New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Go Pro Hero 2 Microphone

Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Go Pro Hero 2 Microphone

I've been trying to determine what external microphone is best suited for our track use of the Go Pro camera. I know zilch about microphomnes or recording.

From what I can tell based on internet postings (all of which are at least 6 months old), the microphone will work best if it has its own power source. Some mono mikes without a power source did not function. Other mono mikes without a power source supposedly drained the Go Pro battery.

I was originally going to go with a mike from a small company named Giant Squid based on some video posts and recommendations by some dirt bikers who wore the mike under their shirts to eliminate wind sound. I sent off an e-mail to Giant Squid asking some questions, as its mono microphone did not seem to specifically come with a battery pack. That was about a week ago and I have not had a reply.

So it looks like I'm going to go with this mike from Audio Technica. It is currently listed at about $18, down from $39 - I can hardly go wrong. The downside is that it has a 20 foot cord. My plan (depending on what it looks like) is to cut out a section and solder the ends.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...PTO?tag=vig-20

On pages 6 and 7 of this thread, getfast posts half a dozen on-track videos with the microphone in different locations in the car.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/978.../page__st__125

Does anyone have a better recommendation?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Jeff - BM612 has quite a few accessories for the Go Pro and should be able to give you an informed insight.

However, I want to ask, what do you hope to achieve with a microphone? How do you think it will enhance the videos you are recording and how will it assist in helping you learn from watching those videos? Those questions came to mind. I'll dig around too and see if I can find some info.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM

#1 - get rid of the wind.

#2 - I hear far more sound than the Go-Pro picks up. For the S2000 maybe no big deal, but for the MGA the camera probably picks up 20% of the sound that I hear.

With a 20 foot cord, maybe I'll wear the mike under the helmet and chat to myself while trying to avoid injury, death and destruction.

By the way, I sent you some mags to be re-read.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I wasn't aware that the Go-Pro had a provision for an external mic.

I have a powered mic that I used with my bullet camera. It worked well in the S2000. I had it buried in the center console near the front. I need to look into connecting it to a Go-Pro.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Read through the reviews for the mic from Amazon. Read the negative ones first. It appears to work for the vast majority of people and I expect will be an improvement over the Go Pro itself. Considering its low price I think it may very well be worth purchasing and if nothing we get some R&D through trial and error.

Was at the Apple Store last month to purchase a cover. While there I saw cases with built in lenses for the iPhone. What's more they also have this case that mounts to a helmet. Considering I was black-flagged for mounting the GoPro on the outside, I want to try and see if I can get a mount for the iPhone that I can use both in the cabin or mounted to my helmet. That accessory was pricy and I wanted to some more R&D rather than make an impulsive purchase.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
By the way, I sent you some mags to be re-read.
I look forward to receiving them. The ones you gave me were great reads. Thank you so much Jeff
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I wasn't aware that the Go-Pro had a provision for an external mic.

I have a powered mic that I used with my bullet camera. It worked well in the S2000. I had it buried in the center console near the front. I need to look into connecting it to a Go-Pro.
Mark, the Go Pro Hero 2 has a port for an external mike. Earlier versions of the camera do not. To use it, one needs to get a skeleton housing or else drill a hole in the housing that comes with the camera. The hole is necessary to insert the connector.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the same microphone you listed on a GoPro 2. For the price, I think it's great & certainly gets the job done. I just rolled up & zip tied the extra length. Here's a video below of the mic in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdx22..._3mkog&index=7
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM

I bit the bullet and bought the microphone.

1. The price of a skeleton housing has skyrocketed! It had been about $39. This week it looks like it has been upped to $59 at most places. I was able to get from a scuba vendor (why would divers require or want a skeleton housing?) for $36 with free shipping.

2. The price of the microphone was about $20 below list at the link I gave. Higher everywhere else. I feared it could only go up.

Thank's Ketchup for the input.

(Wasn't there a guy in the Popeye cartoons who loved ketchup? Any relation?)

Hey, that's a pretty interesting set up you have with your video - especially the shot of the feet. Maybe I need to learn left foot braking. I can't heel and toe.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you Jeff. I have been on the fence about a go pro for a couple of years, always seems some other part is more important at the time. Maybe this season will get lucky and win the go pro contest I enter religiously

Quick Reply: Go Pro Hero 2 Microphone