New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

5 feet of snow ...

Old 12-28-2001, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get over how different Tea-Man's morning is than my own. Hard to believe we're living in the same state and just a couple of hours apart. Can you say, "Lake effect?" Still, it looks very pretty on the morning news.

ReedZ's photos are delightful. One of them reminded me of part of the old Watkins Glen Grand Prix course where it approaches the stone bridge. Lovely area. I'd post photos of up here, but there's no need for color film at the moment
Old 12-28-2001, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip - my post is a bit out of order, so see above. It took me a while to write my silly story.

The stone bridge going into the park at Watkins Glen, part of the historical racetrack is what I thought of when I saw the pic. My grandfather was a mechanic for two years in 1948 and 1949 on that track. He owned a racecar with one of his friends. A 1947 MG TC, with a supercharger and the works! My Mom grew up at the racetrack with her Dad. I get this automotive/racing addiction from both sides.

All I can say is I hope I get more than an inch. The 5 feet just next door is a tease, I want some of it, I love the challenge!

Tea-man - good luck buddy. Which I was going home now!
Old 12-28-2001, 05:50 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-H
[B]... in about 5 days!

And people wonder why we put our S2000s away for the winter!?!
Old 12-28-2001, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H
The stone bridge going into the park at Watkins Glen, part of the historical racetrack is what I thought of when I saw the pic. My grandfather was a mechanic for two years in 1948 and 1949 on that track. He owned a racecar with one of his friends. A 1947 MG TC, with a supercharger and the works! My Mom grew up at the racetrack with her Dad. I get this automotive/racing addiction from both sides.

All I can say is I hope I get more than an inch. The 5 feet just next door is a tease, I want some of it, I love the challenge!
Your comment about your grandfather and mother reminded me that a couple of years ago I decided to attend the Vintage Races in the Glen. I snuck out from work to join in the Friday afternoon festivities and decided to buy my track tickets a day early. Rather than drive back into the traffic congestion that plagues Watkins Glen on a major race weekend, I decided to return from the track by crossing the old Grand Prix track so that I'd end up north of the Glen where the traffic would be much lighter. When I entered "Old Corning Road" heading onto the old course, I noticed that the sides of the road were lined with people. Naturally, I thought this odd as there aren't that many reasons why lots of people would be standing alongside a rural, two lane road which leads nowhere. You guessed it, somehow I had managed to enter the one spot the local sheriff hadn't closed as they reenacted an early road race on the original course. Oh well, the race cars never caught up with me, I received a lot of waves as my neighbor and I drove along the old course (at a pretty good clip, I might add), and I found a great place to park at the north end of the Glen.

As for wishing for more snow, I'll let you have any which is scheduled for Ithaca. I don't mind the snow, per se, just shovelling it
Old 12-28-2001, 06:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B]... correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have set the world's record for the most posts for someone STILL waiting for delivery.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:50 AM

I drove my parents back to Erie, PA yesterday. Got to Buffalo a bit after 11 A.M. and sat on the Thruway just before the Galleria for 30-45 minutes. Finally was able to get off and get on Rt. 20 to Hamburg where I got back on the Thruway. Took me about 4 hours to do a 2.5 hour trip. Left Erie at about 2:30 P.M. and pondered various routes but decided on taking 20A from Hamburg. Welp, the snow belt had shifted noticeably south, hitting Hamburg and 20A so I was slowed down again. Then heard the Thruway was closed to Henrietta (middle Rochester exit). Damn! At least I was able to keep moving - still took 4 hours...
Old 12-28-2001, 07:18 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Love the Glen. Love vintage racing at the Glen. I've crewed there several times but wasn't able to drive it (always a dream) in a MGA race project that stalled due arthritus issues. Crewed with Joe Tierno (#29 green MGA from NY) and Dave Smith (#49 white MGA from MI). So I quess I'll settle for track days in the S2000.

The story of driving the old course reminded me of a couple year's ago when I was driving it just before night fall in my street MGA (ralley cam, bored 40 over) with a friend. We were filming it with a Sony movie camera and I screamed "Oh, shxt!" as I missed a deer by inches. I still can't believe my buddy didn't get the deer on film. I was lucky. I'd had hit a deer in MI with the same car the previous fall and was pretty lucky then also, as it flew over my hood with minor damage to the car. Good steaks.

Like I said in the beginning, that part of NY is wonderful and the Glen is the Best.... Ah, for the good 'ole days of F1 races when the driver was the most important element.

Happy Holidays NY. Triple H congrats on the new title.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

How are you guys doing up there?

I've been watching the reports about the snow on intellicast.com and the weather channel. That snowfall is amazing!!

I'd love to come up to meet everyone this spring!
I will be in Rochester (Eastman) this January, anyone going to be around then?

James
Old 12-28-2001, 07:39 AM

ReedZ - nice to hear from you in the Upstate Forum!!!
I can almost see the Eastman from where I'm typing.
I will be here, let me know when you are coming up, it would be great to meet you!
I assume for a show or an audition???
Old 12-28-2001, 07:44 AM
Former Sponsor

I will be performing. My day gig is with the USMA Band. oboe/eh
Hence, ReedZ

Quick Reply: 5 feet of snow ...