New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

#59 Race Blog

Old 07-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The clutch disc or clutch pressure plate let loose. Hard to tell which failed first but a couple fingers of the clutch were broken off and one sprin on the clutch had broken loose. It should have caused some epic damage but for some reason it did not. One small nick in the clutch fork and a few scraps here and there. Jake and company swapped it out in 4 hours and its should be on the starting line at NJMP - Thunderbolt.
Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-clutch1.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Qualifying is over and my times were way off, I was more concerned about the car's condition than setting the fastest time. Many thanks to Jake and Semir for getting the car fixed as quick as they did, I had my doubts if I was going to be on the starting line this w/e but their hard work made it all come together.

I will definitely need some new tires for tomorrows race, its 95 degrees and the track is very greasy. Thunderbolt is a combination of 1/2 very fast, high speed sections and some very very slow. technical sections. I have not been on the track since 2013 but nothing's changed so I did not have to learn anything new. My car is geared horribly for this track, seems like I run out of gear in 4 or 5 places. So I will be taking it easy and concentrate on staying in a higher gear and carrying more speed in the turns.

I am seeing a lot of new faces and I think a lot of drivers that did not run the NE Conference tour, came out just to say they ran a Majors race.

So this is the last of the 7 race North East Majors Conference races and I have managed to hold the points lead in STU since the 2nd race at Summit Point. I am also the ONLY person that has made it to every race and I have completed all 12 races (two races each w/e) up until this point. The guy that is in 2nd place in the conference had a mechanical at Thompson's and he did not show up this w/e so even if I do not get any points this w/e I will still win the class.

On Wedn Aashish stopped by and we did a debrief of the SCDA event at Watkins. A2 got his first official "Instructing" assignment and I am very pleased to say the results were very positive (verified by an email from ELivan. ). So all his hard work both on an off the track are now starting to pay off and if he continues to improve his coaching skills he may find that his services will be needed by many different clubs.

And in another BIG surprise Mr A2 surprised me wil a very special gift, a personalized Rtic mug. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-mug_59.jpg   #59 Race Blog-mug_59a.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 02:41 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Glad Jake and Semir were able to get you ready to line up

i need to get decals from Jake for both cars.

And thanks for all the positive reinforcement and for believing I could do it.

Good luck thjs this weekend and I hope you finish on the podium again.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 AM

So its been over a month since we wrapped up the NE Conference races and I have been to the track only twice since then, once at Palmer to coach and once at LRP to test the #59. The car is pretty much ready with only one big change which will be reviled in the near future.

I will be back at Palmer on Friday to coach for the lapping day and to possibly scuff in a new set of Hoosiers. I am debating on taking the street car to scuff the tires in and not risk damage to the #59. I was scheduled to be part of the SCDA event at Club Motorsports but I have a pre-op doctor appointment on day 1 and it is important that keep that appointment. (more on that operation after Indy).

Since I will be home on 9/8 I decided to take a bunch of guys from work to Palmer for a Track Night In America event. It should be fun and most have never been on track before. Its been quite a few years since my street car has been on track, debating on what I want to do to it prior to next Friday. I have a fresh set of JRZ dampers that I would love to put on the car, but not sure I have enough time to do it right.

And lastly - I got an email from Honda Performance and Development (HPD) yesterday (see below) inviting me to park under the Honda tent with the HPD team for the Runoffs at Indy. I sure got lucky on that one, but I hope they bring a bunch of HPD swag with them for us budget racers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janeen Farias
JFarias@hra.com via globalhonda.onmicrosoft.com

1:01 PM (20 hours ago)

to Greg
Greg,
Have you registered with the SCCA? If you are in need of a spot for your race car, then yes we have room under our HPD tent. We do not have room for any trailers or tow vehicles, you will have to park those separately. If you want a spot with us please let me know as soon as possible so I can inform the SCCA.

Thank you,
Janeen Farias
Marketing Coordinator, Commercial Motorsports
Honda Performance Development
25145 Anza Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
T: 661-702-7858
C: 661-904-8158
E: jfarias@hra.com
Old 08-30-2017, 07:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Greg - that's fantastic news about parking under the HPD tent. See if they'll hire you as a test driver too. That could be one hell of a retirement plan. And while you are there I'm down for extra swag if they have any.

Have fun at Palmer with Sean and Ernie. It'll only be Mike and I at Club Motorsports at this time.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes, now that you have "arrived", save the car!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll be in the corner spot directly across from the tent. I opted out of the tent as I don't want to drag everything out of the trailer. Should be a fun week. Anyone with some spare time who wants to help me change a clutch on the thursday before!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
but I hope they bring a bunch of HPD swag with them for us budget racers.
Who couldn't use another HPD lanyard.

HPD usually buys lunch at NASA Nationals.

Last edited by freq; 08-31-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
Wanna trade, I got MP-39 as my paid spot, but it would be nice to be closer to the tent where the car will be ?.
Let me think about it. I was pretty excited for that spot (MP-28) as it will be easy for me to get my rig (40' motorhome) and trailer into it regardless of the direction. I'm not sure what they are going to have for accommodation in getting trailers into spots. and the generator in the trailer is a pig...i was going to back the trailer in and then let the toyota guys listen to it all day!

give me a msg as we get closer....
Old 09-10-2017, 06:11 AM

So after spending the past two Friday's at Palmer (one coaching for the lapping event and this pas Friday coach the office wanna-bees at TNIA) I figure I should get busy packing my trailer and race crap for Indy.

But first a report on my first TNIA. I had been bugging a couple of my office co-workers at NYS Comptroller's office to come join me at the track. I figured a Track Night In America would be the best venue to get introduced to the track. So Ernie Yue (AP2) and Sean Thompson (AP2) signed up for TNIA at Palmer, with Ernie and myself in ADV and Sean in Novice. We arrived at 1:30 and get setup in my personal paddock space near the pit out. We signed in and I got my car unloaded, I had brought the trailer and some extra rubber just in case anyone got a flat. Ernie and Sean went to the Novice driver meeting and then Sean got 4 or 5 touring laps behind the pace car while Ernie and I sat in the drivers meeting. Then Ernie and I got to got out first, we did a lead follow for about 4 laps. In the Adv group they allow passing anyw where on track with point bys (including corners). Its a bit un nerving being on track with some inexperience drivers in high power cars. I witnessed more than few bone head moves but most drivers did well managing traffic. Ernie did very well, he learned the track quickly and settled in by run2, he then told me he wanted to ride with me during run3 because his car was HOT. I erfused to take him and told him to put his big boy pants on and get out there. . By the 3rd run he took off ahead of me and I never once caught a glimpse of him. I pushed the car as hard as I could without spinning out and I was not able to catch him during the 20 min run. Very impressive Ern....hats off.

I sat in during Sean's 1st run to show him the line, after a few shakey laps he settled in and started to learn the track. Ernie went out with Sean during his second run and Sean repeated my turn by turn to Ernie so he could see my line. Surprisingly Sean had memorize every single turn that I had barked at him during the first 20 min run. So I guess it helped because both Sean and Ernie most likely set faster lap times than I did. I must admiit I was not comfortable driving my street car at speed on track, I just had no confidence in the tiers or brakes. I don't know how the heck you guys do it lap after lap.

Anyway, it was a fun, relaxing night, low stress and fun dry laps on Palmer !!. I think they both had a great time and finally now know why I come into work each week with a track story from the w/e.

Greg's run - Sean's laps are posted in the Itching to get on track blog.

Back camera

Last edited by s200059; 09-10-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: #59 Race Blog