New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Autocross Discussion Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Chris - nice stash of trophies you've picked up. Congratulations

I see that the site is an airport. Is it still in use? If yes, then do they plan to use that lot off to the side?
Thanks!
Yes the airport is still in use, right below the two landing strips that cross each other and make an x there is what looks like a small track right at the end of flood road. Its an evoc course (emergency vehicle operations course) where police train. they pretty much are using it in the same manner as we will, they put cones all over the course and practice/train
Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Allen
Thanks!
Yes the airport is still in use, right below the two landing strips that cross each other and make an x there is what looks like a small track right at the end of flood road. Its an evoc course (emergency vehicle operations course) where police train. they pretty much are using it in the same manner as we will, they put cones all over the course and practice/train
I believe you told me that they did evoc at fortitech? this place is much much larger than fortitech
Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Allen
Solo driver of the year award!
Congrats!

Are you a WNY member? If not, I'm surprised they would give out an award like that to a non-member.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Congrats!

Are you a WNY member? If not, I'm surprised they would give out an award like that to a non-member.
no just a CNY member. I was very surprised.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:00 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Sharing for the RPI FSAE program that is affiliated with MoHud SCCA. They are conducting an autocross survey for their project. Please share with any autocross groups you know.

https://goo.gl/forms/TWDAEVZhPChUfcDp2
Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Has anyone here done or heard of "the starting line school" with SCCA? I am seriously considering it, as it also includes one year membership with SCCA as well as a "track night" event. I did an autocross event for the first time with PCA last week and it was more fun than anticipated. Plus, autocrooss seems to be a less expensive way to continue to improve skills between "expensive"track days.

Link to the school here: https://www.scca.com/pages/starting-line

Originally Posted by A 2
BTW - I signed up for the Evo school (both phases) at Monroe County Community College.

Mark - any recommendations on motels where I can stay?

Bugsy - you should sign up too. Sooner the better as these things fill up real fast.

Link for Phase 1 school: Evolution Performance Driving School Phase One info on Apr 22, 2017 (520112) | MotorsportReg.com

Link for Phase 2 School: Evolution Performance Driving School Phase Two info on Apr 23, 2017 (100181) | MotorsportReg.com
Old 02-23-2017, 08:02 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Helio - the starting line school is a good deal. Also check out the Evo school.

Autocross is plenty of fun once you get the hang of it and IMO helps one be a better driver on track too. With driving a new course at each event it instills the skill of always looking ahead. That translates on to track as well. You'll also become more familiar with the car and understand how it reacts that will also help you at Sebring or Barber.

For me, I enjoy the camaraderie as well as having something to keep me active between track days.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you take full advantage of the perks that come with the Starting Line package it is a good deal. If you are not going to autocross all season, or might miss the Track Night or the National Tour entries, then it is not worth it.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Autocross is plenty of fun once you get the hang of it and IMO helps one be a better driver on track too. With driving a new course at each event it instills the skill of always looking ahead. That translates on to track as well. You'll also become more familiar with the car and understand how it reacts that will also help you at Sebring or Barber.

For me, I enjoy the camaraderie as well as having something to keep me active between track days.
Good feedback A! I enjoy meeting new people at these events, especially seeing the P-cars at at PCA. There were a number of 911s, Caymans, and someone with a latest gen GT3 (who was launching his car at the end to get the best time). I will look into the differences between the Starting Line and the EVO School.

Originally Posted by Conedodger
If you take full advantage of the perks that come with the Starting Line package it is a good deal. If you are not going to autocross all season, or might miss the Track Night or the National Tour entries, then it is not worth it.
Good points. The other promotion happening in March, is that SCCA members can register for an April Track Night event for only $50 vs. the standard $150. So if one registeres for Starting Line, it includes 1 Track Night which can be used anytime this year; and, for only another $50, that person can get into another April Track Night as well (since Starting Line package includes a SCCA 1 year membership). These tracks look interesting: Carolina Motorsports Park, Palm Beach International Raceway, Roebling Road Raceway (done once) , Atlanta Motorsports Park.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:48 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

So SCCA needs all solo safety stewards to do an online webinar. I just logged in to one waiting for it to start. They seem to be going in the right direction

Soon members can get credit for working assignments and for attending meetings that can be used towards a discount for SCCA events. I think that portion of the site is being built out.

Quick Reply: Autocross Discussion Thread