New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Annual Maintenance for the S2000 - What Is recommended?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Annual Maintenance for the S2000 - What Is recommended?

Jeff posted in the chat thread about flushing brake and clutch fluids. Did not want that to get lost there, so I wanted to move the discussion to a new thread and maybe start some discussion on the topic of maintenance.

Here is Jeff's post:
Originally Posted by Fasting
Was at the cycle shop rebuilding R6 calipers and picking up some YZ parts for my son.

Reminds me to tell everyone to flush their brake and clutch fluids.

I can't believe how corroded the pistons I had to remove on a customers bike were. The bike was not that old.

Based on the above:
- First please specify your driving habits. For example is your maintenance based on a full season of track/autocross or do you drive your car Rain, shine or snow or is your car summer only.
- What Annual Maintenance do you perform for the S2000?
- What other work do you think should be done annually that you do not currently perform?

I'd like to see where this goes and hopefully we will come up with a whole list of maintenance items that will help the community and those that are recently joined.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I do a complete fluid change before storage on:
Brakes
Clutch
Oil and Filter
Trans
Diff

and change the:
Cabin air filter... That paper is the so gross after the summer, it's unbelievable.

I don't do coolant. That is on a 5 year plan.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ In addition I add Shinitsu grease on the rubber window/roof moldings just prior to storage, but I will confess, I'm not real good about doing the cabin filter every year... and I do make sure every other year the valves are adjusted.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

I must confess that other than oil changes and brake fluid, I am not annual on those other fluids. I do them once every two years. But that will likely change next year onwards.

As far as coolant goes, I think I will have to do it next season. The car is an 06 and I am not sure the dealer may have done it when I bought it CPO.
Is this a good method to follow for the Coolant?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNJDy_bZDE[/media]

Also, what is the interval to change the Engine air filter?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A 2
Also, what is the interval to change the Engine air filter?
I have a performance foam version, I wash it, dry it, and re-oil it every 2-3 years, I have no clue on the OEM paper version but I suspect changing it every couple years is a wise idea
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
As far as coolant goes, I think I will have to do it next season. The car is an 06 and I am not sure the dealer may have done it when I bought it CPO.
The original coolant is good for 10 years/100K miles. I plan to do mine next year for the first time.

When I was heavily autocrossing, I changed all fluids yearly. Now, I do oil once each season before storage. The other fluids are done every other year.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by A 2' timestamp='1351035453' post='22104022
The original coolant is good for 10 years/100K miles. I plan to do mine next year for the first time.

When I was heavily autocrossing, I changed all fluids yearly. Now, I do oil once each season before storage. The other fluids are done every other year.

So I should be all set until 2016 then
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasting
I do a complete fluid change before storage on:
Brakes
Clutch
Oil and Filter
Trans
Diff

and change the:
Cabin air filter... That paper is the so gross after the summer, it's unbelievable.

I don't do coolant. That is on a 5 year plan.

I do everything but the brakes. I also top off the gas tank and add stabil, and let it run for a couple minutes after. Then i throw the battery on a battery tender. This year i'm storing my car in a non heated garage (for the first time), so i will put it on jack stands off the ground as well.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, if you are going to store in the unheated garage, and if it has a concrete floor, get one of those blue tarps to put down under the car to minimize the moisture.

I too use the long term dose of Stabil in a full tank of gas, running the car to make sure the Stabil gets into the fuel delivery system.

Jack stands are good, although I've used those dollies that are curved like a tire. I pump up the tires to about 45 psi. I think Doug puts the car up on pieces of wood to increase under car air circulation

I also put a piece of aluminium foil over the air intake and over the exhaust openings to foil the mice.

I leave the top up, but unhooked.

I put mothballs in the passenger compartment and in the engine compartment.

I take off the wiper blades.

I cover the car.

I lock the garage.