New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Driving and Race School

Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Driving and Race School

OK, I'm going to post here for widest Upstate dissemination.

I know it's expensive. But you don't have to go to a 3 Day Race School. They have all kinds of driver's programs, including survival driving for you or your teenaged children. And I'm not a pimp for the school. But I've done the 3 day Miata Race School and plan to do the 2 day Advance Race School this week. The three day school was a blast and worth every penny. Often I see the other schools in progress as I'm driving into the track. Hell, I may even sign up after this week just to get some mor action on the skid pad.

So now is the discount season. This is how I bought into the 2 day Advance Race School last year.

I quote:

"From now to November 1st - you can receive 30% off Holiday Gift Certificates!* All you have to do is call 800.221.1131 and give the code SBGC30Z to a School and Series Advisor!"

After November 1, the discount gets lowered to 20%, probably through November 15, when it is lowered to 10% until December 1.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Jeff, you cracked me up with that "pimp" remark.

Whispered something to JJ. Hopefully she picks up the hint and gets me one for my birthday.

I looked on the website but could not find any info about a 30% discount. Is this limited to people that have driven with them in the past? If not, I would like to share this with some people I know that may be interested too.

I really want to do the Mazdaspeed Racing 3-day school.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

OK, I just spent the last 20 minutes on their website. I need to take a break
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 PM

I got an e-mail. I'll forward it to JJ. But after 20 minutes, you should have your program all picked out.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Jeff - I shared this with my BIL and his friends. My BIL has been wanting to do this for some time but fits into the category of people that need a support structure in place consisting of known faces before he does it. I let him know that he should just go ahead and sign up for Road Atlanta (closer to where they live). I also mentioned that he and his group should put you down as referring them if signing up. You deserve the credit for promoting them the way you are and hopefully will be able to use it towards driving sessions or other schools.

In other news, no signals from my wife. Perhaps I better sign up for this and then gradually tell her.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Looks great! Expensive program though- for one day.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Geez, what ever happened to the old "I'm light'n out for the territories!" spirit?

Tell him to sign up! He'll have a full support structure in place after 10 minutes. Everyone is in the same boat. There was a seventy year old guy and an 18 year old who had just got his license in my school. At worst, he'll hate it and move on to other activities. At best, he'll have the time of his life. Tell him to try one of the one day schools.

Remember Helio? He loved the hyperdrive we talked him into taking last spring. It probably was the best thing he did all summer with his pants on!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Headchef
Looks great! Expensive program though- for one day.
It goes over and beyond what any club racing school will provide. In that sense it is worth the money if that is something of interest to you.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Geez, what ever happened to the old "I'm light'n out for the territories!" spirit?

Tell him to sign up! He'll have a full support structure in place after 10 minutes. Everyone is in the same boat. There was a seventy year old guy and an 18 year old who had just got his license in my school. At worst, he'll hate it and move on to other activities. At best, he'll have the time of his life. Tell him to try one of the one day schools.

Remember Helio? He loved the hyperdrive we talked him into taking last spring. It probably was the best thing he did all summer with his pants on!
He did try a one day experience at Las Vegas Motor Speedway driving some exotic cars. Sadly the support structure was present with him at that time. So he is now trying to get them all to do it too or at the very least get me to commit. I let him know that in my case it was complicated

oh! and he is interested in the 3 day Mazdaspeed Racing school.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Originally Posted by blueosprey90' timestamp='1350433113' post='22087570

He did try a one day experience at Las Vegas Motor Speedway driving some exotic cars. Sadly the support structure was present with him at that time. So he is now trying to get them all to do it too or at the very least get me to commit. I let him know that in my case it was complicated

oh! and he is interested in the 3 day Mazdaspeed Racing school.
The 3 day MX5 was worth it for me. I believe that I was fortunate to get an even better deal than 30% but I would not count on that. I think they were slow selling seats so the discounts popped up. Had to be able to make it happen during certain times too so the flexibility of choosing times/tracks was not as great either.
I would really recommend it to someone who enjoys track days/is considering them/looking to get to racing of some sort. You qualify for regional SCCA license after the 3 day school. Plus you use their cars/tires/fluids/brake pads.....
Jeff is correct your support is there. Everyone wants to see everyone get better. I had a 70ish dad there with 3 of his sons. It was his b-day and he wanted to do it with them. We had one lady, a couple of young guns and a large selection of late 20's to 50's. There will always be someone to learn from!

Quick Reply: Driving and Race School