New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Debate: 4 seater cars to replace S2K

Old 03-17-2017, 03:19 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
I know Aashish will shake his head at this suggestion, but have you considered either an Evo 9 or 10? Provided they aren't modded to all hell, it should prove to be a fun everyday car, plenty of utility, and in the winter you can throw on some Nokian winter tires and do rally stuff and fire massive rooster tails off the back!
is there such a thing as an unmodded Evo

Old 03-17-2017, 03:52 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Here are a couple of options that are a bit off the beaten path, mostly because everyone will recommend the E36/46, WRX/STI, etc:

VW Golf R: Bugsy had one of these for a bit, he could tell you more about them, but I think you might be able to get a better deal on the 4-door. The look like a nice alternative to the WRX/Evo.

Chevrolet SS: Sleeper ahoy! Though it may be difficult to find one in a manual, there is something about the GTO/G8 reborn that looks like it would be a blast as a family car. How can you argue with an LS3 under the hood?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
is there such a thing as an unmodded Evo

^^Based on my recent searches...no. No there is not haha. I actually thought about Evos as well (Love the look of the 9's and 10's) but I have my doubts about their reliability, especially considering my budget range is going to put me right in the heart of modded out and "just 1 more psi of boost" cars owned by Ken Block wannabes.

I'm not much for the Golf R but the SS is a cool car, albeit very difficult to find in manual. Raptors are cool but I want a car I can take to the track a couple times a year and row through the gears. Besides I could put a supercharger and suspension on my silverado for cheaper I suspect haha.

As of now I think I'm leaning towards the camaro (always wanted to have a medium cammed/fully piped LS motor to listen to but wish it was about 500lbs lighter) but I'm going to sleep on the whole idea of ditching the S for a few months and see if I still feel the same about it. Once the snow clears up here in the fingerlakes and I can start driving the s2k again, I'll see how much time I'm actually able to make for it and go from there. Don't want to make any decisions in haste. Think its the over-analytical engineer in me . Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions guys!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:52 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

I'm sure once you pull the car out of storage and start driving it, you will wonder why you even had the thought of selling it.

And im hoping that first drive also motivates you to sign up for Watkins Glen in July.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mswitz88
As a side question: my '03 s2k has quite a few irreversible mods (body widening, full repaint in Cadillac Black Diamond color, powder coated parts, air pump delete, etc.). The question is I have a nice orange powder coated harddog rollbar and behind the seats gutted but kept all the factory parts in the garage. Is the car worth more to sell as-is or should I take out the roll bar and put all of the plastics back. That process will be a pain in the ass but if the car is worth more with the stock plastics installed, it may be worth the effort then sell the rollbar. Car has 190k miles but is in excellent shape especially with the fresh paint last year.
personally i think you're better off selling the roll bar and returning the interior of the car to stock, you'll get more buyers and make more money selling the roll bar separate.

I hate seeing anyone go. But if you're going with a 4 door car i'd recommend getting an awd vehcile that way you can drive it year round. A bmw 335xi would fit your budget and still be a really fun car, that would be my suggestion.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Cheerios in the seats, projectile vomiting on the floor, lost crayons melting in the sun, runny noses, grimy hands, car seats, port-a-cribs, baby paraphernalia (ever see how big a baby pushcart has become?) and then comes all the kid sports stuff - muddy shoes, gum wrappers, comic books, dirty socks, soccer cleats and lost hockey padding in the seats. Quit fooling around. Get yourself a 4 door beater where you and your wife won't break your backs hauling that stuff in and out and where you can hose it out once every spring and fall. Mid size SUV is barely big enough. So I vote 5 door. Forget sporty lad. Those days are over. Kiss it goodbye. No driving like a kid anymore with those two hoodlums in the back! Mom's going to have the death grip on your arm screaming "slow down!" even though your barely going 35. You'll have responsibility. Start saving for college. Start paying for life insurance. I know. You don't think it can happen to you, but there you'll be - with that big ball and chain they call being a grownup.

So my humble advice: If your car is paid for, put it into dry storage. If it's not paid for, pay it off and put it into dry storage. Don't sell it under any circumstances. When you come back in thirty years, it will be a nice thing to have - and may even be worth something. Once you have kids, you'll be 55 before you ever get another.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Jeff
Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Cheerios in the seats, projectile vomiting on the floor, lost crayons melting in the sun, runny noses, grimy hands, car seats, port-a-cribs, baby paraphernalia (ever see how big a baby pushcart has become?) and then comes all the kid sports stuff - muddy shoes, gum wrappers, comic books, dirty socks, soccer cleats and lost hockey padding in the seats. Quit fooling around. Get yourself a 4 door beater where you and your wife won't break your backs hauling that stuff in and out and where you can hose it out once every spring and fall. Mid size SUV is barely big enough. So I vote 5 door. Forget sporty lad. Those days are over. Kiss it goodbye. No driving like a kid anymore with those two hoodlums in the back! Mom's going to have the death grip on your arm screaming "slow down!" even though your barely going 35. You'll have responsibility. Start saving for college. Start paying for life insurance. I know. You don't think it can happen to you, but there you'll be - with that big ball and chain they call being a grownup.

So my humble advice: If your car is paid for, put it into dry storage. If it's not paid for, pay it off and put it into dry storage. Don't sell it under any circumstances. When you come back in thirty years, it will be a nice thing to have - and may even be worth something. Once you have kids, you'll be 55 before you ever get another.
Post of the day! Great advice.
Levi
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
personally i think you're better off selling the roll bar and returning the interior of the car to stock, you'll get more buyers and make more money selling the roll bar separate.

I hate seeing anyone go. But if you're going with a 4 door car i'd recommend getting an awd vehcile that way you can drive it year round. A bmw 335xi would fit your budget and still be a really fun car, that would be my suggestion.
I was afraid of this. If I decide to sell, I may throw the car up on here first and see if someone wants it as-is but if that falls through, I'll go through the effort of converting the interior back to stock. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for a solid laugh, Jeff! I think the main point of this discussion has gotten lost, though. I have a pickup truck for the messy duties and my wife has a minivan. The s2000 is my "toy" if you will. I am debating on selling to get a 4 seater so that I can share the joy of driving with the family instead of just by myself since we would never be able to all go in the s2k. Yes I would be dropping my son off at the babysitter's with it in fair weather but it will never be a soccer-mom-mobile haha. I just know that the inability to use the s2k for daily commutes is going to limit the frequency which I drive it and kind of defeats the point of having a "toy". I have never been one to want a garage queen and I would hate to see the S2000's use get limited to occasional weekends and 1-2 track days a year. Last year I drove it nearly every day (pending rain) from mid-April until late-November.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Best advice ever!!! Wanna buy a 2008 WRX for a beater? We are about to sell that, +1 is about to make the S2000 as his daily and we went off the deep end and bought a 2012 Boxter as the new toy. Every couple in their "senior years" should have two two seat vehicles, right?? My Jeep will be the family car and will be useful when we need to deal with the grandson and his soccer stuff...

PS +1's first car was an MG, and it took about 40 years to get another two seater.....