New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Car/Home Insurance - seeking insights, opinions, experience

Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Skip

The other thing with Allstate, their ads just piss me off
They state things, they brag about things, they advertise the crap out of things that just are not true
When I called my agent on one of the specific claims she said "oh, yea, sorry, Allstate does not offer than in NY"
And the one that really pisses me off is the claim that the motorcycle insurance will be cheaper with them if I have it with my cars/truck
What I lie, my rate went way up on the bike, so after a year of that I went right back to Progressive with the VFR, and my rate went down

Interestingly enough, I got something from RIT/Liberty Mutual today
It's an offer for an additional 10% discount based upon the fact that I'm an RIT alumni
I'll give them a ring and see what I get for a price
One thing I already like, they write their policies for cars/truck for 1-year, so I would not have to do the 6-month dance which I hate
Hell I have had my CRX-Si for 22-years, going through the renew process twice a year is just a PITA...
Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Never had Progressive send me forms asking about the insured vehicles
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
Never had Progressive send me forms asking about the insured vehicles
Nor I...
I have had Progressive on my motorcycles for well over 20-years as I recall
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM

I started calling around today and found both Progressive and Liberty Mutual are both a couple hundred higher than Allstate which could be because Allstate offers a discount because I have my house and cars both with them.

I suspect one of the things driving my auto policies up is my max $500,000 Liability Coverage.
What's the max limit you carry on Liability?

Liberty Mutual $1,286
Progressive $1,281
Allstate $1,056

_______

Wait a f'ing second, the Liberty Mutual was a 12-month policy, that would make it like HALF PRICE
I got to go look at that again, no way could that difference be so big
Wow, maybe that RIT Alumni discount was a lot bigger than I thought
Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM

WTF, I need to call them tomorrow to verify this...

Dear Douglas,
I am pleased to offer you a 12 month auto insurance quote from Liberty Mutual. Attached is a summary of the quote. Please call 1-877-591-9846 to purchase your policy.
Your Auto Insurance Quote
Premium $1,286.00/Year
Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Doug, be a little carefull about applying for too many insurance policies before doing your research. I believe it goes on your credit report - and then get used against you on the premium quotes. Too much searching and they think you are desparate!

I have my autos, house and camp with National Grange Mutual Insurance Company or NGM for short. Been with them for about 6 years through a local insurance agent. I'm sure there is supposed to be a discount for combined coverage.

All quotes are annual. I wouldn't but a policy coverage for only six months.

$500 deductible combined single limit of $500,000 liability coverage on the auto at $1094 for the 2012 Ford Escape; $1052 on Nancy's 2009 Honda Accord and $868 on the 2004 S2000. Nancy has claims of about $1500 every couple of years.

Standard All Risks policy on the house and contents is $968 including $86 for scheduled personal property. Does not include flood or earth movement. Liability is coverage is $500,000

The camp in Elizabethtown is $927 which includes $19 for watercraft liability. Liability coverage is $300,000

I also carry an umbrella policy with a $1.0 million limit for $444 per year.

So my total annual insurance bill is about $5353.

Over the years, I sue people and deal with their insurance companies. I would not insure with Allstate - bottom of the heap as far as I'm concerned. I've always liked Nationwide.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I started calling around today and found both Progressive and Liberty Mutual are both a couple hundred higher than Allstate which could be because Allstate offers a discount because I have my house and cars both with them.

I suspect one of the things driving my auto policies up is my max $500,000 Liability Coverage.
What's the max limit you carry on Liability?

Liberty Mutual $1,286
Progressive $1,281
Allstate $1,056

_______

Wait a f'ing second, the Liberty Mutual was a 12-month policy, that would make it like HALF PRICE
I got to go look at that again, no way could that difference be so big
Wow, maybe that RIT Alumni discount was a lot bigger than I thought
$500,000 liability on the cars, $300,000 on the motorcycle.

Everyone is so sue-happy that I have the highest liability to protect myself and my assets.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
WTF, I need to call them tomorrow to verify this...

Dear Douglas,
I am pleased to offer you a 12 month auto insurance quote from Liberty Mutual. Attached is a summary of the quote. Please call 1-877-591-9846 to purchase your policy.
Your Auto Insurance Quote
Premium $1,286.00/Year
Sounds like a reasonable quote. I spend less on three cars and two drivers with Hartford. $500k liability, no collision on the Subaru.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 AM

I carry collision on everything, and I insist on $200 deductibles only

I'll look into Hartford and some of the others mentioned here

I'm not worried about getting quotes from about 5 different places, it has to be done anyways, I'm not just buying insurance blindly, too much is at risk

And I agree about the high coverages like $500k, Mark put it very well, people are sue-happy and chit costs so much money, just one example, I can't imagine how many plane flights I could get to Europe and Asia with $35k, and yet that's what just one short little helicopter ride costs if an air ambulance is needed
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 AM

The Liberty Mutual quote is so reasonable, I might even take the leap and spend a few extra bucks to move the CRX-Si onto a Hagarty policy, then I can have it insured for $9,000 and not the tiny amount Allstate would give me if it were in an accident

Right now with my coverages the CRX-Si costs only $263 per 6-months

Quick Reply: Car/Home Insurance - seeking insights, opinions, experience