her).

Oh, and the 3rd car would be similar in size to an Accord (4-door) or smaller (maybe Civic 4-door).
Old 12-20-2004, 11:30 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

My neighbor has a one that is 30x20, with a single 16' door off to one side. He puts 3 cars in it, the smallest being a 99 eclipse that he drives on an angle to the side. Those dollies would be nice too. I guess it depends if the garage in longer or wider.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You might be able to do it if you are storing all three, but if you plan to use 1 or 2 daily, you won't have room. (Not to mention all the moisture and salt that the dailies will bring in to the garage.) Keep in mind the lawnmower, snowblower, bicycles, grill, etc. that will also be in the garage. If you can find one that is extra deep, you can turn the third car sideways across the back.

That said, I once stored 2 Fiats, 3 motorcycles, a sailboat on a trailer, the lawnmower, snowblower, and grill in a 2 1/2 car garage!

I've solved the problem in my current house. I have two 2 1/2 car garages!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me I do not like the idea of bringing into the storage area my daily driver. Garages are always a bit warmer than outside due to the heat coming up through the concrete and the heat coming off the car. This heat makes the salt melt and the floor just gets nasty and all that moisture is trapped in the same space you would be storing the S. The houses that have 3 car garages are what you want. Two of the stalls are together and the third one is separated by a wall and has its own private door.

And John, this is the best website to use... I know, I did this constant for three years in a row.
http://www.homesteadnet.com

Old 12-21-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Doug,

You would like my setup. The second 2 1/2 car garage is strictly shop/storage. It's closed up tight all winter. Fully drywalled and insulated, electric, phone, tied into the security system at the house. I almost added a line for my satellite dish so I could watch the Speed channel, but TVs don't do well in that environment.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by diskoe,Dec 20 2004, 11:20 PM
I'm planning for the day where I'll be married and eventually having a 3rd car (for her).
First off congrats.

Second off maybe by the time you get married my garage expansion will be done any you will be able to park it with mine. But wait, once my garage gets bigger does that not mean I'm obligated to get another vehicle???

Old 12-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Dec 21 2004, 12:25 PM
Doug,
You would like my setup.
You are right, I do.

Mark,
You would like my Dad's setup. He has an underground tunnel so he does not have to go outside. The tunnel goes out under the front yard that connects him metal shop in the house to the wood shop in his garage where the MGA and motor home is stored, and yes, most of that building is heated.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Dec 21 2004, 01:17 PM
For me I do not like the idea of bringing into the storage area my daily driver. Garages are always a bit warmer than outside due to the heat coming up through the concrete and the heat coming off the car. This heat makes the salt melt and the floor just gets nasty and all that moisture is trapped in the same space you would be storing the S.
Actually, it's worse than that. By melting the snow/salt you now have accelerated the corrosion issue due to the higher temperatures. If you've got 'em salt-covered, keep 'em cold!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:45 PM

Doug, your suggestion of a 3 car garage has been considered. But it requires $$$$$$$$$$ and are usually attached to these HUGE houses, like 3000 sq ft. That's much out of my budget.

I'd actually be quite happy with 2.5 car garage and fit all 3 cars in it. The way I see it, the S will be covered, I'll have a vinal thing under neath it, good enough. Heck, some people drive theirs in the winter...

Good call on the web site though, I didn't know of that one.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:50 PM

Mark, you have a spare 2 1/2 car garage just for the S? You know, you could make some money by letting others store their S there... *cough* me *cough* You can probably get 4 in there.

Quick Reply: 2 1/2 car garages